3 months in... And now V7

Kriig

Fractal Fanatic
Hi

I´ve used Axe-Fx for 3 years now. First Ultra, and now AXII for the last 3 months. I got the MFC at the same time as AXII. Smart move. It´s sooooo easy to work with.

My setup with the Ultra was: Ultra, Mesa 50/50 and a pair of custom 2x12 cabs(V30+Greenbacks)

This sounded, and still sounds, badass. I played a lot of amps in the shop i worked that i wanted, but when i played thru my own setup i knew i did not need it. The sounds i have in the Ultra is just killer. It´s MY sounds. Going thru PA, i could not match the rig. It sounded really good, but different. When the AXII came out, i wanted it. But after a while, playing my Ultra rig, i stepped back and just realized that the Ultra did the job.

Fast forward to november 2011. I ordered the AXII. I could just cancel it later, since there was 4-6 months list.
March/April 2012: My name came up, but i was on vacation for about 4-5 weeks. Sussi at G66 said she could hold on to it.
May 2012: AXII came into my house.

At first i used headphones. Then i used my Yamaha THR-10 for a while.
Finally i bought a pair of HK Premium Pro monitors. 600 watts wood wedges with 12" speaker, built in Germany. Punchy and clear sound.

I did some tweaking at home, pretty low volum. Really good sounding. Did 2 gigs with 6.02. At stage i got the speakers directly in my face(as they should). I had to turn down 16 and 8 khz and the high end was better. I had pretty good sound on stage, but not amazing. We got our own PA and soundman and he really liked the sound out of the PA. I was thinking i might try out AXII with the Mesa/Cab setup. Really interested in hearing how it sounded vs Ultra.
I took all my gear home. Played the Ultra for a while. Then hooked up AXII.. Needed some tweaking on the patches. Not much.

It sounded even better. Thank God... My use of money was well spent :)

I have a gig on saturday. I was really unsure of choice of rig. I´ve used the AXII/mesa for 3 weeks now. Getting stunning sounds, even at low volume.

THEN V7 CAME ALONG!!!!

Downloaded and turned on the Mesa rig.... OMG!!!! I can´t say exactly what has changed, but there was more "life" under the strings. Better harmonics, bloom, sustain, dynamics etc.. It´s like when you go from a midrange guitar to a highend. It´s those small improvemets. But those small things.... Man, those things are addictive. There is nothing like a great guitar vibrating in my hands.
The same thing aply to V7. Small things that is plain out addictive. When you sum these small things....... Well, you get the point.

I put in the 13 amp in a patch and tried all the new amps. Wonderful. My old patches sounded better. Better reverb, new drives, amps. Small things :D
I went to play with the rest of the band yesterday. Decided to take the HK monitors and try that. I hooked it up. Plugged in. Turned on cabsims..............

And it sounded like a copy of the mesa/cab rig!!! It transelates extremly well. It was like playing with real cabs. Just more transparent. Less bottom end(1x12"), but has enough of it. Does not mess up so much in the mix ;)
I pulled up the Lonestar patch, and the other guitarist asked if it was a Lonestar!!! I belive i can say that it´s spot on then :D
V7 is the magical thing happening. I feel i went from a 2000$ amp to a 5000$ amp. I had to play Little Wing with the new /13 patch. Just to hear that and the Lonestar patch in a mix. Best clean/breakup sound i´ve ever had. Pure love!!!

So.... V7 is just... just great. Had the IR´s changed to? I don´t know. But the Greenback/mesa V30 combination now sounds much like my custom 2x12. And i newer though i could get that without making my own IR´s. I´m now finally selling my Ultra(i think)

My main amps now: CAE Rythm, /13, Plexi, AC30, Different Fenders, Lonestar. Dirty Shirley may enter too.

I now RECOMMEND that you trying the HK Premium pro or HK Linear 5 monitors. I´m really satisfied. Really good price.

And i URGE you to try/buy the Fractal stuff. High end and extremly good service. And, of course, free updates :D

I´ve had Marshalls, Rivera, Fender, Peaveys, Mesas, other modeling stuff. Don´t miss it.
Last year i´ve played a lot with:
Marshall YJM, Mesa TA-30/15, RA-100, Mark V, Dual Rec, Mini Rec, AC-30HW, Suhr Badger, Fender Range, CAA OD series.
Don´t miss it.

Regards Johan

Last edited:
nice to hear as I am running my II out to a Mesa 50/50 as well (thru a recto cab)
but didn't get a chance to try it yet

I was looking for the "Like" button too. Great review. I'm really glad you are enjoying the Axe. I currently have the beta firmware installed, but I'm downloading the official release as I type this. I tried out the beta last night and couldn't put the guitar down.

Back
Top Bottom