2 years in...

I'd literally forgotten what it was like to really enjoy just playing....In the last few years I'd play for a minute or two until my inspiration turned into a 2 hour knob twisting session at which point frustration would win and I'd just turn off my amp and play acoustic. Now I suddenly like classic tones, I can dial heavy like I heard in dreams (now a lot of this has to do with how I went about crafting the other half of the combination, I built my own cabinet specifically for the axe, but still...I"m happy as a clam).

Every day is a journey now....I'm excited to play.

The sheer versatility was almost creatively paralyzing the first few days...you're flipping through the presets like a junky in awe of all of them, play a few notes and then think how could it get better? Then the next preset....and that's how. It's just a rush but then you settle down and start really coming into it. You realize it's not gonna change, it's ok to turn it off and walk away cause it will be just as cool tomorrow despite your fear it won't, the panic subsides and the creativity rushes over you like a tidal wave.

We are the luckiest generation of guitar players to date. Never before has so much been made available to so many for so little.

I've never been an audiophile but have always "heard" these sounds in my head that I wish I could achieve, the AXE FX definitely does not. There's just so much to do that sometimes I change a parameter and end up going down the rabbit hole and forget what I intended to do to begin with.

6 years. SOOOOOOO happy.... And still amazed. Still thrilled when Cliff rolls out a new FW!!

I must admit that new FW and features is a part of it. (and was also the reason i bought new amps earlier)

I've never been an audiophile but have always "heard" these sounds in my head that I wish I could achieve, the AXE FX definitely does not. There's just so much to do that sometimes I change a parameter and end up going down the rabbit hole and forget what I intended to do to begin with.

not sure i understand the post, but if the axe isn't giving you the amp tone you want, many times it's due to selecting the wrong amp model to begin with. i know people who use a recto to get that "beatles clean gritty" sound, only because they just NEED to use a recto for everything. they can't imagine playing an "old" amp like a vox or something. :) not sure how relevant that is, but definitely has affected people over the years. if you are tweaking endless advanced parameters, you may have the wrong amp model or even effect type.

You should try starting off with a reference sound for comparison; try a song from a band that has a similar sound (get it from Youtube or wherever). Then when you dial in your own tone, you can go back to the reference to remind you of what your target is.

Also, check you have the right guitar and pups for the sound you are looking for.

Are you on FW18?

Coming up on year now for me. Loved every minute of it and continuing to do so. The G3'd amps and Cab Pack 10 are currently occupying most of my time at the moment, but even before those I was loving it. It's way more fun than a person should be allowed to have with his pants on. Cab Lab, OTOH, is giving me fits with the latency. Need to keep working on that one.

2 years in! Started with AxeII MkII and Fw9! Now 18.08 and The Thing keeps going! 40 years playing guitar!
The best guitar tones I ever get in all my life! Period!

I couldn't agree more.... Ironically, I find great joy just choosing a new amp and cab and jumping in to play an amp I have never had the opportunity to play outside of the Matrix. I find new favorites and gems all the time. Best gear purchase ever!

I just played a large show at Georgetown University and the FOH guy said... "You have No amp?!"

After sound check, he just said "Wow!" 8)

6 months / 9 month (borrow my friends for 3 months while he was studying abroad).

I've always been a huge pedal board and tubes only kind of guy. When my friend let me borrow his Axe II (on FW 14 at the time) while he was abroad that all changed haha. When he took his back I missed it so much I order an XL the next day. Sold all my shit and havent looked back. Such an amazing device.

Back
Top Bottom