2011 iMac finally died.....

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
So I bought a new 2020 iMac. Looks identical from the front and back. Yes I like the internals better, but COME ON!! It has looked the same since 2008!!!! Insanely boring and lackluster Apple. 12 years and nada. Oh well...1st world problems, but I'm not impressed with this. Apple watch series 6 is the same look as the series 1. I'm sure reason Jony Ives isn't there anymore.

They are really not allowing aesthetics to enter into the picture anymore.

Actually there was a design change in 2012 to a thinner edge and no CD drive. Oh and much more of a pita to pull the screen to do anything to the internals. Cleaned my brothers 2010 27" iMac last week. They were a snap to pop off the glass held on by magnets and 8 screws to remove the display. Still happy with my late 2013 27" iMac, does all I need but I suppose it won't be much longer before its an obsolete door stop.

I really hate adding up all my apple toys, I may have a bit of an addiction.
IMG_4012.PNG

Actually there was a design change in 2012 to a thinner edge and no CD drive. Oh and much more of a pita to pull the screen to do anything to the internals. Cleaned my brothers 2010 27" iMac last week. They were a snap to pop off the glass held on by magnets and 8 screws to remove the display. Still happy with my late 2013 27" iMac, does all I need but I suppose it won't be much longer before its an obsolete door stop.

I really hate adding up all my apple toys, I may have a bit of an addiction.
View attachment 73231

I would not call that a design change, they took stuff out. The front and back are same for 12 years. I guess I'm the ONLY ONE that finds this massively lazy and boring.

So I bought a new 2020 iMac. Looks identical from the front and back. Yes I like the internals better, but COME ON!! It has looked the same since 2008!!!! Insanely boring and lackluster Apple. 12 years and nada. Oh well...1st world problems, but I'm not impressed with this. Apple watch series 6 is the same look as the series 1. I'm sure reason Jony Ives isn't there anymore.

They are really not allowing aesthetics to enter into the picture anymore.

Ive moved the imac in the direction of: a display and nothing else. All the opportunities for design features in older imacs were because it hadn't yet reached this ideal. Apple eventually reached the point where an imac has a minimal bezel and thin body, and there is now nothing left to design on the outside.

They're about to switch to a completely different CPU architecture, though. Whatever Mac you buy today won't last another 9 years. I'll likely look different, too - it'll be a hard sell initially, so I figure they'll have to crank up the "design". Slimmer bezels probably - there's nothing else "wrong" with the design as it is.

"Whatever Mac you buy today won't last another 9 years."

I'd disagree with that bit, though. My studio iMac is 2010 and still going strong, and my other non-studio one was 2011, and finally died (spontaneous reboots, memory suddenly failed, HD clagged and couldn't be reformatted etc). So I looked at what was available, and given that Apple will be going with their Apple Silicon ARM CPUs, and that will be 2-3 years before all apps work properly on them, I figured this was a good time to get a bleeding edge iMac.

So I bought a 27" iMac with the i9 Intel CPU, 128GB RAM, and an 8TB SSD, top of the range video card, etc.. Wasn't cheap, but apart from faults or failures, that will most likely last me another 10 years at least. It flies, smooth as butter, and makes my similarly-equipped Macbook Pro 15" feel slow. A maxed out current top of the range specced up iMac is probably the best bargain for a long-term computer right now.

I would not call that a design change, they took stuff out. The front and back are same for 12 years. I guess I'm the ONLY ONE that finds this massively lazy and boring.

Why is it boring? The iMac is a fantastic-looking bit of gear, and why change what ain't broke? As GlennO said above - there's nothing left to design on the outside. OK, they may slim the bezel, remove the aluminium bit at the bottom with the Apple logo, etc - but then it would look just like another monitor and have zero character.

What I mean by that is, Apple will drop Intel like a hot potato now, and software developers will follow suit. I figure it should be OK for 4-5 years, but not much more. If anything this should happen faster now than last time when Apple switched from Power PC to Intel. It also makes me wonder what Apple is going to do now that NVIDIA owns ARM. Another CPU switch in the future? Pretty sure NVIDIA will step on their balls pretty hard when licensing IP.

Why is it boring? The iMac is a fantastic-looking bit of gear, and why change what ain't broke? As GlennO said above - there's nothing left to design on the outside. OK, they may slim the bezel, remove the aluminum bit at the bottom with the Apple logo, etc - but then it would look just like another monitor and have zero character.
12 years. Let me say it again. 12 years. Same design. If that doesn't bother you fine. It does me. Yes insides matter more. But after 12 years, we should be able to have both. Apple is just not that concerned with design anymore. They have great products that sell well, I prefer them. But there is something soul crushing, as a lover of art, with a massive span with no creative ideas.

Well I guess I'm the only one that even remotely cares about this. Oh well......

Here's the iMac from the year 2056....just a guess

1601383843701.png

My vote goes to a larger 43” screen that looks and acts like a giant iPad Pro when they release the Arm iMac Pro july/Aug next year.
iMac mini 21”, iMac 27”, iMac Pro 43”
Hoping for a fanless design, that works with touch, keyboard and mouse. They still haven’t figured out finger goo yet.
Only downer I suspect would be a sealed design.
standard 1GB / 64 gig ram
expanded to 4GB / 256 gig ram.

I could care less what it looks like, it does what I need it to do. I bought my first iMac in 2010, took it out of the box, plugged it in and never had to do a thing to it. I expect the same with my 2020
Same - my 2009 iMac still works great for most things - can't handle video editing very well or at all really (8GB 1333 RAM), but I have a 2020 Mac Mini arriving today that hopefully will let me do some of that better. The 2009 though would still be a good computer for people that are just looking to do 'normal' things with it (not recording or video editing basically).

Back
Top Bottom