I have a 2X12 lopoline cab with celestion gt12 75 speakers. I have used it with my matrix gt1000fx with an XL+. I connect both outs from the amp (in stereo mode) in the two16ohm 75w inputs jacks. and then there is an 8ohm 150w mono jack.

Today I plugged just one out from the amp in one 16ohm socket and the sound was coming through both the speakers in the cab.

I am confused, is my cab stereo or mono? If stereo, Can it take both the outputs from the amp at the same time as a stereo signal?

Do you hear stereo effects when you run it as stereo? Try a ping pong delay...

My guess is that based on the labeling, it is stereo when using 2 16ohm jacks and mono when using the 8ohm jack.

Remove the jack plate and see how the jacks are wired. If it's stereo, each 16 ohm jack should be wired directly to one speaker. Since there's no mono/stereo switch on the plate, they probably use shorting/switching jacks to feed the 8 ohm jack in parallel when the two 16 ohm jacks are empty.

There are such things as switch jacks. When you plug a jack into the mono jack, it can disconnect the other jacks, etc...

Looks like that jack plate is stereo with the two top jacks, and mono In the center bottom jack.

The 2 upper jacks are the stereo 16ohm outputs and the lower one, is an 8 ohm mono jack, so it is both, according to the way it is labeled. No need to take it apart, just get a cheap multi meter and a speaker cable, put the positive lead on the tip, negative on the sleeve and set the meter to ohm's and see if it read close to 16ohm or 8 for the lower. Running stereo should sound much wider with reverb and delay etc...

Running a 2x12 in stereo with a stereo input signal is kind of useless for most purposes and prone to phase issues.

Running a 2x12 in stereo with a stereo input signal is kind of useless for most purposes and prone to phase issues.

Indeed, you never would see anyone set-up stereo speakers positioned side by side, nor would you stick both your studio desktop monitors right next to each other. Stereo cabs never made any sense to me....

What does make sense though is running two 1x12 cabs, or two CLR's, nicely spaced apart.

I always run run mono live, but when I'm playing just for myself at home, I love dialing up some really immerse stereo patches with my two CLR's. The sound just fills the room and has such a sense of depth and lushness. Its a beautiful thing

Indeed, you never would see anyone set-up stereo speakers positioned side by side, nor would you stick both your studio desktop monitors right next to each other. Stereo cabs never made any sense to me....

What does make sense though is running two 1x12 cabs, or two CLR's, nicely spaced apart.

I always run run mono live, but when I'm playing just for myself at home, I love dialing up some really immerse stereo patches with my two CLR's. The sound just fills the room and has such a sense of depth and lushness. Its a beautiful thing

There are a number of 2x12 stereo FRFR offerings...

There are a number of 2x12 stereo FRFR offerings...

Yes, true. As a matter of fact I have my two CLRs right next to each other. But that's at home, where I sit a few feet away from them.
On a stage it makes no sense, serving as a backline, IMHO.

Yes, true. As a matter of fact I have my two CLRs right next to each other. But that's at home, where I sit a few feet away from them.
Good point!

Unless like me, you have a stereo only tube power amp, and need a stereo cab to use both channels.

Unless like me, you have a stereo only tube power amp, and need a stereo cab to use both channels.

Do you need both channels, or does the amp require both channels to be connected? The Atomic Reactor 50/50 for example is a stereo tube amp that does not require both channels to be loaded.

I use a 212 cabinet in stereo. The time based effects sound way better than mono to me.
Each speaker is 16 ohms...SS 600 watt power amp (prefers) 4~8 ohm load, per side
Due to the high speaker impedance, I am getting about the same SPL in bridge MONO, as I am in STEREO.
The rig has plenty of gain with the band. Alexander is correct about phasing issues, but it is not apparent with my rig.
When I run L+R SUM from the AX8 into the amp/ 212 cabinet, the time based effects sound like crap.
I am hearing a great stereo image, after all, the 212 is for me anyway, I send L/R to FOH and stage wedges anyway.

Do you need both channels, or does the amp require both channels to be connected? The Atomic Reactor 50/50 for example is a stereo tube amp that does not require both channels to be loaded.

Mesa says I can use one channel if I leave the other channel volume at zero, but it's a Stereo 2:50 and my 412 is stereo, so why not use all 100w?

Back
Top Bottom