3 Live EQ Tips the pros use to take tones to the next level - Fractal Friday with Cooper Carter #24

Here are three simple EQ tweaks I add to almost every live preset I've ever designed...

Need to share this with EVERY other guitar player I have ever played with. :)

I also blame Metallica for the mid-empty/bass and treble heavy tones too
damn many guitar players have aimed for as the ultimate. It's not!! ;)

Isn't a 1kHz boost going to potentially induce ear fatigue over time, as well as step on the
vocals, which tend to hover in that same midrange frequency?

I can jive with it as a "solo" boost.... but probably wouldn't ever consider a 1kHz boost on all
the time.

Isn't a 1kHz boost going to potentially induce ear fatigue over time, as well as step on the

I can jive with it as a "solo" boost.... but probably wouldn't ever consider a 1kHz boost on all
the time.
I have a light cut around 1900Hz for rhythm scenes for that reason (since they're often in use during vocals), though applied in a PEQ at the end of the chain. But the high and low shelves sure have been a big help for live blending for all my scenes. Great advice from Mr. Carter as usual!

You mentioned FRFR monitors, but does this apply to in-ears as well? I use IEM's and never felt the need to make any adjustments to get a clear mix (and I'm a weirdo that likes to hear everything in my IEM mix).

I have a light cut around 1900Hz for rhythm scenes for that reason (since they're often in use during vocals), though applied in a PEQ at the end of the chain. But the high and low shelves sure have been a big help for live blending for all my scenes. Great advice from Mr. Carter as usual!

Thanks. I need to try that freq. :)

I have found that if I boost any mid-frequencies it is for solo use, or I boost above or below 1k not to
step on the vocals.

the time.

So, keep in mind, this is a boost in the pre-EQ of the amplifier, so it's more subtle and dynamic than an EQ introduced into the signal after the amplifier. So, as I say in the video, I like to think of this tweak more as changing how the guitar speaks in the frequency spectrum more than where. Otherwise, I agree: a post bumb at 1K, esp over +3dB might risk being harsh. But, also, as always, imo it depends on the intention of the tone and environment it's in.

Great stuff. I’ve used the cut on the cab block but not the other ones.

Question: when doing a cut in the cab block, is there a difference between doing it on the Preamp tab, as Cooper did in the video, and doing a cut on the first tab of the cab block?

Very informative. The Cab Block Low/High cut idea made me go and check my settings, only for me to realise I was doing that already. Pleasing to know I was on the right track with that.

Back
Top Bottom