2 Preamps, 1 Rig

GreatGreen

Power User
So I'm building a guitar rack for the studio that includes two tube preamps and a stereo tube poweramp. The end goal is to wire the preamps into an RJM Effect Gizmo or some other loop switcher so I can put each preamp in its own loop, and then switch between them. Easy enough.

However, I've recently discovered how incredible the rig sounds when the two preamps are run together. The rig sounds great whether the preamps are blended or in full stereo. This presents me with a problem though, because the RJM Effect Gizmo can't selectively run two loops in parallel, either mono or stereo, as far as I know.

Using the Axe-Fx, all these routing options are easy. Just route each preamp into the Axe-Fx's L and R inputs and then use Vol/Pan blocks to do the rest. But again, I'd like to be able to do this without the Axe-Fx, mostly because it will make integrating the Axe-Fx into the rig a lot easier.

Is there any way you can think of, without using the Axe-Fx's routing capabilities, to make this rig capable of switching between these four configurations at any time?:
1. Preamp A
2. Preamp B
3. Blended Preamps
4. Stereo Preamps

hmm I used to have a triaxis, and a jmp1 that I switched between via a patchmate, but it was one or the other. forget the brand name but there is a midi router that allows any kind of switching.

I know the Switchblade will let you do that kind of thing, but that's an AD/DA device and I'd like to keep the rack as analog as possible so that the Axe-Fx is the only point of AD/DA conversion in the rig.

You have several options for switchers that'll allow parallel switching, to name a few from the top of my head
1) Switchblade
2) RJM Mastermind PBC
3) Boss ES-8
there's possibly a few more that I'm forgetting right now

I know the Switchblade will let you do that kind of thing, but that's an AD/DA device and I'd like to keep the rack as analog as possible so that the Axe-Fx is the only point of AD/DA conversion in the rig.

The Switchblade is a pure analogue device with digital control. There are no AD/DA conversions in it.

So I'm building a guitar rack for the studio that includes two tube preamps and a stereo tube poweramp. The end goal is to wire the preamps into an RJM Effect Gizmo or some other loop switcher so I can put each preamp in its own loop, and then switch between them. Easy enough.

However, I've recently discovered how incredible the rig sounds when the two preamps are run together. The rig sounds great whether the preamps are blended or in full stereo. This presents me with a problem though, because the RJM Effect Gizmo can't selectively run two loops in parallel, either mono or stereo, as far as I know.

Using the Axe-Fx, all these routing options are easy. Just route each preamp into the Axe-Fx's L and R inputs and then use Vol/Pan blocks to do the rest. But again, I'd like to be able to do this without the Axe-Fx, mostly because it will make integrating the Axe-Fx into the rig a lot easier.

Is there any way you can think of, without using the Axe-Fx's routing capabilities, to make this rig capable of switching between these four configurations at any time?:
1. Preamp A
2. Preamp B
3. Blended Preamps
4. Stereo Preamps

Try getting in touch with RJM to see if they can help to configure your rig. I would think you would need to use a few Y jacks to get it to work. Check the VooDoo labs GCX site out the have some setups posted on their website. Hope this helps, Techboy57

Back
Top Bottom