2290 w/ Mod Delay not working

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
Tried to use this delay on a couple of different patches, and I just can't hear any delays if this model is selected. As soon as I pick a different delay type, without increasing the level, feedback or mix, the delays become audible again. I'm on the latest Firmware 19.

Thanks for the info, Hubertus! Had to change the phase reverse setting from "right" to "none". I don't remember having to do that in earlier firmwares. Was this a recent change? I remember the stock 2290 preset on Bank C working properly, now I have to readjust all the phase reverse settings.

IIRC there was no recent change. The phase reverse is typical for the 2290.

Did you change the OUT from copy L->R to L+R sum?

It could be something else causing the collapse to mono.

It could be affected by global output settings and by other blocks in the grid (after the delay block).

Also, if you are monitoring in mono.

I also recently discovered this problem. I have a lead preset with the 2290 delay, however it always worked in the past. Suddenly I noticed that the delay was not working, and I have read it is due to phase cancellation. I have a few questions related to this:
1. Why did I never had any trouble with the delay before. Has there been a change in the latest firmwire update?
2. I transferred the same preset to my new AX8 and there the delay is working.. Why?
3. What is the best solution to make the delay work on the Axe II?

Phase reversal on one channel is part of the 2290's sound. It's like that on the real unit and has always been this way in the Fractal model as well. At some point you likely changed your global output settings causing the collapse to mono output. Transferring the preset to the AX8 would not carry over those global settings so it could sound normal there. Make sure your global output settings are not set Sum L+R. That aspect of the 2290's sound requires full stereo output and stereo monitoring. Collapsing to mono at any point will cancel out the wet delay signal. You have to either use only one channel's output or turn off the phase reversal of the other channel in the delay block in order to use it in a mono setup.

Phase reversal on one channel is part of the 2290's sound. It's like that on the real unit and has always been this way in the Fractal model as well. At some point you likely changed your global output settings causing the collapse to mono output. Transferring the preset to the AX8 would not carry over those global settings so it could sound normal there. Make sure your global output settings are not set Sum L+R. That aspect of the 2290's sound requires full stereo output and stereo monitoring. Collapsing to mono at any point will cancel out the wet delay signal. You have to either use only one channel's output or turn off the phase reversal of the other channel in the delay block in order to use it in a mono setup.

Thanks. That solved it! Could you be kind also to tell me the pros/cons or differences between using output sum l+r vs stereo?

Thanks. That solved it! Could you be kind also to tell me the pros/cons or differences between using output sum l+r vs stereo?
The main issue is artifacts of phasing issues when using sum. This one is another, but in this case you aren't hearing the artifact because it results in a complete canceling effect.

In basic terms, things might sound "phasey"... Or they may sound fine. It is dependant on the preset and what effects are being used, as well as the settings of those effects.

With a stereo setup, the left and right channels go to different speakers. Phase reversal between channels is not as big of a problem when they are mixed in the air. It makes one speaker push while the other pulls. There is some amount of phase cancellation in the sound waves in the air, but it's not perfect so you can still hear both speakers. For the 2290 delay, that gives the wet repeats a unique hollow character that makes them sit differently than the dry signal that's not phase reversed. On the other hand, if you try to combine those signals electronically instead of in the air, the phase reversal gives you pretty much perfect signal cancellation and you lose the wet signal completely.

Is it your impression that most people run output 1 at stereo in a live setting? I play in a band with two guitarists, I guess if I run stereo and am panned L or R I would just end up mono anyway?

Is it your impression that most people run output 1 at stereo in a live setting? I play in a band with two guitarists, I guess if I run stereo and am panned L or R I would just end up mono anyway?
I think the vast majority probably run mono.

But are not a lot of the effects stereo?
Many are. But people coming from a traditional rig typically don't have a way to run stereo anyway.

There's a fair amount of discussion on the forum about stereo or not for live use.

Many are. But people coming from a traditional rig typically don't have a way to run stereo anyway.

There's a fair amount of discussion on the forum about stereo or not for live use.

Thanks. Could you send me a link to some of the discussions? Getting to many results when I search for it

Back
Top Bottom