2290 vs Digital Delay models

JRFarmer

Inspired
Can anybody explain the difference between these delay models? The 2290 is a digital delay, so I'm often confused about what could be different between these models? If I X/Y these models in the AX8, I don't hear a lot of difference.

I'll also accept a general description of how the 2290 sounded different from other digital delays of the 80s. I owned Roland SDE and Korg SDD delay units in the past, so I know what they sound like, but I don't know how the 2290 sounded different.

The 2290 has modulation and the left and right are inverse phase. There are various delay "types", some of which are designed to emulate specific delays and some such are just "generic" types.

Are you listening in stereo when comparing?

Are you listening in stereo when comparing?

Nope, mono. I guess that's what I'm missing. Most of the 2290 users that I'm trying to emulate (e.g. Edge and Gilmour) were only using it mono into a single guitar amplifier, so mono is good enough for me.

Nope, mono. I guess that's what I'm missing. Most of the 2290 users that I'm trying to emulate (e.g. Edge and Gilmour) were only using it mono into a single guitar amplifier, so mono is good enough for me.

Gilmour's rig with the 2290's was a wet-dry-wet rig and not a mono rig.
Don't know if you are familiar with w-d-w, but if not, it means that there is a center "dry" amp channel without time-based effects and also without modulation effects (exept those you might put before the amp , and then a stereo or two separate "wet" amps with left and right channels that are 100% effects. Sounds huge when set up right and very, very different from a mono system.

I'm not 100% familiar with all the Edges rigs, and whether he used mono, wet-dry or w-d-w, but even when he used the 2290 a lot he was still favoring the Korg SDD-3000 for his delays.

Gilmour's rig with the 2290's was a wet-dry-wet rig and not a mono rig.

I know what w-d-w is, but I didn't know Gilmour did this. Do you have reference for this GIlmour info? I'd like to read up.

even when he used the 2290 a lot he was still favoring the Korg SDD-3000 for his delays.

I don't think this is true. Edge preferred the preamp tone of the SDD, not necessarily the delay. In live concerts, he often used the SDD 100% dry just for the preamp tone, and got his delays from the 2290. I assume he does the same today, except the 2290s are replaced by the Axe-Fx.

I know what w-d-w is, but I didn't know Gilmour did this. Do you have reference for this GIlmour info? I'd like to read up.

I don't think this is true. Edge preferred the preamp tone of the SDD, not necessarily the delay. In live concerts, he often used the SDD 100% dry just for the preamp tone, and got his delays from the 2290. I assume he does the same today, except the 2290s are replaced by the Axe-Fx.

I have an old magazine somewhere in one of my book and magazine boxes with a schematic of Gilmours rig (if I remember correctly) around the time of Delicate Sound of Thunder where he had a very elaborate and huge rack system with w-d-w.
I'll see if I can dig it up during the holidays (would like to study it myself again) and PM it to you.

Regarding the Edge's rig, I specifically said that I was not an expert on his rig, and I know that part of his attraction to the SDD-3000 is the preamp, but as far as I know he also utilized the delay of the SDD-3000 and did have the SDD-3000 as his main delay, moreso than the 2290 and I've heard Dallas say that the SDD-3000 is used on all the U2 anthems - but I could easily be wrong on that, I love U2 and the Edge, but I'm not an Edge gear-nut.

the SDD-3000 is used on all the U2 anthems - but I could easily be wrong on that
You're right on that, and I don't disagree. The only difference is interpretation. I think they're talking about the preamp there, so the SDD is definitely in the loop for the big anthem songs, but the delay section may or may not be engaged. Edge used the 2290 a LOT, enough that I think he prefers that delay to the SDD-3000, but he still loves the SDD preamp.

Back
Top Bottom