2U Axe-Fx III?

kquann

Are there any plans to make a 2U version of the Axe III? On paper it's got great features but the 2U form factor was so nice, perfect for a 4U gigging case (2U Axe + 2U power amp or 2U Axe + 1U power amp + 1U wireless, etc), or even a 2U case if you go direct. I love the possibilities afforded by the extra I/O but would settle for the smaller, even monochrome screen of the Axe II if able to do all the interfacing via a bluetooth app (our phones / computers have much better screens anyways). Just wondering if this would ever be considered.

Most probably.... no. A lot of people wanted a color screen and they delivered. Would be a lot of cost and work to put another unit out.

Keep in mind. The compactness you lose in height is more than made up for in depth. If the rest of your equipment supports shallow depth racks then the III can be more compact in arguably the better measurement. Shallow racks fit better on amps, speaker cans, etc.

Exactly

Keep in mind. The compactness you lose in height is more than made up for in depth. If the rest of your equipment supports shallow depth racks then the III can be more compact in arguably the better measurement. Shallow racks fit better on amps, speaker cabs, etc.

Yep, I actually downsized from an 8u to a 6u because I was able to stuff my wireless 2u behind the axe on the same "row" facing backwards

True, but if I want to keep it 4u total it still means I gotta lose my 2u power amp in lieu of a 1u, of which there are limited options if you're looking for decent headroom for a reasonable price. Such is life.

I seriously doubt anything is going to change. I'm sure a great deal of thought & reason has gone into the design and consequently the cost of getting the 'shell' manufactured has most likely already been invested.
There must be good reason to have changed the format.

Luckily for me, with the I/O options available in the III I'll be able to remove the 1U rack line mixer I currently have along with my eleven rack giving me 3u rack space.....er.....that is when I get my Axe III lol.

Just buy a bigger rack those empty slots will beg for more equipment purchases or you can put a rack drawer in those extra spots. :)

Or better yet a backup AXE III woot. I'm talking out my A** of course...

I’d honestly love a 6u Axe that is like 2” deep

Put the jacks all in the front below the knobs and LCD.

Slip it into a laptop style shoulder bag to transport, and maybe it could have a tilt back stand so it sits on your desk when your playing

I’d honestly love a 6u Axe that is like 2” deep

Put the jacks all in the front below the knobs and LCD.

Slip it into a laptop style shoulder bag to transport, and maybe it could have a tilt back stand so it sits on your desk when your playing
Gross. Glad you are not the FAS industrial design person. 3U is cool but I could not hack it any bigger.

Slippery slope. I'm trying to limit my rack stuff to multiple 4u cases that way it can scale up/down depending on the situation. Also, it allows for easy transport.

Gross. Glad you are not the FAS industrial design person. 3U is cool but I could not hack it any bigger.

Do you still enjoy the format of a CRT computer monitor on a desktop and a tower down by your feet? Nothing wrong with that if you do, but most folks these days seem to enjoy having just a flat LED display, which also houses all the pc hardware in it as well. Minimal space on the desktop, no tower at your feet. It’s just a clean and efficient modern design for how most folks use the modern computer.

I think audio hardware is similar. Nothing wrong with 19” rack format, and obviously it makes sense for some people’s needs, but more and more people aren’t using big racks these days. It’s kind of a dated format which was big in the later 80s and 90s....

As more and more people start using 100% in the box rigs, I think there is soemthing to be said for a stand alone format that easily fits into a sleek and uncluttered home use format and is easy to throw into a small bag for travel, pull out, plug in, play.

I’m sitting here at work looking my PC all-in-one and could envision a modern modeler that has like a 15” touchscreen/display, a row of knobs (for those that don’t like touch screens lol) and an assortment of I/o along the side panel.

Easy to carry, would allow for fantastic interface with a huge display, essentially putting Axe-Edit level interface right into the unit, and you could set it up and play anywhere, at home, in a hotel, at a gig, bring it into the studio etc

In the electronic music realm the laptop has effectively become the instrument. Guys don’t haul around tons of synths and samplers, they show up at a studio with a laptop. Makes travel worlds easier at the very least.

I don’t mind my rack sitting in my den/music room but my wife does lol. If my studio was condensed into just a sleek desktop box she’d love it! I’d have the same tonal ability but certainly would look less cluttered.

I think this is what the future products will evolve into, with the likes of HeadRush, Helix etc already kind of adopting that type of interface, though in a floor format.

As I said initially, it might seem as odd waking into a friends home “studio” and seeing a wall of 19” rack gear, amps stacked high, huge mixing desk etc, as it would to see a bunch of CRT monitors and dial up modems

Again, not knocking racks, outboard gear etc, but I think it’s going to become more and more integrated and in the box for a majority of users

Just like we don’t carry a calculator, a music player, a gps unit, a pocket camera, a phone etc. we carry one smartphone that does all that in a slick package.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a future FAS unit that has a host of i/o, models of lots of outboard gear, vast routing, etc. basically an entire recording studio in a magic little box.

Then again, maybe they will still be doing 19” rack units in the year 2030.....

I hav
If we are applying today’s electronic logic to music equipment then I think it would be a small IO box with no screen and wireless to a tablet for all the controls.

Many mixers these days are basically that
I haven’t mastered using the iPad with my feet yet - I might hurt it if that even worked! :cool:

The Axe-FX III has the best form factor of all previous versions, a small depth and a large, ingenious display.

3U are a reasonable height, especially since modern devices (e.g. Helix, Kemper) are also equipped with these sizes and this is certainly not without reason.

Dickes praises the designers of the Axe-FX III, I find it 100 percent successful.

Back
Top Bottom