2014 USB 3.0 Hub update?

sk8te4free7

Inspired
In relating to the only post i found made back in 2012 (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/47042-axe-ii-pc-through-usb-hub.html), i've read mixed opinions but i'm curious to know if you guys have tried using one recently. The main reason for me to use a hub is to have more USB ports available since i'm wanting to use a wireless usb mouse/keyboard (and not use the track pad/keyboard on the laptop), have my pro tools authorizes key plugged in & my external HD & the axe ready to record. So, if i were to buy a USB 3.0 Hub for my MacBook Pro.. would it work properly?

I can't give you a conclusive answer, but I can raise some issues. I have a temporary setup in my living room happily running on an older MacBook Pro and a USB 2 hub, but I'm running a FireWire audio interface, so that could make a difference. Here are some things to keep in mind:

Is your MacBook Pro pretty much brand new? AFAIK, only the very latest models support USB 3. [I just checked - the mid-2012 MBPs were the first to support USB 3.] The Axe-FX II itself does not; it's a USB 2 device. It will still work in a USB 3 port, but not at USB 3 speeds.

Most hubs, either USB 3 or 2, will run at the speed of the slowest device you've got plugged into them. So unless the hub specifically states that it is a Multi-TT hub, plugging in the Axe-FX II could force everything connected to that hub to run at USB 2 speeds. If your dongle is old, it could even be USB 1.1... even slower! A serious bottleneck.

You should always use AC powered hubs... but if your USB 2 device slows down a USB 3 hub, it could also reduce the amount of power available for USB 3 devices like a hard drive, and they might not work properly or at all.

I realize this might not be much help, but AFAIK, the only MBPs with USB 3 also have Thunderbolt. [After checking, this is indeed true.] In that case, definitely get a Thunderbolt external drive; your Axe-FX II will be fine plugged into the USB 3 connection, but your dongle could still slow it down if it's not USB 2. Good luck!

Last edited:
Awesome, this helped make my decision a little easier. my MacBook Pro is a mid 2012 i7 quadcore model but doesn't have thunderbolt. I've been reading reviews on every product and it seems a bit promising as far as what i'm looking for. I was aware of the speed differences in between the USB 2/3 but that wasn't a big deal for me. I'm mostly concerned with the overall amount of ports i'd need available and the compatibility with each device.

I like to run my audio interface (axe in this case) straight into a usb port on the computer. Let the hub do less important work like the keyboard/mouse and PT key. Get a powered one incase you upgrade and buy controllers ect.

I like to run my audio interface (axe in this case) straight into a usb port on the computer. Let the hub do less important work like the keyboard/mouse and PT key. Get a powered one incase you upgrade and buy controllers ect.

I'll definitely be doing that! I've found a HUB that has individual power switches for each port and its AC powered. Definitely getting that! :D Thanks for the tips guys!

Back
Top Bottom