3 months REVIEW of my AXE FX 3 MKII TURBO with FC12

musicman0001

Experienced
This is my (!) personal (!) view after 3 months of my AXE FX 3 MKII TURBO with FC12.
  • Only HOME usage review (so low volume, as loud (stage) volume happens from june onwards)
  • Only FRFR on ADam Audio Speakers
  • AXE FX 3 is my only AUDIO SYSTEM (You Tube, Spotify, DAW, Guitars)
  • No real cabs or amps (they are all sold)
  • Everything is connected with 1 USB (no SPDIF etc...)

In short: Excelent product! Way better then any modeler I used and indeed way better "real amp / tube" with almost no tweaking compared to the axe fx 2 mk1

I started test to see if the unit could replace my Native Instrument Komplete Audio 6 interface. And although there are some small things to consider I made the switch as the quality is very good for audio processing and there is processing in tone or volume from other devices.

Since 19.05 the unit is for me the best unit I have ever used for modelling and to me the behaviour of the amps and the sound I would like to feel is more dynamic and I do not need to tweak the amps and also using different guitars is less of a struggle. This to me shows that the amps and fx are behaving more in line how it would feel and react in the "real" world with amp and cab.

Also the IO has been improved. It's way more flexible and many more options.

The factory presets and in special the updated 19.04 are great and very usable. As I have no reference amps or sounds with my axe fx3, i use the factory presets as a base for amp and cab settings and cab match ideas.

Also the flexibility with the FC12 unit is great. Whatever I would like to do, so far I have been able to make it work.

The integration of fractalbot and fc edit into axe fx edit makes things super easy to access.

Using it as an audio/DAW interface works great as well:
  • all those options of routing sound (USB into preset, 4 levels out, USB driver shows many in's and out from axe fx 3)
  • less latency for guitar sound to speaker (!!!)
  • almost no phasing usb audio and monitor in daw
  • an all ALL IN ONE solution
  • Way less earfatique (!!!!!)
Although it has some dissadvantage:
  • when the axe fx is doing some intensive stuff with firmware or presets the audio clitches when using it at same time as radio or music from internet
  • Volume mixing is less easy as the guitarsound and USB sound all go to speaker and there is no other way then using software gliders for all the computer related sound
  • There is no volume knob for Headphone out
Compared to AXE FX 2 MK1 the box is indeed a realy nice upgrade. If you have the money I would recommend to upgrade (including an FC) as the amp feel and behaviour of the tubes and FX (others would say more authentic, but I find the FAS models also very usable and they have no match in the real world hahaha) is so much better as with firmware update I did less tweaking and with 19.05 I mainly use the authentic section. Also it fixes most latency issues for me. Allthough I do sense some latency when using the pichblock(s). But even for me the pitchblock for whammy and virtual capro are now usable. In AXE FX 2 I never used them as I could feel it too much. Even in band situation. Now it's usable, but sometimes in the beginning of a song I notice it or when I suddely hear the notes from my guitar (then my brain seems to suddely not able to play correct timing anymore). But I'm sure the same would be with other great quality pitchshifters like the Ddrop and whammy from digitech. I can not compare the latency, bit I have seen on forums there is latancy (delay) there as well! The rest seems a matter of taste.

For home usage and as a guitarist it's a super great tool as this would never have been possible with real equipment as my ears would have been screwed. As I stated with the audio/DAW: playing guitar is now way better as I have really less earfatigue.

The only things I would like to see improved is the intuitivity of the user interface. More screen, less buttons. Selecting things with scrollbar instead of enter knob. Most probably done for safety reasons, bit also very frustrating at some time. Also when you use the unit as an audio interface (And I recommend especially for sensitive for latency users it as it lowers the latency for me noticably I guess around 7 ms dus to not using a soundcard). Some more I/O mixer and driver options for windows when using it as a soundcard especially some more volume control/mixing. When using AXE FX as a soundcard there would be no crackling when doing firmware or heavy processing (i.e. batch of presets) the sound from PC is NOT interupted or crackling. This behaviour I do not expect when using it as the central full sound system output to speakers. Long batchstuff is boring and listing or looking to youtube is then a great thing to do, except that the audio is crackling.

What I would like to see in next release of firmware or the new future unit(s)
  • more screen, less buttons with easier access and way more intuative (it's not real bad, but I think it's time to use the old axe fx way and invent from scratch where you can have the screen look like the old way (so more layout related screen stuff and touch sensible) and less buttons.
  • Maybe even fullscreen with rows of knows like levels and abcde where you can also push to enter the choice made.
    • Then with layouts you can show an amp head on the screen with knobs and these knobs are in line with the "real" knobs on the axe fx
    • So you still can assign volume for out etc.. but all those other behaviour should correspond with the GUI by direct access pressing the screen
  • wifi or bluethooth (i.e. wireless) access to PC, laptop, phone, tablet and also have an dedicated app for tablets or at least have virtual keyboard for entering text stuff
  • great wireless integration with floowboard
  • Tonematch functionality or tools AXE FX sound with FOH sound in relation to the room and the sound. AI functionality that gives you the best sound in relations our reference speakers you made the preset taken into account volume, delay of the room to avoid phasing, fletcher munson. That the AXE FX is also a measuring tool for FOH output. Instead of PEQing and global settings, but mathematical gives the best "sound" as you created on your reference situation. Like a FOH EQ tonematch to a certain reference (for examle a measurement of your monitors). Of course this means that there is a need of microphone or measurement tools. But worst case there is always a microphone on stage.
  • Something simular for preset sharing (Tonematch with a specific DI or reference sound within the preset when shared).
  • Pickup Emultion or guitar emulation
  • Having lowest latency possible, especially the pitchblock
  • Ability to assign the DAW audio directly to headphone or speaker (as I use the axe fx as main audio interface) and I want to be able to hear the audio from my axe fx through or with audio from DAW so I can hear what the sound of the mix is Iinstead of both (all) sound to speaker.
  • Possibility to have (wireless) midicontroller (virtual or real keyboard) to axe fx for live usage of midi interaction with the axe fx (think of parameters or playing wiht the synth. This would then also be great for external tools to play around with parameters as a stompbox instead of a footswith or a pedal-footcontroller. Easy usage of soundscaping or making stuff possible like MUSE.
  • More studio or VST integration as many sounds have processed (limiter, mazimizer)
But nowadays it's great to be a guitarist. I have never enjoyed so many amps and sounds that I can always having the same quality as I made or intended. So much possibility and flexibility in ONE BOX.

Sidenote: I have tried line 6 as well and many PC plugins and if I had the money to spare I would also like to have all other options like helix, kemper etc.. but with the quality I have with the axe fx I do not need all that anymore. Only some small dreams and needs, but I already have now what I always wanted. Great sound and with feel and emotion I also had with amp /cab. And after using it FRFR for a while now (since at least 3 years now) not using amp cabs I do not miss the amp in the room sound anymore. Although with the boom and volume with 2 headrush 108 that I have bought (I will go for MF10 soon I think) it's close but never will be the same. The axe fx will deliver STUDIO QUALITY line output taking into acount micing and pre-amps etc.. So you can never compare it to amp/cab if you do not use real cab. And no IR's including mics...

I stick with FRACTAL, but I am a gadget nerd, some day I will have a try. For now I only spend money on guitars or FRFR speakers or studio gear:)

Wow, that's a mouthful! I am in nearly the exact same boat as you!! Got my FXIII Turbo end of Dec '21 (about 3 months ago), have the FC12 controller as well, so far, it has only left the house once for a radio spot engagement (where the DJ could not figure out how to take my studio level line signal and properly route it)!!! You however have a lot more history than I do, but I am as equally impressed!!!! This is an incredible product!!!!! I tell people to picture a gymnasium filled with amps, cabinets and effects pedals ALL IN ONE BOX (at only 3U rackspace)!!!!!! Simply amazing and the constant and continuing updates makes it better every time! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights!

Back
Top Bottom