3 Sigma IR's?

Discussion in 'AX8 Discussion' started by RKF, Nov 12, 2017.

1. RKF

RKF
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Anyone have experience with these? I just bought two packs: Marshall Basketweave (Greenbacks) and Marshall 2551 (V30's) and they're the harshest most ice picky IR's I've ever heard. I don't see anything in the included documentation that shows what mics are used. Anyone know? All I see is a diagram of where the mic placements are. Man, really disappointed in these.

2. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse
    Mostly Wrong

Yea. I tried their acoustic IRs and they were so-so. Was underwhelmed by all the cabinet IRs I demo'ed from them.

bradlake likes this.
  3. bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Somebody must like them, but sadly, I’m not one ......

4. h.c.e.

h.c.e.
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Bought a few cabs from them once, and won’t be doing so again as I was very underwhelmed. The ‘a’ captures (uses a “colored” tube power amp I gather?) seemed completely hyped in the bass and treble frequencies and were entirely unusable for me. Their ‘b’ captures (supposedly “neutral”?) were mostly lifeless, uninspiring, and nowhere near as good as the IRs i’ve got from Celestion, OH, or Fractal.

I’ve only found some use in their Soldano captures and even then it required way more tweaking to the cab block then IRs from other vendors. I’d love to see another IR provider shoot captures of a Soldano cab as I have no doubt they’d be way better.

5. Habuman

Habuman
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Here is a video that I check out from time-to-time to hear cab differences. Some 3 Sigma IRs are included.

6. Josetxu

Josetxu
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I bought their Hiwatt IRs and were awful and useless.

7. booner

booner
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Got a whole bunch of them .
    You've got to hicut them real hard. Cutting mine around 5000hz 12db.

8. Brian Dixon

Brian Dixon
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I've got to the point that you can waste a lot of money buying these things when all the tools are already in the ax8 to begin with. However acoustic irs are kind of an untapped market. I like what their irs do to my acoustic electric. Maybe if other companies jump on board making those someone could do better but I do not have anybody to compare to and I quit looking cause Ill be tempted to spend more money.

9. fireheart7

fireheart7
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I have thought about ordering their acoustic IRs but whwn I compare the ones I found free floating around the forums to my Fishman Aura- they are so close that I have just kept using those and I'm ok with that... you're right that is an untapped market.

10. Jarick

Jarick
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

I've got a bunch of them when I fell down the IR rabbit hole hard. They are easy to use (fewer options) but hit or miss for me. The cab either sounds good or awful. The newer ACE models have a little smoother high end. I usually ended up mixing two cabs to try and even out the sound...Friedman and Mesa were a good combo. Vox is good as well.

11. booner

booner
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I've done a mix of Diezel and Marshall G12T that worked out great.

12. Sonofiam

Sonofiam
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Haven't looked at 3 Sigma and from the general consensus here I probably won't. The only reason I bought 3rd party IR's was inability of Cab Lab to import and mix stock IR's from the AX8.

Everyone has their opinion, and there are some really good stock IR's, but I've found the ability to mix different mics and/or mic placements gives me more of the "live" cab sound I'm looking for.

13. Richard Lainegard

Richard Lainegard
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Depends... for some stuff I actually prefer their Martin D45 Acoustic Soundhole 2A
    as a single instance IR, which sounds very "natural" and not very processed at all.
    But also depends on the PA I'm running through, those works best in like a larger church system.
    On a smaller say 2x12 PA for lounge gigs, I gravitate more towards the "mix ready" IR's
    of a taylor (say the Fishman, or even the DTAR's).
    Have a gander here and see what you like, noone's live situation is the same,
    and thus I always have about 10 different IR's loaded up in slots so I can easily
    tweak during soundcheck to find one that best fits the room and system
    (rather than trying to EQ out what I don't like which seldoms works as well).
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5t9w2f2bs5njvv/AAAJbRE4cQ-lam5gclFZGyLua?dl=0

fireheart7 likes this.
  14. fireheart7

fireheart7
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Thanks for sharing!