Not a Bug 3.1 Tuner input mute also muting input 2

Poparad

Power User
I've got a reverb pedal in the out2/in2 effects loop and now in FW 3.1 the tuner mutes the signal from Input 2 as well as Input 1, killing my reverb when I switch to tune. Regardless of whether input 1 or input 2 is selected as the source, they both get muted.

Last edited:
I've got a reverb pedal in the out2/in2 effects loop and now in FW 3.1 the tuner mutes the signal from Input 2 as well as Input 1, killing my reverb when I switch to tune. Regardless of whether input 1 or input 2 is selected as the source, they both get muted.
This is as designed and is not a bug.

That's a terrible design choice, IMO. It completely ruins the ability to run reverb and delay pedals in the effects loop because engaging the tuner kills it. Also, I was really excited to try the new "heel-down-tuner" option as it would free up one of my switches but if every time I bring my volume pedal down, it kills my reverb and makes it completely unusable.

This is as designed and is not a bug.

With all due respect, just because it’s working as designed doesn’t mean it isn’t a bug. If you have a reasonable explanation for why a user should expect it to work the way it does, that would mean it isn’t a bug.

Also, I was really excited to try the new "heel-down-tuner" option as it would free up one of my switches but if every time I bring my volume pedal down, it kills my reverb and makes it completely unusable.

If you're doing this there probably isn't a need to use a mute option in the tuner settings. I get what you're saying for switch-based tuner activation though; keeping ambient effects or something else audible through input 2 would be convenient as an option at least.

With all due respect, just because it’s working as designed doesn’t mean it isn’t a bug. If you have a reasonable explanation for why a user should expect it to work the way it does, that would mean it isn’t a bug.
Merriam Webster says:

an unexpected defect, fault, flaw, or imperfection

I guess that leaves it open as to whom the "unexpected" part is relative to. ;)

IMO, if it is operating as the designer intended, regardless of what the user is expecting, it is not a bug but a wrong user expectation.

But, maybe that's just me :)

It's just you :). It's not the developer's intention that matters, it's the user's expectation. Usually there's a reason behind the intention, so marking the report as "not a bug" is simply a matter of sharing the explanation of the reasoning for the design decision. In other words, explaining why the user's expectation is wrong. Sometimes the explanation is convincing, sometimes not :). But if the developer is unable to provide any reasonable explanation at all, then it's a bug...regardless of the intention.

I suspect there is an explanation in this particular case, but it's bad form to simply close the report without providing the explanation. It tends to discourage people from reporting problems when their reports are dismissed without any rationale offered as to why.

Back
Top Bottom