FM3 3 Gibson Les Paul comparison

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hi All,
Here is a very quick demo of these 3 guitars in my hunt for a good Gibson Les Paul !
Please don't mind the fast recording of both audio & video....once I have found mine , I will do a proper demo with awesome sounds.....in this video I just used a basic preset which I use for my Fender Strat so not representative at all BUT still sounding good IMHO :)

Gear used : Fractal Audio FM3 with the Marshall JTM45 and Marshall JCM800 amps.

personally i liked the R8 with the R9 in a close second. The r8 seemed to me anyways to have a bit of smoother highs and i really liked that neck pickup...but like all players, its what feels best and sounds best to the player. I think any of the 3 are incredible instruments and i hope one really connects for you.

All three guitars sound really awesome...neck to neck..
Anyone knows what makes price differences between '58 and '59 Gibson?
They say all the spec.'s are almost same but workman's hand-washing wages
are added on '59 as well as existence of top. Is that true?.....

personally i liked the R8 with the R9 in a close second. The r8 seemed to me anyways to have a bit of smoother highs and i really liked that neck pickup...but like all players, its what feels best and sounds best to the player. I think any of the 3 are incredible instruments and i hope one really connects for you.
Yes, they all have their flavors for sure….. the R9 felt fear the moment I picked it up……!!
But the price difference between the standard and R9 : €2800 !!!

All three guitars sound really awesome...neck to neck..
Anyone knows what makes price differences between '58 and '59 Gibson?
They say all the spec.'s are almost same but workman's hand-washing wages
are added on '59 as well as existence of top. Is that true?.....
Price difference can be something like €1000 over here in Europe …. That’s huge but it feels like a better guitar and more to my taste sound wise ;)

Enjoyed the video-they all sounded great, the R-8 & 9's sounded a bit smoother like maybe a more seasoned slab of mahogany but I liked the Standard best...especially for the money and even the Vermillion finish is really nice. Love my LP Standard.

Enjoyed the video-they all sounded great, the R-8 & 9's sounded a bit smoother like maybe a more seasoned slab of mahogany but I liked the Standard best...especially for the money and even the Vermillion finish is really nice. Love my LP Standard.
Thanks and I bought today a 1990 Classic BUT it seems that it is a Pre Historic R0 Custom Shop.....will look further into that ;)

The last one seemed to be a better fit for you…like the playing was “smoother or something. Maybe because you’d just played the same tune a few times before, but to me that was the most musical.
Thanks
Pauly

The last one seemed to be a better fit for you…like the playing was “smoother or something. Maybe because you’d just played the same tune a few times before, but to me that was the most musical.
Thanks
Pauly
Thanks Pauly and yes ; the moment I picked up the R9, it felt right……

I'd just throw in....don't write off the Standard based on one example. I played almost a dozen when I I was shopping for mine. Some were downright awful, and only two of them stood out. I ended up with the second best because when I went back, the best one was sold.

That R9 does sound really outstanding....and very nice playing!

I'd just throw in....don't write off the Standard based on one example. I played almost a dozen when I I was shopping for mine. Some were downright awful, and only two of them stood out. I ended up with the second best because when I went back, the best one was sold.

That R9 does sound really outstanding....and very nice playing!
Thanks man, and yes the R9 does play great and sound very good !!!

Back
Top Bottom