AFT/Chris update

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
hey guys :)

some of you may know me as the guy who created AxeFxTutorials.com. when i got the Axe-Fx Ultra back in 2007, it clicked with me and i understood how to use it pretty well. i joined the forum and many people had questions on how to do things. i made a video showing how to use 2 guitars at the same time for guitars with electric and piezo signals, and that's what started my journey on making tutorial videos for the Axe. i would get countless DMs and emails over the years and expanded my help into AxeFxTutorials at some point.

i started creating "premium content" which i sold directly, in addition to the free videos i offered on YouTube. to this day i still owe many people a 3rd AX8 video. i know some really resent that this hasn't been done yet, and i too hate that it hasn't been done. to make up for that, at the time i included a different video for free (footswitch strategies), but that doesn't fulfill the promise of course. in 2018, i attempted to record content for the video, and even posted a video teaser. but i was stopped again with its production by what i'll explain below. my website has also severely strayed and has been out of date constantly over the past few years.

in 2014 i believe, i lifted a 12u rolling rack case to load into my car. it had an in-ear setup, my axe, and other rack gear which made it pretty heavy. probably 100 pounds. that day, i lifted it and twisted weird and something slipped in my back. i was in severe pain at that moment, but had to get to rehearsal. i quickly grabbed a screwdriver, un-racked most of the gear, put it in separate smaller rack cases, and proceeded with rehearsal.

over time, that injury got worse and worse. over the last 3 or 4 years, i've had days where i couldn't stand. any movement caused 10 out of 10 pain, almost making me pass out. i started going to chiropractic to address the issue, but it was still not "fixed." we couldn't really source the main issue, even with x-rays, so it somewhat remained a mystery. some days were totally fine, while others i was completely bed-ridden.

over the last few months, perhaps some progress was made. i had another 10/10 pain situation, but this one lasted 5 days. i couldn't stand or walk for 5 days. what a discouraging situation. i had to crawl to use the bathroom, and even that was full of pain. of course no work, no gigs. but after it subsided, it seems i've finally narrowed down the issue to a specific thing. my L5 (lowest vertebrae) shifts to the left often, causing sciatica and shooting major pain down my left leg. it also causes the back pain which prevents me from standing.

with this knowledge, my chiropractor is now focusing on this area, and i'm finally feeling like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. i'm definitely not out of the woods at all, but perhaps this optimism can help me be more positive in general and on the path to healing.

so this has affected me for years now. 90% of the time, i can't sit down normally in a chair for more than 5 minutes at a time. it starts hurting like crazy. and once that starts, i can't stand up for long either. i have to lie down, stretch my back, and sort of reset things. then i get another 30 minutes to an hour before i have to lie down again. and some days are totally normal, but those are sporadic.

so i didn't mean to type a sob story, but rather to say i truly hope to get back to creating videos and of course finishing the AX8 video that many people were promised. i assure you, i have not just "not done it." daily life has been extremely difficult and it's something i really didn't want to share publicly.

i've been asked how could i not do the video or other videos, yet still post on the forum. well if i'm stuck lying down all day, typing on a computer is one of the few things i can do, so i tried to help there. i'm also on the beta team, and sometimes requested to do this or that, or make a video to help with a new concept or feature. so some of the recent videos may have been a request for that.

i'm looking at 2020 to be the year i figure out this back issue, be able to stand, sit, and walk like a normal person, allowing me to do the work i need. i've been gigging throughout this time, but some days are extremely challenging to stand and play music for 3 hours, let alone take out the trash at home. i'm just sick and tired of lying down for 90% of my life.

i'm really glad other people like Leon (2112) have produced such amazing content. i used to write an article on every single axe update when they were released, explaining and showing the new features, and would create videos for major changes. it was great. i'd love to do it again. and i hope this will be the year i can return to it.

thanks for reading :) thanks to anyone who has supported me in the past. no replies needed. i just wanted to express what's been going on.

thanks.

Last edited:
Your videos were always a great value and help to me, and I look forward to more of them just as soon as you're able.

I watched your tutorials when I first got an Axe II and I’ve always appreciated your work. I’m sorry to hear about everything you’ve been through and hope you are finally on a road to recovery. Good luck!

Always checked out your vids and live streams were cool too. Glad to hear you're on the mend and look forward to any new content you manage to create :)

Well Chris, I always touted your videos and how you pretty much started that happening here at Fractal forum.
Helped me immensely..........Thank You

Chronic back pain stinks! I hope the chiropractor can help. I say this with no knowledge of where you are on this, but physical therapy and regular exercise did absolute wonders for my chronic back pain/spasms. I’m rooting for you - here’s to 2020!

Please see a spine surgeon and get in the gym. You’re describing exactly what I went through in 2007 and that’s a bulging disc. What happens is the vertebral disc bulges posterolaterally and it’s pushing on and constricting the nerve root. The only fixes for this are strengthening back muscles and (hopefully avoiding) discectomy. Chiropractic is, I’m sorry to say, worthless. Adjustments might make you feel better for a short interval, but but does nothing to resolve the underlying cause. Get a real assessment from a real physician.

Chris,
Sorry to hear about this, back pain like that is a major thing.
Have you had a proper examination including an MRI and had that conferred with a back surgeon ?
If not get that ASAP, this is a case for a specialized physician, not a chiropractor.
X-rays only show fractures and bone degeneration, not protruding/herniated discs and many other things - MRI is the gold standard is a case such as your.
Get well
Best
RB

Had a laser discectomy on L5-S1 12 years ago for extreme sciatica. Herniation spilling disc guts on my sciatic nerve root. I know what you are going through and it was humbling for me at 33, life changing. Had to stop all the activities I loved.

My issue started with bulging disc and caused spasms where I could not walk for a day at a time. I went to a chiropracter for this which eventually made it worse and herniated my disc which then led to non stop sciatica and very bad pain for 3 years! Tried phys therapy for two years, without luck. Eventually I got a laser discectomy via outpatient orthoscopic surgery which removed my pain instantly. I’d do it again in a heartbeat if my pain came back and needed it.

Since then i work out hard strengethening my core and my back has never been stronger. Still play golf , etc...

USMC Trev gave great advice! Sounds like we had same issue.

Watch those chiropractors! YMMV

Hope you get better! There is light at the end and thanks for what you do! I stay pretty quiet on the boards but your’re efforts definitely helped me when I got started in 2010.

Last edited:
Thats a long time to have your back outta whack!
I feel for you man. I've been friends with my Chiro for 15 years now. Little adjustments here and there keeping my back healthy working out for the most part.

This past summer i suffered from a bulging disk (L5) and had to wear a brace for weeks. (I felt it was worse after seeing Chiro)
Whatever happened caused the sciatica tinges (not pain yet) i had for 3 years to go away.
My Chiro had issues too recently and was very close to doing laser discectomy (like Paulinfl above)

I got a prescription for a standing desk (Varidesk) for work and everything has been good. I go see my Chiro bi weekly just for the pops.

Glad you are doing better.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice and support. I really need this to get solved and you’re giving me great ideas to pursue.

Man, that really sucks! Sorry to hear about your back issues Chris. I hope that you get sorted soon.

I have had good results from chiropractic adjustments. I guess, like many other fields in medical/healthcare, there are some variances in skill with them.

Good luck getting it sorted, @chris....

Chris, You’ve been a huge (and free) help to so many here. I can’t imagine why anyone would not understand your situation. Having also dealt with a disc/nerve issue in my back, mine solved by scope surgery, I totally get what you mean when you describe the debilitating pain. You can’t even go to the restroom without extra support and extreme pain... no body movements happen without your back.

Get well, get strong. Don’t put it off, some damage can’t be reversed.

Wow, didn’t know that. Wish you all the best and full recovery.

My parter at our studio had similar issues, i know your struggle. Now that you know where the issue is, you will get better.

Happy 2020.

Back
Top Bottom