21st Century Pickups for the Modern Guitar Player

Sidewinder styles have been around for decades.
Those Neodymium magnets look awfully big. Love to see what the string drag is like from those.

Pretty cool designs though!

A company with the word "research" in their name. I have seen guys use it to justify tax evasion over here in oz.

hi def? bla. Just trying to grab the gen y market share. Their explanation of hi def is just that the pickups are full frequency spectrum. For acoustic sounds this may be a cool piezo alternative but for normal electric guitar tone, you are going to have to EQ these pickups to sound like conventional pickups, IMO

Hello all, my name is Bill. Some of you may have seen me on Cycfi's page in the NAMM updates. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about our Neo Aura pickups, thanks! Edit - general inquiries can be sent to info@cycfi.com

Last edited:
Very interesting! The singles sounds great!

I have a radical set of of neodymium pups currently in production at Aescher Europa.

What originally started as a resonator install, ended up with a complete pickup changeout.

The Tonezone bridge and Dimetime neck are out and replaced with low profile neodymium pups. My guitar will end up having 3 X divided pickups, D1i sensor/resonator, and 2 X pickups in series. That's a total of 5 pups plus the resonator!

From Aescher:

"The X pickups (neos) do not generate any frequencies of it's own,
it only senses and transduces the fundamental frequency and harmonics of each string,
it's just that it does this more accurately than other pickups.

So you will hear the true sound of your strings, like cleaning a filthy mirror
and seeing one's self clearly for the first time. Then you can properly groom the sound.
The X Series sensors sound like no pickup you have ever known, they are the most precisely made coils in the industry.
No other manufacturer makes coils this way, or with such advanced materials.

The strings are the source of 'the sound' so you have direct control over the sound
by selecting the type, age, gauge, tension and winding of the strings.

Light gauge strings have a thinner tone than heavy gauge.
Heavy gauge increases string tension, which increases loudness.
Round wound strings have a more edgy gritty sound than flatwound strings, which have a smooth round warm tone.
New strings sound brighter than old strings, a plain steel strings have much less mass than wound strings
therefore they require more gain. These individual characteristics can only be fully exploited (or corrected)
with a divided pickup. o be honest..

(re: humbuckers) this is a very old-school 1950's way of doing things.

Complicated wiring schemes are completely redundant these days, and are really just a marketing device
for manufacturers who cater to vintage rock-n-roll traditionalists.

The X series coils are completely noise-free out of the box.
there is no hum - no RFI - no noise of any kind.

Double coil Humbucking pickups were a crude solution to the problem of Hum
which was common in vintage valve amps with huge leeky transformers.

Those leeky transformers are history now, and 50 / 60 Hz hum is practically unknown in modern amps.

wiring coils 180° out of phase results in a Huge loss of signal and voltage
which is why humbuckers have such a weak output.

It really makes no sense to install double coil humbuckers in the 21st century,
and I see no reason to manufacture them. Those who do.. are just doing so because there's a market for them. :)

The Roland GK3 cannot be used for normal audio signal output,
the impedence of the GK3 is only 300 Ohm, and the coils are very low inductance, only a few windings around very weak tiny steel plate magnets, so this weak signal is preamped before reaching the VG-99.

The XL6 divided pickup, on the other hand, is a very powerful passive divided pickup, with extremely inductive 3200 Ohm coils and N52 neodymium magnets, the highest existing flux density of any permanent magnet.

So the output voltage and tone are much better than any stock passive guitar pickup.
Compatibility with the Roland VSystem is just an added extra bonus."

One thing cool is that these pups are all "passive"!

Last edited:
Hi Bill, whats the difference between the actives and passives?

Great question, the actives have our preamp on-board the pickups themselves. The passives are designed to be paired with our active switches (5-way blade) that has a centralized preamp (there's also a dedicated outboard preamp board coming soon as an option). The application you're thinking of would dictate what option makes the most sense for you.

Bill, is there a wiring diagram available for wiring these pickups into the Seymour Duncan pickup ring switch system (aka Triple Shot)?

Also is tgere a schematic to supply power via trs guitar cable, so you don't have to modify your existing instrument for a battery compartment?

I suspect here are good intentions be these manufacturers, but the seem to come with their own flavour of BS, for example:

QUOTE: "wiring coils 180° out of phase results in a Huge loss of signal and voltage, which is why humbuckers have such a weak output"

This is a statement by someone who knows nearly nothing about guitar pickups (humbucking pickups have their signals in phase and increase output, the magnet and coil orientations cause EMI to be cancelled)

Also, if these pickups are passive coils, they will be inductive, and have a resonance with cable capacitance (among other things), just like regular passive coil pickups, so they may not be as neutral as advertised.

But all of this aside, I do applaud manufacturers developing new guitar tones. I just hope the successful ones thrive on reality rather than hype and misinformation.

Hello all, my name is Bill. Some of you may have seen me on Cycfi's page in the NAMM updates. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about our Neo Aura pickups, thanks! sales.usa@cycfi.com

Hi bill how are you doin ?, I checked your web site and all of the samples , but at the end there was some doubts in my mind, so questions :

1- what's the role of horizontal magnet exactly ?, why you put them on this position ?

2- Do you think we should listen to all the tension that coming from the strings, when we're playing, such as little buzz and somethin like that ?, how it could help us to get our signature tone ?, like you said in your website

Personally liked your acoustic guitar samples that to distortion stuff, distortion stuff wasn't really musical in my ears, they sound were mechanically
I'm not like a hater guy or somethin like that, I just want to make convinced myself on this matter, this could be really the next generation of pickups or not ?

Best Regards,

I suspect here are good intentions be these manufacturers, but the seem to come with their own flavour of BS, for example:

QUOTE: "wiring coils 180° out of phase results in a Huge loss of signal and voltage, which is why humbuckers have such a weak output"

This is a statement by someone who knows nearly nothing about guitar pickups (humbucking pickups have their signals in phase and increase output, the magnet and coil orientations cause EMI to be cancelled)

Also, if these pickups are passive coils, they will be inductive, and have a resonance with cable capacitance (among other things), just like regular passive coil pickups, so they may not be as neutral as advertised..............

Classic Humbucking pickups are wired out of phase, so that identical (noise) signals are cancelled. The 2 coils are slightly out of phase no matter how they are wired they do not occupy the same location, so it's physically impossible for them to be in Phase. Any one who doubts this can look at the original Seth Lover Humbucking Patent.

The strategy is completely redundant with X coils, which cannot act as antennae, as common pickups do.

They have no RFI interference. The phase along the string shifts from mm to mm, so any shift in location, the greater the phase shift, regardless of the wiring - series or parallel, it makes no difference.

You can see the shift visually on an oscilloscope.

Last edited:
Bill, is there a wiring diagram available for wiring these pickups into the Seymour Duncan pickup ring switch system (aka Triple Shot)?

Also is tgere a schematic to supply power via trs guitar cable, so you don't have to modify your existing instrument for a battery compartment?

Additional support documentation is in the works. I'm looking into the specifics of your questions and will get back with an answer soon, thanks.

Hi bill how are you doin ?, I checked your web site and all of the samples , but at the end there was some doubts in my mind, so questions :

1- what's the role of horizontal magnet exactly ?, why you put them on this position ?

2- Do you think we should listen to all the tension that coming from the strings, when we're playing, such as little buzz and somethin like that ?, how it could help us to get our signature tone ?, like you said in your website

Personally liked your acoustic guitar samples that to distortion stuff, distortion stuff wasn't really musical in my ears, they sound were mechanically
I'm not like a hater guy or somethin like that, I just want to make convinced myself on this matter, this could be really the next generation of pickups or not ?

Best Regards,

Thanks for the questions, I'll address them in order.

1) the magnets are oriented in the coils with the same relationship as a traditional pickup with the difference being both have been rotated 90˚ The rows of magnets then serve to magnetize the vertically oriented central pole pieces of the pickup.

2) our design is meant to be a perfect "blank canvas" giving the player the power to control their own frequency response characteristics. With shaping options like our Resonant Filter any characteristic can be dialed in. Here's a quote from our website - "When pushing the Aura pickup through high levels of gain it is best to use a pre-filter, with a cutoff around 2kHz to 5kHz and a gentle resonance peak, before the gain stage. This filter setting dials-in more of a “humbucker” sound." So instead of the response characteristics of the pickup being a fixed parameter, you can capture everything and shape it as a user defined parameter.

Hope this helps, thanks!

2) So instead of the response characteristics of the pickup being a fixed parameter, you can capture everything and shape it as a user defined parameter.

Bill, can you expand on this a little more? It sounds like the user has the ability to program the pickups, are there presets in the pickup that can be dialed up on the fly?

SUP? :D
Bill, can you expand on this a little more? It sounds like the user has the ability to program the pickups, are there presets in the pickup that can be dialed up on the fly?

From what I get from it all, it's more like an EQ thing not a programmable thing as it's just preamp/ filter pots, but no brain/cpu. You take the full spectrum and tweak the EQ filters to get the tailored response your looking for. Not too far off from the IR ex. take a full spectrum signal ( sine wave) and impart a particular feq, response there is your speaker.

I do see where your going though,,,,that would be a cool feature,,,dial up a Duncan Pearly Gates response,,,then dial up a Bareknucle Warpig,,then a 60's strat tone,,,,, would be sweet for sure.

MOSHON
DAVE

Hello, I'm a newcomer in this group. I'm the designer of the Cycfi Neo Aura pickup. I'll help Bill answer some questions.

@Womac911, the magnets are very small: 4.7mm x 4.7mm and there's only 6 of them aligned 90 perpendicular to the strings. The second coil does not have magnets. We made sure through extensive testing that we don't have what's called "Stratitis" or excess string pull.

@reclavea, there's no such thing as "completely noise-free". We've tested a lot of pickups and there is noise in various degrees. Push the gain up to very high levels, move in front of a stage light or any transformer, or even your desktop computer, and you'll get noise even from humbuckers. Here are some spectrum graphs: Singles or Doubles? | Cycfi Research in an early tests with our polyphonic pickups. Even the very quiet active EMGs still have noise in them. Low-impedance pickups are less susceptible to noise (an order of a magnitude lower noise than high impedance "passive" pickups). But dual coils make them even better. It's not just a marketing gimmick (I am not a vintage rock-n-roll traditionalist). We've done extensive tests that show that double coils still matter even in active pickups. As for phase differences, you are right. Traditional humbuckers, having a wide aperture, have phase differences in both coils. But no, humbuckers do not have such a weak output. Passive humbuckers have higher output than single coils. They do have a mellower sound due to the phase shift you mention (some high frequencies cancel out). The mellower tone is also a result of the higher inductance (more windings). Humbuckers have a resonance peak at about 2kHz while single coils have it in the 4-5kHz range.

@Sixstring, it is meant for external processing. We do however have an on board resonant filter which you can use to dial-in a frequency response (Freq and Q). Technically speaking, a pickup as an audio voltage source plus second-order lowpass filter (BuildYourGuitar.com :: The Secrets of Electric Guitar Pickups).

@Hyper Planet, I'd say it's a perfect match for the Axe-Fx.

@dr bonkers, we will provide wiring diagrams very soon. The supply power via trs guitar cable is an interesting idea. That is a very viable solution!

--Joel
Cycfi Research | Infinity in a Day

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom