Wish 3 Or More CC Options Per Controller

CactusTone

Inspired
Is it in the realm of possibility to allow Controllers to contain more than "on," "off," "last," options? For example, "A-X" and "last?"

Having the ability to assign more than 2 Drive levels using a single Controller would be extremely useful. Currently, I'm using a Controller assigned to the Drive parameter in the Amp Block to go from clean to break up, but if I want to go beyond those two settings I need to go to another Amp Channel or use a Drive Block/Boost Controller. The Channel switch option produces an audible gap, and the Drive Block/Boost option effects the tone in a way that is less appealing to my ear. Adjusting the Amp's Drive parameter sounds best for my needs.

I'm not sure I'm following completely... How are you controlling the Drive parameter?

You're saying "Controller" but what controller are you using? Do you mean Scene Controller?

A modifier on the Drive parameter can adjust the full range of the parameter already, so it comes down to the controller of choice.

I guess it would be a Scene Controller. There are 8 available with "on" "off" "last" options. Would be nice to have Scene Controllers with more capability. For example, Scene 1 has Drive at 1.5, Scene 2 has Drive at 2.2, Scene 3 takes Drive to 3, etc.

I guess it would be a Scene Controller. There are 8 available with "on" "off" "last" options. Would be nice to have Scene Controllers with more capability. For example, Scene 1 has Drive at 1.5, Scene 2 has Drive at 2.2, Scene 3 takes Drive to 3, etc.
That is for Control Switches... And specifically CS per Scene.

Scene Controllers are something different and can set any value desired for a given control.

Yeah, but while you're in a scene, it'd be cool to be able to change a scene controller with a footswitch.

Another way to look at it is as another way to get to controllers that remember their state per scene.

Is there a way to have a switch on an FC controller change a Scene Controller?
Yes. Set up a scene switch, and the scene controllers will change to the values you have set for them for the scene in question. I recently set up all my scene-based presets up so thet scene controller #1 bumps up the output from -4.5dB to 0dB in the VolPan block after the amp/cab that is in all my presets. It is more seamless than using two channels to simply goose a knob. Zero gap....

Yes. Set up a scene switch, and the scene controllers will change to the values you have set for them for the scene in question. I recently set up all my scene-based presets up so thet scene controller #1 bumps up the output from -4.5dB to 0dB in the VolPan block after the amp/cab that is in all my presets. It is more seamless than using two channels to simply goose a knob. Zero gap....
I seem to have misplaced my thinkerthing...

Are you saying that a footswitch that changes scenes will change all the scene controllers to the values they have for that scene? If so, while that's true of course, it's not what I'm after. I don't want to change scenes.

I want a footswitch that directly changes the value of a scene controller, like your volume boost, but without changing scenes.

But I must be misunderstanding you, what it seems like you're saying doesn't make sense. Please try again for the slow gears among us.

(FWIW, my boost switch just un-bypasses a 4.8db (currently) vol-pan block after the amp. Simple, no gap. It sticks to the scene though, like all bypass states, so leaving the scene shuts it off, and going back to the scene turns it back on unless I've turned out off first. I have Scene Revert off.)

I seem to have misplaced my thinkerthing...

Are you saying that a footswitch that changes scenes will change all the scene controllers to the values they have for that scene? If so, while that's true of course, it's not what I'm after. I don't want to change scenes.
Ah, k, wasn't sure.

Yeah, but while you're in a scene, it'd be cool to be able to change a scene controller with a footswitch.

Another way to look at it is as another way to get to controllers that remember their state per scene.
You could set up two controllers on a single modifier, each set to 50% with one being the scene controller and the other being a control switch, then set both ends of the line to 0% and the middle to 100% to yield an upside-down parabola.
Screen%20Shot%202020-09-23%20at%207.22.38%20PM.png

Sorry for the old screenshot, but I am in IN and not home, so can't take a current one.

This lets you have the volume boost controlled by the scene, but also controllable via the control switch, which flips it to whatever state it's not in, i.e. if it is boosted, the control switch un-boosts it, but if it is not boosted, the CS boosts it.

The other nice detail is you gain use of the attack/release settings, so you can ass a little bit of glide (or a lot, if you want) to the boost on/off. 10ms is still pretty abrupt, but 35-45ms really smooths out the boost so it's like you whipped up/down a fader. Smoooove....

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it (using two controllers on one modifier) is a trick that I use a lot....

Last edited:
Ah, k, wasn't sure.

You could set up two controllers on a single modifier, each set to 50% with one being the scene controller and the other being a control switch, then set both ends of the line to 0% and the middle to 100% to yield an upside-down parabola.
Screen%20Shot%202020-09-23%20at%207.22.38%20PM.png

Sorry for the old screenshot, but I am in IN and not home, so can't take a current one.

This lets you have the volume boost controlled by the scene, but also controllable via the control switch, which flips it to whatever state it's not in, i.e. if it is boosted, the control switch un-boosts it, but if it is not boosted, the CS boosts it.

The other nice detail is you gain use of the attack/release settings, so you can ass a little bit of glide (or a lot, if you want) to the boost on/off. 10ms is still pretty abrupt, but 35-45ms really smooths out the boost so it's like you whipped up/down a fader. Smoooove....

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it (using two controllers on one modifier) is a trick that I use a lot....
Thanks for explaining, good trick.

Where I'm interested in using something like this is to turn on a drive and a post-amp volume reduction block with one switch press, but still have it be on only in that scene. I'll need to think it through and try it.

Thanks for explaining, good trick.

Where I'm interested in using something like this is to turn on a drive and a post-amp volume reduction block with one switch press, but still have it be on only in that scene. I'll need to think it through and try it.
Control switch will do that, but to get it so the scene stores initial state, scene controller. The trick above will let the scene controller set initial state and still leave you a switch to stomp to flip the state. Since the switch is a control switch, it will stay in flipped state through scene changes, inverting the stored state. Not sure if that is 100% what you are after....

Control switch will do that, but to get it so the scene stores initial state, scene controller. The trick above will let the scene controller set initial state and still leave you a switch to stomp to flip the state. Since the switch is a control switch, it will stay in flipped state through scene changes, inverting the stored state. Not sure if that is 100% what you are after....
Nope, nuts, was afraid of that.

What I really want is to be able to turn more than one block on and off with one footswitch press, while preserving the existing behavior of bypass state being scene-specific.

Toggling multiple block requires a control switch, but those are inherently NOT scene-specific.

I was hoping that having a control switch directly change a scene controller could be another way to get there, but apparently not.

Back
Top Bottom