2 years with the Axe Ultra (and counting)

wembley

Inspired
Just wanted to share my experience with the Ultra as my main rig for some time now -- my ears still ringing from last night's gig :)

I've been using the Ultra extensively for nearly 2 years. My history with amps is the same as everybody else's here; tube amp lover, having owned nearly everything there is to own, and still own a few really good amps/cabs. At the time of purchasing the Ultra my main go-to rig was a modded JCM 2000 with a 2x12 V30 loaded cabinet, and a shitload of pedals. I kept that amp + a 20th Anniversary Ecstasy, a Bruno UG 20, a Blankenship Variplex and a couple of worn out Riveras (+ one or two that I can't remember right now, probably forgotten in a studio somewhere), a few good cabinets, and I kept all my pedals.

After buying the Ultra, I thought I'd give the FRFR thing a chance, and started gigging with it just using the in-house monitors at my regular club. Coming from the Marshall half stack tradition it really took some time getting used to, but I liked the sound coming from the Ultra so much I stuck with it, and eventually got used to hearing myself through the monitors. The first year I didn't get past the JCM 800 model, and used a dual JMC 800 patch with my ES 335 as the one and only sound for everything I did, just adding a few drive models, using the volume for cleanup, etc.

I've used it ever since I bought it for regular gigs on a weekly basis, for studio work, gigs abroad (planes), festival gigs, and I'm still impressed every time I turn it on. I've since bought a couple of Atomics, mainly to fill the room and create that in the room ambience for smaller venues (which is where I mainly play), but for some gigs, I just show up with my Ultra and pedalboard. After getting used to hearing the guitar sound as a produced sound through full range speakers, I don't miss the regular cabs at all and I've gradually learned how to listen to an amp coming from monitors or PA-systems. Tweaking a guitar sound from a FRFR source is quite different from tweaking a sound coming from a guitar cabinet, and I really had to un-learn a few things and learn a few new. But it has really paid off -- the sound of my guitar as they reach the audience, my co-musicians and me, has never been better and more inspiring.

The GAS hasn't disappeared, however, but it has shifted to guitars. I've spent a few bucks on a couple of good guitars, and the fun thing is to be able to dig out really great combinations of amps, cabs and effects to let the different guitars shine. After gigging with the 335/JCM 800 combo for about a year, I fell in love with my old Strat all over again, and these days, I tend to use the Strat (w/ Virtual Vintages) with the Plexi 1 model/V30 cab and a TS-808 drive. A classic, works great with both the Strat and my R7 Les Paul. The thing is, I've done quite a few gigs with a Blankenship Variplex (you know, the plexi clone where you turn down the current to be able to turn up the amp for overdrive and sag). With the Ultra, I'm able to more or less nail that sound, which is just about the best rock sound I've ever heard, but with far more control and predictability. And, I have to say, after the latest software update (v 11), the sound I get with my Strat and Les Pauls trough the plexi model is nothing short of amazing.

So, last year was the year of the 800, this year is the year of the Plexi, and then I've got around 60 more amps to go, which makes for great times ahead :) I've ordered the AXE II from G66, but the Ultra is still a keeper.

Just wanted to share, and to tip my hat to the great community of Axe users and the work done by Yek, D Peterson and the likes, experimenting and sharing the knowledge. Simply invaluable, and a great selling point for Fractal, I'd imagine (in addition to the constant updates from Cliff & co -- really great). Looking forward to the AXE-Fx II! Now off to test a Custom Shop Relic Strat with Danelectro pickups. Some things never change :)

I'm a new user of Ultra and i still did'nt decide which route to take:
FRFR or teh classic guitar cabinet.

Which frfr did You use?

I go directly to the PA and usually use whaterver monitor is there. In addition, I have bought a RCF NX-SMA 12 monitor (coaxial), which I use as a regular guitar cab, behind me, feeding me and everybody else sound from my Axe.

BTW, I've since upgraded to the Axe 2 :)

I go directly to the PA and usually use whaterver monitor is there. In addition, I have bought a RCF NX-SMA 12 monitor (coaxial), which I use as a regular guitar cab, behind me, feeding me and everybody else sound from my Axe.

BTW, I've since upgraded to the Axe 2 :)

and what do you think of the RCF? I'm on the fence about gong power amp cab or FRFR with my II

Love it! Took some time getting used to frfr, but I'm happy I did. Matrix is out with their own co - axial design these days, well worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom