2min Oldschool type of Song made totally in 30min / Mesa / Ownhammer

apescaleconflict

Experienced
Hey!

Today i was so bored that i just decided that don't give how crappy shit i record, but i have to write and record the song in 30min. So here's the deal. :D

It is recorded with recto2 red mdrn and ownhammer impulses :) Hope you have your laughs as i did! :D

Questions and feedback, and offcourse CHALLENGE yourself also to do this 30min challenge! :D

ps. the bass is also YEK:s fake bass preset that i just played with normal guitar and tweaked it.

edit: btw whole song is played with 8-string gtr :)

Last edited:
Very cool thrash tune; like the tone, and liked the riffing even more. Did you compose and tweak the drum parts within the 30 mins, or did you put together existing MIDI phrases?

This IMHO is one of the best ways to learn the unit and recording. Hands on and getting dirty.
I try to do this a few times a week.
Thanks for sharing the idea and encouraging others to dive in.
Keep up the great work.

wow, thats actually pretty impressive. definitely has that old school metal feel. I like it. I wish i could put something together like that in 30 minutes. I am definitely interested in hearing the details of your process.

Very cool thrash tune; like the tone, and liked the riffing even more. Did you compose and tweak the drum parts within the 30 mins, or did you put together existing MIDI phrases?

Thanks dude! It's nice to hear so much nice feedback! I started by jamming along Megadeth's Elysian Fields, then it just hit me after i finished the song i just opened up Reaper, hit the metronome at 185bpm, and started to record guitars with only metronome backing me up, then i just made a 2min miditrack and basically threw the midi notes in! For drums i had my template of mix somewhat reay, i just had to check the volumes and some minor EQ:s but basically misleading this thread there so i didn't come up with everything from the scratch :D But recording, composing, midi programming and finding the axe tone quickly in the beginning. :)

This IMHO is one of the best ways to learn the unit and recording. Hands on and getting dirty.
I try to do this a few times a week.
Thanks for sharing the idea and encouraging others to dive in.
Keep up the great work.

Yeah, it's really easy to get stuck on "finding the sweet sweet spot" from the axe fx. I had really big doubts of the tone at the beginning but just decided to ignore it, afterall it served the purpose nicely, still digging the preset on these oldschool stuff :)

wow, thats actually pretty impressive. definitely has that old school metal feel. I like it. I wish i could put something together like that in 30 minutes. I am definitely interested in hearing the details of your process.

No problem at all, can you specify what'd you wanna know?

No problem at all, can you specify what'd you wanna know?

Well I think you've answered some of it in your reply post #14. What are you using to track the drums with? I'm fairly new to recording myself, I've not had a lot of time to work on it due to some other band projects and gigging, but some of that has just freed up so I'm ready to invest more time into it. The fact that you did this in 30 minutes is encouraging to me.

Well I think you've answered some of it in your reply post #14. What are you using to track the drums with? I'm fairly new to recording myself, I've not had a lot of time to work on it due to some other band projects and gigging, but some of that has just freed up so I'm ready to invest more time into it. The fact that you did this in 30 minutes is encouraging to me.

Glad that you find it encouraging. The fact that i've been doing this "recording template" type of thing long time now, is the neverending process of getting better at everything as the time passes by. I have also played and still play in 2 bands atm and i mix projects also. So roughly you can say that these little recordings and mixing sessions of my own songs and demo stuff for my bands are somewhat templates for future use as i said, it makes this fast writing so possible, as i know already in advance what i need to do and i have the samples and all figured out. This all might seem like a mess, but really isn't so much of an effort anymore. :) Im doing all inside REAPER, with superior drummer and steven slate samples (how surprising) then it's just a blending, routing mixing and parallel compressing etc. etc. normal mixing stuff.

I gotta say, for the new album of Less Than Three it was nice to mix the raw signals of the drumkit to meet my standards of a good sound, then blending actually these samples that you hear on this song also roughly 40-50% with the natural kit. Im really happy with the results so far!

Back
Top Bottom