3-pin midi sufficient for fw updates?

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
i had a custom panel done ala vafam.
noted that the 5-pin midi connector has only pins 2,3,4 wired.
i read that the axe fx/mfc101 needs all 5 pins for the tuner and tempo functions to work.
as i use the cat5 cable to connect my mfc and the midi connector will only be used for mfc firmware updates, will the 3-pin connections be enough?

Pins 2/4/5 wired (like many MIDI cables) will work for firmware updates and MFC backup/restore. Pins 1 & 3 are only needed if you want 2-way communication (Axe-FX mode) over 1 MIDI cable when using it as a controller.

thanks, bakerman, for chiming in,
i have already rewired my panel with a spare 5-pin midi cable i had lying around, just so it will be fully functional as and when needed.

when i collected my panel, i noted only three connectors wired and showed the person who wired it for me a picture i found on vafam website indicating all five connectors wired. he told me that despite having five pins, midi only needs three active pins for midi messages. i assumed he was the expert and left it as that.

feeling insecure, i started googling and it appears that the three-pin-only remark was correct given that monster cable's midi cables also have only three active pins. a further search on the fractal forum and fractal wiki seems to suggest that a five active pin cable is essential particularly for the axe fx. one of my searches also threw up a post where cliff disapproves of the monster midi cable specifically. this then prompted my thread, given that i had original intended for the midi connectors for limited use (i.e. firmware updates) and not for controlling the axe fx.

This thread got me thinking since Bakermans response makes total sense. I had a issue a while back trying to dump my MFC settings and attributed it to having a 3pin vs. 5pin cable since I could not get it to work with the 3pin and had no issues with the 5pin so I thought maybe there was some kind of 2 way communication needed in the dump process.

So I pulled out the old cable and tried it again with no success. Hmmm. I took it apart and low and behold its a faulty cable with one of the wires connected to pin 4 on one side and pin 3 on the other. Dohhhhh!

Sorry for any confusion or miscommunication on my part.

no worries, cobbler, no harm done.
i have the midi wired up for 5-pin which adds to the flexibility and in the process learnt more about midi and how to wire a midi cable.
you figured out your midi cable issue and now have a spare one.
all's good :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom