2 Step Amp Match Process?

guitarcal

Inspired
@FractalAudio , I am researching on how to get the most accurate tone match with using a sine sweep.

I found the following Wish List thread dating all the way back to 2012. With the help of @Morphosis I was able to figure out a good starter for the basic sine sweep method. In one of your responses though, you mentioned the below quote which leads me to believe there is an even more accurate way to tone match or "profile" my reference amps using a 2 step method?

Original Thread (see post 20)
There's a bunch of other tricks you can do. When I catch up on a few pressing things I'll do some tutorials. For example, you can do near full "profiling" using a two-step process. Capture the output EQ with the Tone Match block at high excitation levels. Export that to a cab IR. Add the cab block after the amp. Reduce the excitation level way down so that the reference amp and the model are operating in the linear (or near-linear) region. Do another Tone Match. Move the Tone Match block before the amp block. Now you have a fully profiled amp.
wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

Would you or any one else be willing to detail out these instructions for me or provide an example patch of how I could make this happen? I was unable to find any additional documentation over the subject.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this @FractalAudio ?

If I understand the original thought, the chain would look like this...

Guitar -> Tone Match (Exported to cab) #1 -> Amp -> Tone Match Block #2 -> output

Where Tone Match Capture #1 is a lower gain and lower EQ tone match cab export of the amp and Tone Match Block #2 is the higher gain higher EQ tone match of the amp.

I might be a little confused by what you mean by "high excitation levels" and "reducing the excitation level way down"...

Also, is this the most accurate way to profile the amp in the Axe FX? Or do you have any other brilliant suggestions?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom