ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I finished shooting a 5 episode long Cab Pack comparison this week including all my released Cab Packs to date. I know there are many options out there right now and choosing which one to get can be a lot of work. Therefore I thought I'd create this Cab Pack comparison for you guys. I'm a Mesa guy so there's a small emphasis on these cabinets because those are ones both me and other people seem to have used the most.

The episodes are as follows:

ML Sound Lab Episode 16: 2016 Cab Pack Comparison Part 1/5:
-introduction
-based on Mesa cabinets

ML Sound Lab Episode 17: 2016 Cab Pack Comparison Part 2/5:
-based on Marshall cabinets

ML Sound Lab Episode 18: 2016 Cab Pack Comparison Part 3/5:

-other 4x12 cabinets
-is based on Orange 4x12 cab the best cabinet I've ever shot?

ML Sound Lab Episode 19: 2016 Cab Pack Comparison Part 4/5:

-based on Fender Twin, Suhr, Vox AC30
-difference between small cabs/combos and 4x12 cabs tonally

ML Sound Lab Episode 20: 2016 Cab Pack Comparison Part 5/5:

-THE GRAND FINALE: Friedman HBE + no talk + just the sound!

I had a lot of fun experimenting with these packs. Right now I'm feeling like the unsung hero of the bunch is the based on Orange PPC412 aka Citrus 4x12 from Cab Pack 19. The balance is just right in that one. :) The rightfully sung hero Cab Pack 20 with the based on Pre-Rola cabinets and the TV is still standing out as a strong contender as well. :)

Feedback is much appreciated and even better than that I'm taking recommendations/questions/ideas for future videos and what you guys want to see. Anything to give you guys more clarity on what these packs and real life cabs sound like.

Last edited:
Been watching these videos as they are released and really loving them. I think it's especially interesting to have the same set of cabs compared over multiple genres (if you like...).

A lot of the cabs translate very well between amps and it's very easy to fall into a specific combination without trying the outliers.

One thing I would love to see is the list of actual IRs used, just for reference when dialling in or comparing.

Cheers

Spence

Been watching these videos as they are released and really loving them. I think it's especially interesting to have the same set of cabs compared over multiple genres (if you like...).
Thank you! I actually wanted to create a genre specific comparison also but even when done quickly like this it's an hour long video altogether and I don't assume people to have the time to go through it.. hmm... I still want to do it badly though. I might. :)

A lot of the cabs translate very well between amps and it's very easy to fall into a specific combination without trying the outliers.
That's exactly the problem in making these comparisons. JCM800 + 15 IR's = 15 different tones. Mesa Mark IV + the same 15 IR's = 15 once again new and different guitar tones. Finding your favorite amp + ir combination will make your head spin for sure.

One thing I would love to see is the list of actual IRs used, just for reference when dialling in or comparing.

Cheers

Spence
In the first video I kind of discuss this quickly. These are mixes of the IR's in the Ace folders. It's 4-5 single mic IR's blended in together depending on which pack has the M160 option and I only used the B speaker option for all of these. It's very random to do it this way but you get an overall idea. :)

I thought the fender into the AC can was my fav of that video. I really liked that sound. That wa am not a combination people would usually try
I know. :) It's weird to think about what it would require you to do to achieve some of these sounds in real life. In here it's just a push of a button. In real life though someone would be telling you you're doing it wrong or something. :D

In the first video I kind of discuss this quickly. These are mixes of the IR's in the Ace folders. It's 4-5 single mic IR's blended in together depending on which pack has the M160 option and I only used the B speaker option for all of these. It's very random to do it this way but you get an overall idea. :)

I was actually going to ask the same question, the cab mixes all sound very balanced, You should release these mixes! lol They sound great!

Oh wow that's great to hear. :) There must be people who don't like doing mixes even though they have Cab-Lab 3. It's not a lot of work for me to do so why not right? :)
I have cablab, but my mixes don't end up sounding that balanced. I think I actually think about it to much when trying to mix, rather than just mixing things together randomly to see what I get. Too much over thinking is never a good thing right?!

Edit: by the way these videos just sealed the deal, and I just purchased CP 20!

I have cablab, but my mixes don't end up sounding that balanced. I think I actually think about it to much when trying to mix, rather than just mixing things together randomly to see what I get. Too much over thinking is never a good thing right?!
Definitely. If you choose IR's based on how balanced they are individually you may end up with something that's a bit mushy and low end heavy. You kind of have to try and find very different sounding IR's since they will compliment each other. I use the phase reverse trick to fine tune things. You have that phase switch for IR's. Turn it on and find an IR that sounds the "worst" so when you flip it back to normal you have an IR that sounds "best". Maybe a bit over-simplifying things but kind of like that yeah. :)

Edit: by the way these videos just sealed the deal, and I just purchased CP 20!
That's good to hear! It's definitely a lot of bang for the buck as you can hear and it's as Marshall as it gets. :)

Definitely. If you choose IR's based on how balanced they are individually you may end up with something that's a bit mushy and low end heavy. You kind of have to try and find very different sounding IR's since they will compliment each other. I use the phase reverse trick to fine tune things. You have that phase switch for IR's. Turn it on and find an IR that sounds the "worst" so when you flip it back to normal you have an IR that sounds "best". Maybe a bit over-simplifying things but kind of like that yeah. :)

That's good to hear! It's definitely a lot of bang for the buck as you can hear and it's as Marshall as it gets. :)
I am about to buy some cab packs today and I am buying cab lab to make mixes because only ML cab packs come with an ACE folder lol. I know nothing about mixing cabs. All I know is a love a R121 with a SM57 or an e609 (409?) Back before IR's really stepped up there game I used a stock cab in a stereo cab blk and I used the same cab on both sides and panned them center with a 121 and one cab and the 57 or 609 on the other and always loved the results. You seem like the mix master a thread with mixing tips and tricks and or a video about creating mixes would be amazing

I am about to buy some cab packs today and I am buying cab lab to make mixes because only ML cab packs come with an ACE folder lol. I know nothing about mixing cabs. All I know is a love a R121 with a SM57 or an e609 (409?) Back before IR's really stepped up there game I used a stock cab in a stereo cab blk and I used the same cab on both sides and panned them center with a 121 and one cab and the 57 or 609 on the other and always loved the results. You seem like the mix master a thread with mixing tips and tricks and or a video about creating mixes would be amazing
That's a really good idea! :) I'll start working on it ASAP.

+1000 to this idea. I have asked for this before from some of the pro level users. I think it would help allot of us.

Watched most of them, awesome.

I always found the 'mix' IR's of yours, whether done by you or Misha, a bit more balanced, and more pleasing while playing than the others, IMHO.

And also, comparing them to other mix-ready IR's, I always return to them. For example, my current fav is the V30 Mix C of the Diesel cab.

I really would like to have the exact recipes for all these mixed IR's, which is equivalent to having mix IR's for every ML cab pack, which is awesome!

Really love your mixes Mikko.

Mikko - you have to stop doing these videos - its costing me a fortune :)
Haha! Well thank you for that. I was mainly trying to make clear how the packs sound so people don't buy the wrong pack but if you find you want more of them then I guess that's just a bonus for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom