3 sigma initial impressions

mistermikev

Experienced
so no affiliation or anything... but I thought I'd give some feedback on some 3 sigma stuff I got the other day.

got a couple of acoustic irs - the J45 and the D45. My intention was to add a bit more 'fullness' and/or variation to my singlecut acoustic. def hits the spot. well recorded.

comes with a few variety of recordings - electric (I assume for use with solidbody w piezo), kemper profiling amp (eww), and acoustic - which has subfolders for piezo, soundhole and es2 pickups. 15 piezo variations to choose from and I beileve it was mostly the 'bold' ones that ended up going on my axefx. Def the most professional sounding acoustic irs I've heard.

also picked up the prescott bass - upright. I don't currently have a fretless... and didn't go in expecting it to convert my bass to a standup... but it does a nice job of conveying some of that standup character on to my jazzbass. I expect it would work really well with a fretless or an acoustic bass.

anywho, my 2 cents.

I really like 3-Sigma cab IRs, and think they are some of the best out there. Tried many others, but always go back to the 3sigma - especially the H&K, Soldano and Mesa cabs.
Maybe I’m just so accustomed to their sound, but for me they sound “fuller” and more dynamic than IRs from most other sources.

I really like 3-Sigma cab IRs, and think they are some of the best out there. Tried many others, but always go back to the 3sigma - especially the H&K, Soldano and Mesa cabs.
Maybe I’m just so accustomed to their sound, but for me they sound “fuller” and more dynamic than IRs from most other sources.
they def have some things going for them and are among my favs for sure. Was just going through and comparing some irs for the tweed twin last night... using some new headphones and found the 3sig version to my top pick among the one's I have. I had overlooked it previously and I'm gonna blame that on the old headphones. either way... good stuff for sure!

they def have some things going for them and are among my favs for sure. Was just going through and comparing some irs for the tweed twin last night... using some new headphones and found the 3sig version to my top pick among the one's I have. I had overlooked it previously and I'm gonna blame that on the old headphones. either way... good stuff for sure!
Maybe it is just my DT-990 😁

I have thought about trying their stuff for a while but there is very little information about how their product comes. When you buy an IR how many do you get and what's the format? By format I mean selection, I know they are in wav.

I have thought about trying their stuff for a while but there is very little information about how their product comes. When you buy an IR how many do you get and what's the format? By format I mean selection, I know they are in wav.
i know... some basic documentation would go a long way. 44.1 - 96 4 folders.
their new thing is to give you 'balanced', 'bright', 'brightx', and 'warm'. 1-5 with an a/b for each so 40 files. honestly their strong point is not their labeling. I would much prefer to know what mics are being used "57+414+121" and a more conventional listing of "how many inches" + cap/cap-edge/cone/cone-edge like many of the other big names are using. I find it much harder to predict what numbers/brightness I'll like without going thru them all. that said... the important thing is they sound good and they do sound good and there is a variety of good in there. hope that helps.

They also recently updated their IRs - if you bought a previous pack, log in on their site and download the new version.

I have yet to do this for my martin pack, but I plan ti.

i know... some basic documentation would go a long way. 44.1 - 96 4 folders.
their new thing is to give you 'balanced', 'bright', 'brightx', and 'warm'. 1-5 with an a/b for each so 40 files. honestly their strong point is not their labeling. I would much prefer to know what mics are being used "57+414+121" and a more conventional listing of "how many inches" + cap/cap-edge/cone/cone-edge like many of the other big names are using. I find it much harder to predict what numbers/brightness I'll like without going thru them all. that said... the important thing is they sound good and they do sound good and there is a variety of good in there. hope that helps.
My absolute favourite 3S combo:
Sold 4x12 Balanced 1a panned to left and Sold 4x12 Bright 1a panned to right, pair with FAS Modern or Plexi Jumped 🤟🏻

I downloaded the mesa 2x12 over the weekend so I could compare to the York ones. I found the 3 sigma ones to be quite scooped and bright.
Much prefer the York audio ones.

Back
Top Bottom