ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
After releasing Cab Pack 23: USA Citrus 2x12 I've had a few people ask me "what's the difference between the 2x12 versions of the USA and Citrus" and unsurprisingly it's a bit hard to describe by words. I thought I'd show it to you guys as there's no consistancy here at all.

To me the USA 2x12 and Citrus 4x12 (Cab Pack 19) sound more alike and Citrus 2x12 and USA 4x12 (Cab Pack 13) sound more alike.

Have a listen:

The clearest most direct in your face sounding cabinet of all these is the USA 2x12. The woodiest, fuzziest and maybe even fatter than the USA 4x12 (that's based on the Mesa Recto 4x12 after all) is the Citrus 2x12. I wouldn't probably go as far as saying a 2x12 cab kills a 4x12 cab but they're definitely on the same line in my book. My top 10 IR list now has three 2x12 IR's in it. (one from ML Class-A)

Just to be clear all the sound samples in this clip are going through the exact same HBE amp sim with the same neutral settings and on the left side you'll hear the SM57-MD421 Alloy Ace and on the right side you'll hear the E906-MD421 Alloy Ace. This helps bring out the character of the cabinets and not just the "best sound possible from each Cab Pack".

I hope this is helpful and I'd love to hear your experiences with 2x12 cabs vs 4x12 cabs. I know I'm surprised after creating this clip. :)

Awesome! What is the list of your top 10 IRs if i may ask?
It's constantly changing once I shoot more IR's. It's mostly Alloy Aces from Cab Pack 13, 19 and 20. Cab Pack 13: SM57-MD421 02 and SM57-R121 03. Those are probably my go-to IR's. Now it also has the USA 2x12 SM57-MD421 1. Brit PR75 and PR55, HW and TV IR's are there for all my Marshall needs. The newest addition is a mix of the upcoming ML Dizzy that's blending the V30 and K100 for a really full sound. I'll check the latest list when I get home. :)

Back in the day I had 2 marshal 412 cabs. When I switched to playing boogies (triaxis and DR) I switched to two 212 cabs. One was a recto vertical and one a recto horizontal. I loved those cabs and they made my 412 days a thing of the past. I love them both, The vertical and horizontal sounded different from each other and together were killer. Andy Timmons fav cab is the horizontal boogie 2x12 so now everyone needs to go try a Txstar amp sim through these. When I switched to VHT I pickrdup up a vertical 2x12 too. I might actually have to buy this cab pack

After buying over 2000 IRs I've learned to shut my eyes and open my ears. What a cab is the real world means noting in the Fractal domain. I don't have to worry about moving it, fitting it in my car or impressing people with it.

I sometimes things it would be a good think if Axe Edit (or the Axe FX) had a "Select a Random Cab" function. So many of them sound good it can be heard to pick one.

I'm really surprised at the focus of the Mesa 2x12. It's really hard to tell the difference without this kind of direct comparison. I wouldn't say I like it better necessarily, but it's more utility which is never a bad thing! Can't wait to start playing around with these.

It's constantly changing once I shoot more IR's. It's mostly Alloy Aces from Cab Pack 13, 19 and 20. Cab Pack 13: SM57-MD421 02 and SM57-R121 03. Those are probably my go-to IR's. Now it also has the USA 2x12 SM57-MD421 1. Brit PR75 and PR55, HW and TV IR's are there for all my Marshall needs. The newest addition is a mix of the upcoming ML Dizzy that's blending the V30 and K100 for a really full sound. I'll check the latest list when I get home. :)

Dude, what is the possibility of putting together a "best of" cab pack with your favourites?

Wow, just incredible. I could cut a whole album with just a single IR from this clip. In fact, I'm headed over to the Fractal Store right meow.
That's so nice of you to say. :) I know the store has so much variety these days that you need to take a deep breath before going through them. I can only hope these clips are enough to tell people what they want to sound like. :)

When Dizzy drops, message me. I am as excited to get those IRs than if I was having the actual cab delivered. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
Oh yes the Dizzy. It's actually interesting how much variety I got from the two Dizzy cabs. I have 1663 IR's altogether right now but I definitely need to cut that down a lot. :)

Back in the day I had 2 marshal 412 cabs. When I switched to playing boogies (triaxis and DR) I switched to two 212 cabs. One was a recto vertical and one a recto horizontal. I loved those cabs and they made my 412 days a thing of the past. I love them both, The vertical and horizontal sounded different from each other and together were killer. Andy Timmons fav cab is the horizontal boogie 2x12 so now everyone needs to go try a Txstar amp sim through these. When I switched to VHT I pickrdup up a vertical 2x12 too. I might actually have to buy this cab pack
Many people like the Mesa 2x12 for live use as it has so much more cut. And sure I admit that I "like the idea" of having a huge 4x12 rig inside this small black box but sometimes you just have to close your eyes and go with what sounds best. This is coming from someone who was a Mesa guy for 10 years after getting the Axe-Fx and now I'm using a Friedman 90% of the time. Timmons tones with the 2x12 huh? I have to try that out. I also heard Petrucci used the 2x12 back in his Recto days.

After buying over 2000 IRs I've learned to shut my eyes and open my ears. What a cab is the real world means noting in the Fractal domain. I don't have to worry about moving it, fitting it in my car or impressing people with it.

I sometimes things it would be a good think if Axe Edit (or the Axe FX) had a "Select a Random Cab" function. So many of them sound good it can be heard to pick one.
I know man. Imagine how it is for me. I'm currently working on 5 different unreleased Cab Packs. :oops: I definitely lose sight of what kind of tone I like every now and then but that's when you realize that there's so many sounds achievable these days that there's no simple answer.

Anyways this is the reason I have my top 10 list in the Axe-Fx and there are some IR's that have never left that list that I can always trust. On the other hand in the clip above my #1 IR is on the left side of the USA 4x12 clip and I think I prefer the USA 2x12 so what does that tell you? I don't know. ;)

I'm really surprised at the focus of the Mesa 2x12. It's really hard to tell the difference without this kind of direct comparison. I wouldn't say I like it better necessarily, but it's more utility which is never a bad thing! Can't wait to start playing around with these.
Try it in a mix Jared! When your ears get used to the 2x12 and you go back to a 4x12 you instantly hear a lot of buzz and noise in comparison which in a mix sounds full but also kind of smears things. With the 2x12 however everything is right up in your face. It's similar to the Citrus 4x12 like I said above but more scooped and focused. The Citrus 4x12 is not as tight since it has so much low mids right?

Dude, what is the possibility of putting together a "best of" cab pack with your favourites?
That's actually a really good idea. :) I'll have to think about it a little as I would want it to be something "more" than just a random collection of IR's.

Many people like the Mesa 2x12 for live use as it has so much more cut. And sure I admit that I "like the idea" of having a huge 4x12 rig inside this small black box but sometimes you just have to close your eyes and go with what sounds best. This is coming from someone who was a Mesa guy for 10 years after getting the Axe-Fx and now I'm using a Friedman 90% of the time. Timmons tones with the 2x12 huh? I have to try that out. I also heard Petrucci used the 2x12 back in his Recto days.
I know what you mean. I played boogie for 10 years too. When I got married and moved I sold everything but my guitars. When I started playing out again I pickup a VHT Sig X and loved it. It was super different than my MB stuff but killer. When I pickedup the Ultra I ended up playing Marshall amps. I am now a TripTik/ AC20 guy and have actually never used any of the MB stuff in the blk box.

JP also used 2x12 during the time period that he has a LS for cleans.

If you ever get a chance to shoot a VHT/Fryette cab pls so it. They are super special. Front loaded with a specially designed Eminence speaker that is just for them. From what Fryette told me the deliverance cab and the fat bottom cab although made of same material and speaker sound different. Not to many guy are up on these cabs but they are killer and I have been wanting one in the blk box forever. When ii first came out I contacted all the major IR manufacturers asking for it. All but one said they were not even interested and the one said it is on the "one day we will shoot this cab list" :-(

Sounds great - I prefer the citrus 2x12 - it is ... juicy. The USA 2x12 and 4x12 are next on my list. I liked the citrus 4x12 the least - go figure.

EDIT: Scratch that - I am not sure any more - when I started to jump around between the lot, I suddenly liked them all :) The two Citruses are very close to bees nest - 4x12 is closer. I think they will cut very well through a mix.

Last edited:
Clips sound good man.

My first good cab was the Mesa 2x12. I then bought a bunch of different 4x12s, Marshall, EVH, Blackstar S1, Line 6 V30, until I eventually got the 'holy grail' Mesa Rectifier 4x12. And I really struggled with it sitting right for recording, much as I liked it in the room. I decided one day to go back and try the 2x12, and everything just fell into place exactly where I wanted it. The 2x12 is brighter and tighter and seems to sound like I was trying to EQ the 4x12 to sound, so it made sense to me to just use the 2x12.

So these days I have sold all my 4x12s and just have two Mesa Rectifier 2x12s. I'm really happy with that setup. I've also got some spare Mesa V30s I bought s/h and will put them in another enclosure one day, I just haven't decided what yet - probably just a larger 2x12 enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom