2 Pitch Blocks

I have no idea about CPU and DSP power. I only know the FM9 has probably the same or more power than the Axe fx II. How this relates exactly to specific blocks and algos I don't know. Maybe the pitch block takes much more power than other blocks? There are two reverb blocks in the FM9 and reverbs usually take also much power. That's why I thought two pitch block should be possible also. But again I am just guessing.
I suppose one could put it in the wish list and see what happens.

I wouldn’t assume it’s a technical limitation. It might be a marketing issue, designed to help provide separation between the products in the line.

Not sure about that but that might be a reason....
On the other hand it might works against it. Since I will probably buy the FM9 when it has two pitch block otherwise I will stay with my Axe fx II.

The Axe FX II runs a completely different algorithm and that's the main reason it can run 2 pitch blocks. In the Axe FX III, and FM units they run on Cygnus Which I'm gathering is a much more complex algorithm. The Axe FX III has 50% more processing power then the FM9 that right there should tell why 2 pitch blocks can't be run in the FM. WiKi link on processing!
The amp modeling algorithm most likely has NO bearing on any of this. That applies to Amp blocks only...

There have long been questions about "why does Block X only allow Y instances?"

For most effects I don't think it really matters. They use X amount of the DSP. If X amount is available it should be technically possible to run another instance.

I'm sure there may be some other limiting factors, but Fractal has never revealed them as far as I'm aware.

If we had a single voice high quality capo/whammy block in addition to the current pitch block... It could be useful and maybe save a lot of cpu in certain presets, for all current gen FAS units.

If we had a single voice high quality capo/whammy block in addition to the current pitch block... It could be useful and maybe save a lot of cpu in certain presets, for all current gen FAS units.

That’s true a second pitch block would be mostly for Whammy and drop stuff for me and most people I guess.

Also two 2 voice pitch blocks is much more flexible than one 4 voice pitch block.

The amp modeling algorithm most likely has NO bearing on any of this. That applies to Amp blocks only...

There have long been questions about "why does Block X only allow Y instances?"

For most effects I don't think it really matters. They use X amount of the DSP. If X amount is available it should be technically possible to run another instance.

I'm sure there may be some other limiting factors, but Fractal has never revealed them as far as I'm aware.
Yeah I'm not any where informed enough on how all of the particulars are laid out in how the effects are processed other than how it was explained in the WiKi which seems pretty rutamentry!

It would be interesting to know how it is done though! I highly suspect it's above my pay grade :rolleyes:. Oh well I will just go back to figuring out how to engage the boost function with an external switch without have to hold down the button the entire solo :tonguewink:.

Putting me down for a dedicated virtual capo block or 2nd pitch block. I use the virtual capo a lot, especially as I get older and need to drop some tunes down a bit to help with vocals. Just a guess but I think that the pitch blocks get used for the virtual capo a significant amount in the grid.

That’s true a second pitch block would be mostly for Whammy and drop stuff for me and most people I guess.

Also two 2 voice pitch blocks is much more flexible than one 4 voice pitch block.
The pitch block in the current gen has more options than the II has. Also there’s 2 pitch voices in the reverb for shimmer effects( not yet in the fm3).

The pitch block in the current gen has more options than the II has. Also there’s 2 pitch voices in the reverb for shimmer effects( not yet in the fm3).

I know but that’s not the same as two separate pitch blocks. You can’t have whammy and drop together on the FM9 or whammy and harmony or drop and harmony and so on.

Back
Top Bottom