2x12 Stereo Cab Rewire or Duel Mono?

MarreroGuitar

I recently purchased a used 2x12 cab from Sam Ash music.
Loaded with some decent sounding speakers, A JBL and an EV.
The Back of the speaker has two jacks, one for each speaker.

I do not own two amplifiers, therefore I can not run this stereo setup.
Only one speaker at a time becomes audible, when I plug a speaker cable from the
output of the amp into one of the speaker jacks.

I would like to run my guitar head straight into the speaker cabinet via mono, to sound both speakers at once.
Should I rewire the jacks so that both speakers run into the same jack? If so, any schematics out there?
Or should I use a cable that has a duel mono on one end, and a single 1/4 " on the other?

Could someone help me out?
Would greatly appreciate any advice I can get.

-Mikey

You could also get a stereo/mono jack plate and install it so you can run it ether way using a jack plate . Or use a pair of 1/4" jack connectors and the appropriate wiring digram and wire it your self it's really simple.

The other thing worth mentioning is if it's a guitar cab and you want to run it in stereo you should have a divider installed inside the cab to separate the speakers.

Last edited:
YMMV of course, but I'd not go for a stereo setup. The small distance between the cones would give you a realistic stereo effect only when you're really close to the cab. Not worth it IMO.On a side note, remember that, most probably, the cab will have a 16 ohm nominal impedance when the cones are wired in series, and a 4 ohm nominal impedance when they are connected in parallel: your power amp's working regime will vary consequently. Depending on the brand/model, you might have to set some switch on its back accordingly.:)

YMMV of course, but I'd not go for a stereo setup. The small distance between the cones would give you a realistic stereo effect only when you're really close to the cab. Not worth it IMO.On a side note, remember that, most probably, the cab will have a 16 ohm nominal impedance when the cones are wired in series, and a 4 ohm nominal impedance when they are connected in parallel: your power amp's working regime will vary consequently. Depending on the brand/model, you might have to set some switch on its back accordingly.:)

There is another side to that thinking... and it's not necessarily about the "stereo" sound.

Even though it's not really a "stereo" cabinet, it still enables you to use both outputs for a stereo amp. Which is important especially if you are using a low wattage amp at times, like a Mesa 20/20.

True, the cabinet becomes 16 ohms a side, but the 8 ohm outputs work fine with that.

For me, it was totally worth it to put that option in my 2*12 Recto cabinet. Plus, even though it's not true separation, there still really is a "wider" feel to the sound.

There is another side to that thinking... and it's not necessarily about the "stereo" sound.Even though it's not really a "stereo" cabinet, it still enables you to use both outputs for a stereo amp. Which is important especially if you are using a low wattage amp at times, like a Mesa 20/20. True, the cabinet becomes 16 ohms a side, but the 8 ohm outputs work fine with that.For me, it was totally worth it to put that option in my 2*12 Recto cabinet. Plus, even though it's not true separation, there still really is a "wider" feel to the sound.
True:) I had the impression the OP's amp is mono tho. I also agree on the sound potentially becoming wider (specially when the cones are different, thus performing slightly differently), even tho this can vary depending on a number of things. I just wanted to point out that chasing any true stereo effect with such tight sources' spread might reveal disappointing. Not that it can't produce interesting results tho :)

Back
Top Bottom