3 Sigma J45 Impulse Response Test!

iaresee

Administrator
Not sure how I missed this, but 3 Sigma captured my favorite acoustic guitar: the venerable Gibson J45.

I had previously bought their J15 captures as they were the closest they had to the J45 and was kind of underwhelmed by them. Not at all like the J45 mic'ed sound. So I'd gone back to that old Taylor acoustic capture that's been floating around here for free for ever. Stumble on the J45's this afternoon and figured why not? $10, right?

Oh. Emm. Gee.

Yea, now THIS is what my J45 sounds like when it's recorded well with mics!

I'm super impressed.

Signal chain was J45 --> Axe-Fx III --> Logic X. No post processing in Logic at all. Everything you hear is Axe-Fx III. Preset was running a 2 IR mix of a soundhole and a piezo capture in equal amounts. There's Studio FF Compressor 1 on there to keep it bright, lively and in check. And then a wee bit of small room reverb at the end for space.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.14.25 PM.png

Delicious.

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8158 -- you'll, of course, need to buy the IRs and adjust the cab block to match the slots where you saved them on your Axe-Fx III or FM3.

Last edited:
@iaresee would you mind sharing your patch? Your recording pushed me into purchasing the irs.
Sure: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8158

The IRs I used are visible in the first post but play around with the them -- they describe what each letter means (more bass, less bass, etc.) in their README you get with the IRs.

Kudos to @FractalAudio for the compressor settings. He had posted those at some point as a "keep levels in check" type of setting for near the end of a signal chain and I've put those settings to good use a few times now.

Just bought the Ir's and loaded your preset. Threw in a graphic EQ and a slight Comp tweak and the result has been REALLY good. Thx for sharing.

Ian -

sorry if i missed this info earlier in comments - what was the guitar you used (for playing, not the IR)? is that simply an under-saddle?
Also, did you experiment with direct signal + mic IR? i thought it interesting to mix piezo IR w/ mic IR - I would guess that's to keep character matched.
I'm knocking around an FM3 to handle live duties for acoustic - i play guitar (mostly acoustic..), mandolin, some other things to fill in. I figured on capturing some live IR's of my instruments, but i'd like to play with blending in other (large-body) IR's as well. I know you can blend between 2 cabs/IR's, but is there also a mix control to blend in original sound, or would that require running a parallel circuit? I have not been in the modeling realm previously, but looking at the tone-dexter now has me exploring the rabbit hole.

thanks-
tim

what was the guitar you used (for playing, not the IR)? is that simply an under-saddle?
A Gibson J45 with the factory undersaddle piezo setup. I think it's a 2005 or so.

Also, did you experiment with direct signal + mic IR?
Yea, I mixed in some of the direct, piezo signal but didn't really like it -- it had too much quack. One of the IRs in that dual IR setup is technically an EQ'ed piezo IR. Hard to explain how it sounds, but it's got some of that top end'ish quack but more body to it?

I know you can blend between 2 cabs/IR's, but is there also a mix control to blend in original sound, or would that require running a parallel circuit?
The "Air" parameter on the CAB block blends in the signal from the input to the CAB block so you could use that parameter on the CAB block to add in direct signal. In the case of recording, the reamp track you capture is the same as running the guitar straight into the DAW so you can always blend that in in the DAW mix.

but looking at the tone-dexter now has me exploring the rabbit hole
Welcome, Alice. We have cake and tea. :)

Back
Top Bottom