3 Live EQ Tips the pros use to take tones to the next level - Fractal Friday with Cooper Carter #24

That was my favourite video so far, and probably the most high-value advice I’ve ever received in 14 minutes. Thanks so much Mr. Cooper.

And the playing! Oh man! So much to enjoy all at once!

Question: when doing a cut in the cab block, is there a difference between doing it on the Preamp tab, as Cooper did in the video, and doing a cut on the first tab of the cab block?
As I understand it, there's no difference other than the fact that on the first tab of the block you can set individual cuts for each cab, and on the preamp tab the cuts affect all cabs. No need to have a preamp selected, the cuts work even without one.

Great video @Cooper Carter . I love these tips and I guess my question is if you have a lot of presets. (with the exception of the pick attack one) why not just go into the Global GEQ output and make these adjustments so that they would apply to the entire gig regardless of preset?

Thanks

Great video @Cooper Carter . I love these tips and I guess my question is if you have a lot of presets. (with the exception of the pick attack one) why not just go into the Global GEQ output and make these adjustments so that they would apply to the entire gig regardless of preset?

Thanks
The pre-EQ on the amp is more about changing how the amp responds than changing the final frequencies you hear. I tend to cut bass quite aggressively before the amp, for example, to get it nice and ‘crisp’. So that wouldn’t work with a global output eq.

There’s another video Cooper has where he cuts a frequency in amp pre-eq (or boosts, can’t remember), and then does the opposite in a PEQ block at the end of the chain (if I remember correctly)

I suppose the cab lo/hi cut could be done with global eq. Or you could use fractool to bulk edit if you have heaps of presets.

This is excellent @Cooper Carter thank you so much! As a home player, I am always interested in what goes into a live tone for those that play out.

Is that patch you use in the video available anywhere? I subscribe to your masterclass - perhaps it is buried in there and I missed it?

Thanks
I had the same question. With certain cabs and mic combinations, I can see using the individual cab channel high and low cuts surgically, for example cutting some of the highs of an SM-57. But for general use to make the soundman's job easier, I'd think that global cuts would be more analogous with what you'd expect him to be doing at the board.

Possibly the most useful tone shaping video I’ve seen in a long time. Made an immediate improvement in all the Presets I’ve modified so far.

I had the same question. With certain cabs and mic combinations, I can see using the individual cab channel high and low cuts surgically, for example cutting some of the highs of an SM-57. But for general use to make the soundman's job easier, I'd think that global cuts would be more analogous with what you'd expect him to be doing at the board.
Yes me too. And it would save you from having separate presets for live vs practice. I love the idea thoush

MM

This is excellent @Cooper Carter thank you so much! As a home player, I am always interested in what goes into a live tone for those that play out.

Is that patch you use in the video available anywhere? I subscribe to your masterclass - perhaps it is buried in there and I missed it?

Every Fractal Friday patch is available on the AxeChange. Links in the video descriptions.

Thanks

I don't use Global EQ since my presets are for a mix of uses: live, studio, beta testing, etc.

If your rig is only going to be used live, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom