250 and 500 freqs

torkolort

Inspired
I'm having some trouble with these. I've been trying to nail a certain rhythm tone, and I've gotten pretty close, but I have a general rhythm tone issue, which is mainly when playing on lower frets on the A and D string. Not sure how to describe it, so with the lack of words I'll go with "muffled", "farty", and most of all "burpy".

First I tried experimenting with the mid control in the amp block, but it didn't help. Neither did the bass or treble control. Then I did all sorts of crazy things around 750 hz in a PEQ but it didn't help. I suspected it had something to do with the pickups so I figured I'd try shape the tone from the beginning. I tried a GEQ as the first block in the chain, and I had the 250 and 500 at -3 db. Surprisingly it actually did get rid of most of that annyoing stuff, but at the same time the general sound picture was drastically changed and sounded more tame and non-fiting in a mix. I tried to boost the same freqs later in the chain, after the amp or cab, but then the annyoing stuff returned. As I don't know myself, can someone explain what exactly I'm doing, or even better, what I should be doing? I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post clips if it's needed.

Thanks!

I don't have the patch here, but I'll try to remember...

Filter
The envelope filter trick

Drive
TS808
Drive 0
Level 10
Tone 5

Amp IIC+
Drive 7.00
Bass 3.00
Mid 5-ish
Treb 6.80
Pres 2.50
Master 3.00

In advanced I have depth at 1.50, and the rest is pretty much the default.

PEQ1
V-curve

Cab
Cali + sm57

PEQ2
Blocking at 7k

Last edited:
so you are after a petrucci sound? :D
i made similar experiences, and could solve it by switching to ownhammer IRs, instead of stock ones.

Yeah, quite a shocker right? :D

I have tried a lot of different Redwirez IRs, but I have yet to find one for rhythm I prefer over the Cali..haven't tried ownhammer though.

redwirez didnt do the trick for me either, but the ownhammer mesa v30 #1 sm57 position 3 is my IR for every rhythm patch now. You cant really go wrong for 3$ imho.

Don't wanna tell but..............................headphones.

You are not the only one! I actually spend a lot of time dialing in with headphones to get it in the neighborhood. Mine are Grado SR80's that I have had for upwards of 15 years and I know the sound of them like the back of my hand.

When I get anything sounding pretty good in the cans, I then switch over to my other systems... a set of Mackie FRFR monitors and another 2x10 stereo cabinet I have and then I do the final analysis using the sound system of the church I play 3 days a week at. It's a screaming system (EAW LA212 Floor monitor fed with several hundred watts) that gives me a very good point of reference.

So, for me, I start with headphones and then tweak with several other systems such that any particular patch sounds as good as is possible on as many systems as possible, bearing in mind that a little tweaking of the global EQ's might be in order depending on the venue!

Another thought is to add a GEQ or PEQ after the amp to put the frequencies you pulled out 'back' in the mix. I'd just use the low-cut in the amp block instead of a GEQ in front of the amp too.

Just trying to offer suggestions.

+1 to what Scott said. You can either do the low cut in the amp block or drive block. I prefer it in the drive block. I find I need to do more low cutting the more gain I have. Therefore, if I'm using a low-gain amp, I don't need as much low cut. However, when I engage the drive block, things start to get farty.

For instance, on my Vox AC30 patch if I'm playing with in neck+bridge position, I will low cut the amp at about 100Hz (this is my default low cut for almost all amps) and low cut the drive block at about 300Hz. Then put in a PEQ after the cab like Scott said. I will sweep thru the 250Hz to 500Hz range, and boost things just a bit above the trouble spot. And as a general rule, I boost with a wide Q and cut with a narrow Q.

Hope this helps!

-AL

+1 to what Scott said. You can either do the low cut in the amp block or drive block. I prefer it in the drive block. I find I need to do more low cutting the more gain I have. Therefore, if I'm using a low-gain amp, I don't need as much low cut. However, when I engage the drive block, things start to get farty.

For instance, on my Vox AC30 patch if I'm playing with in neck+bridge position, I will low cut the amp at about 100Hz (this is my default low cut for almost all amps) and low cut the drive block at about 300Hz. Then put in a PEQ after the cab like Scott said. I will sweep thru the 250Hz to 500Hz range, and boost things just a bit above the trouble spot. And as a general rule, I boost with a wide Q and cut with a narrow Q.

Hope this helps!

-AL

Very intelligent response - I'd listen to this advice. I don't use drive boosts much (and differently than some others do) but if you use a drive as a pre-amp boost, this is great advice. Well said.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I haven't really experimented a lot with the Drive block before, so I'll definitely give that a shot as well.

Love this forum :)

Back
Top Bottom