3 Sigma Audio IRs?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/shop/

Pretty comprehensive collection (not that I need one more IR!). Basically sticking to one set of speakers per cab; the most common type(s), which I like, due to the simplicity of it. But, there are some cabs I've not seen captured elsewhere.

Anyone have any experience?

$246.40 for 44 cabs with specific speakers (with the 20% discount).

It really seems to cover most of the basics. No AlNiCo gold or silvers though, no EV12L or M, no SRO, etc., so they are missing some nice ones.

And no, I have no affiliation and I haven't bought any, either.

I am curious about these too. I already have slightly more IRs than I have brain cells - but I am basically addicted to buying more and auditioning them in my living room for hours. I am very happy with my current selections from FAS, ML, Ownhammer, TAF, and Cabir.eu - but - due to my addiction I might buy some of these 3 Sigmas later. I will report back.

Part of what is attractive about these is that the cabs have their "usual" speakers, and nothing else. Simplifies. But, there are so many different ways to handle using IRs. I've chosen 1 IR and used that for as many applications as I can. And, I like Kevin's multi-speaker pack with one cab using a ton of different speakers.

Without a doubt, choosing IRs (particularly with all the great available options now) is a time-consuming process. It can be well worth it, and a good learning experience. Naturally, those who produce them are the ones spending the most time!

I bought the Friedman cab and the Marshall with V30. Those IR sounds and feel really good! Not many options but they sound clear and mix ready out of the box. Definitly a good 3party option!

I think I need, like, 5000 more IRs of a random big wooden box filled with Celestion V30s and shot with different mics. Sometimes I literally feel like those are the only 4x12 cab speakers in existence.

I bought a couple libraries out of curiosity and was pretty let down. You only get a total of 10 IR's. Five positions through tube and solid state capture methods and no single mic captures, so you can't make your own mixes. The manual is pretty vague, so I don't know if they use all mics in all captures or what, but everything felt very buzzy and boomy. If you're looking for something authentic, this wouldn't be the way to get there. Just trying to save you a few bucks.

Different from what the thread of The Gear Page is saying, but... I think I trust your judgement, given the excellent recording work you do with Kevin's IRs.

I bought the Vox AC30 and Freidman out of curiosity. They are good I guess, but I greatly prefer the IRs I bought from The Cab Factory / TAF.

Different from what the thread of The Gear Page is saying, but... I think I trust your judgement, given the excellent recording work you do with Kevin's IRs.

Thank you for your confidence. :) I think the main thing to consider with that thread is that not everyone is using Fractal, so they may be using modelers or plugins that don't have the realistic top end detail that Cliff has managed to get, in which case those other guys may find that the 3S stuff works great with their rigs. They're obviously working for some people. Just not my cup o' tea.

My experience with these so far has been good. You need to make sure you are using the solid state captures. The tube amp captures are boomy and fuzzy, as one would expect.

Back
Top Bottom