2 questions, mic hook up, and latency

I am trying to hook up a mic into input 2. I've got a Behringer MIC300 pre, going in to input two. 90-100% of the sound is coming out of the left channel. I've tried balance and unbalanced 1/4" cables and it doesn't change. On the preset side of things, all I have is an input block and an output block.

My other question is about latency. I just started using the FM3 as the sole interface. The latency I think is noticeable monitoring through the headphones or monitors. I don't remember it being this noticeable when I was using the SPDIF going into my Focusrite Interface. Is there a setting I need to change or how can I improve the latency?

I appreciate any help and I apologize if I am not suppose to stack questions in one thread.

set Input 2 to Left only if you're only using the Left input. Setup > I/O

headphones will monitor the guitar sound directly from the FM3 so there should not be any latency with the guitar while you play. please explain what you mean by latency.

Copy that on the input setup. I will try that.

My thoughts are exactly yours...there should not be any latency through the headphones. But I swear there seems to be what I am hearing out of the headphones has an ever so slight delay from my playing.

Copy that on the input setup. I will try that.

My thoughts are exactly yours...there should not be any latency through the headphones. But I swear there seems to be what I am hearing out of the headphones has an ever so slight delay from my playing.
make sure the headphones are plugged in securely.

Phones are secure and USB is unplugged, and still delay. I've see a video from a guy that was showing that there is a certain amount of latency with every processor. And the FM3 was either 2 or 3ms. Maybe that is what I am noticing?

Phones are secure and USB is unplugged, and still delay. I've see a video from a guy that was showing that there is a certain amount of latency with every processor. And the FM3 was either 2 or 3ms. Maybe that is what I am noticing?
i don't think humans can perceive 2 milliseconds of delay.

you're saying you also hear latency when playing guitar if using Out 1 to monitors? are your headphones hard-wired or are they bluetooth headphones of some sort?

please confirm that the latency you're describing is ONLY when playing guitar, and not the playback from the computer.

It's extremely unlikely that you would be able to notice a latency of a few msec. Perhaps it's a peculiarity of the specific preset you're using. Does this latency happen with all the factory presets?

I'm using Shure wired headphones. I do agree I think 2ms would be tough to notice. I swear it just seems like if the volume is set low enough that I can hear the pick attack on the strings before hearing it through the headphones. I'm not talking a huge amount of delay, but I think enough to notice it doesn't "feel' immediate.
It's definitely not going to the PC then back to the headphone output, because I had the USB unplugged at one point.

2 ms is equivalent to roughly 2 feet at the speed of sound. If you've ever played through an amp and cab that was more than 2 feet away from your head, you've had at least that much latency all along.

Hi Brian,
Regarding the latency - Is it possible this is related to the preset you are using to test for it? - make sure any delay, plexiglass delay, or reverb blocks are disabled in the preset just in case.
Thanks
Pauly.

I am trying to hook up a mic into input 2. I've got a Behringer MIC300 pre, going in to input two. 90-100% of the sound is coming out of the left channel. I've tried balance and unbalanced 1/4" cables and it doesn't change. On the preset side of things, all I have is an input block and an output block.

My other question is about latency. I just started using the FM3 as the sole interface. The latency I think is noticeable monitoring through the headphones or monitors. I don't remember it being this noticeable when I was using the SPDIF going into my Focusrite Interface. Is there a setting I need to change or how can I improve the latency?

I appreciate any help and I apologize if I am not suppose to stack questions in one thread.

I will try a few more presets to see if that is the difference. I know the ones I've made use the room reverb in the cab block. Maybe that is the issue.

Ok so after some preset trials...I think I found out what the issue is. I think it has to do with the noise gate. I've never changed it from the stock setting, but with it off I think it definitely improves the response feel.

My next question is...can you shut it off globally? or do I need to do it for every preset?

Back
Top Bottom