22 Fret Super Strats

db2112

I’m really liking a Charvel So Cal USA model I played last week, but not wowed by the matte finishes. Not seeing a lot of alternative companies making something like this. Any other 22 fret strat types with a Floyd < $2.5k that I might want to look at before deciding? Thanks for any ideas.

Suhr custom classic or custom standard. I have a real hard time putting mine down. If you can find one with the roasted maple neck, it’s heaven on earth my friend

Both suggestions above are great... well, really, beyond great. I was looking at ordering a Suhr built to my specs at one point, but I saw a guy selling an Anderson that ticked nearly all my boxes here on this forum. It saved me about $1500 by buying used, and I absolutely love that guitar. (See my profile pic to the left) The only down side is that about 3 months ago, I felt compelled to buy another one, this time a hollow T style with HSH config, different pickups and their Switcheroo switching system. The second one has a vintage style trem instead of a Floyd, but it works great. It's hard to say which one is my favorite. Basically whichever one I have in my hands at the time I guess. LOL

One thing that I found that is different, and is part of the reason I fall into the Anderson side of things, is that it seems the Suhrs are more commonly found with 1 5/8 nut width, while Andersons seem to more commonly have the slightly wider 1 11/16 nut. Since I got into classical guitar on the side a few years ago, I like the slightly wider nut. You can get either one with the nut width you want, but when searching the used ones it did seem like they were commonly split that way. Partly because most of the more production line variants for the Suhr seem to favor the narrower one.

I have a Jem 7DBK in excellent condition you could have for $1,150 shipped to OR. It's a fantastic guitar. I own several Jems, so this one does not get played enough...

I have a custom shop ESP The MirageII from the early ninenties, it's 22 frets with a floyd. Maybe they produce those again.

While not sporting an FR, the new Ibanez AZ models look really wonderful. If I didn't have all my budget set aside for a new Fractal, I'd be hard-pressed to keep myself away from one of those.

I’m really liking a Charvel So Cal USA model I played last week, but not wowed by the matte finishes. Not seeing a lot of alternative companies making something like this. Any other 22 fret strat types with a Floyd < $2.5k that I might want to look at before deciding? Thanks for any ideas.
Check out Kiesel. Their classic bolt is 22 fret, and you can configure it as a super strat if you want. Any combo of woods, any finish, you decide. They start at $949, and go up depending on what you want. $2500 would get you sick insane custom build. Made in USA.

edit (added link):
https://www.kieselguitars.com/customshop/

Lots of love for the Anderson guitars. Agreed on the new Ibanez AZ too - those look nice - very Suhr-ish looking to me.

I just scored one of these from Reverb last week. It’s the red matte or satin finish HSS Dimarzios w Floyd and rosewood neck. I LOVE playing this guitar!! I’ve been a Duncan HB guy so I’m having to tweak some of the presets to the Super Distortions. I own a Les Paul, Strat, Ibanez RG and a MIJ Charvel that’s also pretty cool but the USA Select feels and plays like a dream. Clean to mean and beautiful.

I have two Charvels, one HH and one HSS. Both maple boards. I am in love with Charvels lol

My main guitar is a vintage strat, but Charvel just has a thing. If you don't already have at least one, buy the Charvel.

I am purposely not looking at that guitar again. I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head, but I was sure tempted!
I've looked at it every day since he posted it. Thankfully my gear account is empty.

Back
Top Bottom