2x12 Cabinet FOMO snake oil

If you can find one of the old GK 2X12 guitar cabs, they are exceptional.

It sounds big and everything I threw at it sounded good.

The design was an unusual ported design that I don't see people making anymore.

I should have never sold that cab.
Are there any IRs of it that you know of?
You have a 2x12 GK, but I think it's a bass cab, if I remember right.

Another vote for Port City. Before I went FRFR I used them. I still have them and even though I haven't used them in years, I plan on keeping them.

rsyevwhnfi5qeuv6284w.jpg

This is my favorite 2x12... if you can find one. Loaded with v30's and lightweight.

Mesa Recto vertical 2x12. Good tightness and thump. Better dispersion than the horizontal 2x12 and easier to move than a 4x12.
Never used or saw one, but it seems theoretically like one of the speakers is pointed at your ankles, and tipping it back seem sa little dicey.
No?

This year I bought an 80’s Marshall 2x12. It’s heavy. It had the stock G12-T75 speakers, which I found really mid scooped at the time. That’s also what the previous owner told me. Could’ve been wired the wrong way, because it really lacked the mids (phase cancelation?). I changed them to the same era G12-M70’s. Sounded much better.

Few months ago I found a pair of early 80’s G12-65’s dirt cheap for 60€ (!) in total. Those speakers are really something. I think it’s the ultimate Marshall 2x12 now.

Picture is not mine 🙂

943DCAA4-AADD-4C38-A202-890DAA85A07D.jpeg

Don't know if this means anything but I have recently gotten the best tone ever on my FM3 by switching to this stock cab and it makes me want to get the real thing for my real 2204:
167 — 2x12 Zilla Cream H 160 1 ML — ML Sound Lab
Based on a Zilla Cabs Custom Fatboy 2x12 with Celestion G12H-75 Creamback speakers, created in collaboration with Misha “Bulb” Mansoor (Periphery). Source: ML Bulb Zilla

Just happy to see you!

Any 212 cab can be horizontal or vertical lol

Haha! Touche'. I have done that many times. Can't stand an horizontal 2 x 12 on
the floor blasting my ankles. ;)

That said, there is a sonic difference when accounting for the difference in the angle of the
baffles. If not for the audience hearing a mic'd signal out front, then at least for the player,
and the rest of the band on stage.

Last edited:
I used to run a pair of the horizontal Recto 2x12s with my TriAxis rig and I usually had them on their side angled out slightly. Sounded great, but V30s in a sealed cab are very beamy so dispersion was not the best. When we jammed in a smaller space, I'd turn one backwards to bounce off the wall behind and that helped. Ghetto beam blockers (gaff tape on the grille) help tame the V30 on-axis lightsaber effect too.

This year I bought an 80’s Marshall 2x12. It’s heavy. It had the stock G12-T75 speakers, which I found really mid scooped at the time. That’s also what the previous owner told me. Could’ve been wired the wrong way, because it really lacked the mids (phase cancelation?). I changed them to the same era G12-M70’s. Sounded much better.

Few months ago I found a pair of early 80’s G12-65’s dirt cheap for 60€ (!) in total. Those speakers are really something. I think it’s the ultimate Marshall 2x12 now.

Picture is not mine 🙂

View attachment 93367

Those Marshall 1936 cabs are great, but yeah the T75 speakers are really scooped sounding. The Greenback/Creamback combo in them is supposed to sound really good, but I've not tried it myself.

I've got a Z-Best 2x12 in my studio and it's my personal favorite 2x12 cab. I find that it sounds almost as big as my Mesa 4x12's and I really dig the low end it puts out. I mainly play modern metal on extended range guitars and the Z-Best has that satisfying "thump" on palm mutes. It's worth noting that if you run it vertical the bass tightens up quite a bit compared to running it horizontal.

Back
Top Bottom