2 Same Presets - 2 Different Sounds

JRod4928

Power User
Bought a 3rd party preset - Disabled all of the effects to hear only the amp / cab tone and thought it sounded a little dull compared to what I'd been toying with in a separate preset using the same amp. So I saved every block in the 3rd party preset and rebuilt it in a blank preset using the recall function in FM3-Edit (and verified all the channels matched up) - and sure enough it sounds much clearer in the re-built preset..... I can't share the preset because it's 3rd party.

Why is this the case? I would've expected both presets to sound identical.

Need to compare the presets parameter by parameter...

I wonder if it reset the parameters that you can't see when you recalled the blocks in the editor???

Did you copy the Controllers, Input and Output blocks? Those all can potentially affect the preset sound. It’s a stretch but worth checking.

Do you happen to know what firmware the 3rd party preset was created with?

Yes, saving a block should save every parameter, but Yek’s recommendation to manually compare parameter by parameter is where I’d start. Start with the cab block because it has far fewer parameters.

Did you copy the Controllers, Input and Output blocks? Those all can potentially affect the preset sound. It’s a stretch but worth checking.

Do you happen to know what firmware the 3rd party preset was created with?

Yes, saving a block should save every parameter, but Yek’s recommendation to manually compare parameter by parameter is where I’d start. Start with the cab block because it has far fewer parameters.

I copied Input blocks, but now that you mention it I think I forgot the output block.. not sure what you mean by copying controllers.

Not sure of firmware. It was Released November 2020.

The Controllers aren’t a block on the grid, it’s where internal controllers and modifiers are stored and adjusted. You can save them to the block library like any other block. Think Scene Controllers, Envelope Controller, LFO, ADSR, etc. If the 3rd party preset uses any internal controllers attached to parameters on the amp or cab block, that could impact the sound.

In FM3-Edit, tap to the Controllers page and then you should see the option to save to block library.

You may have to do a reset in the individual blocks when importing the purchased preset, since it was created on an older FW.
By the new setting of the blocks this was possibly made automatically.

So the "original" preset is not fully compatible with your FW. And your newly created preset is.

Back
Top Bottom