Wish 2 pitch blocks please

"So this could be put to bed…"? 🤣

CPU usage and latency in the Pitch block page in the Wiki explains why it's not easily done and I recommend reading it, but in short, pitch detection adds latency.

This is what I see:
  • The FX3 can run two Pitch blocks because it’s the equivalent of two FM9 units.
  • Many of the Pitch block models have the option of picking where the detection occurs. The FM9 has the same option for its single Pitch block, but it doesn't have the CPU resources to run two without doubling the latency.
  • The blocks could be written so that they ONLY can take their detection from the same source or a single detector routine, but we know that people won't want that limitation. One person will say "Sure! Do it!" and another will say "No way!", so it's a stalemate.
  • People think that Reverb or other blocks could be sacrificed, but from my reading of the Wiki, the manual and the Blocks guide, that won't reduce the latency, it'll slightly reduce the dedicated core's load but that's invisible to us. As is, we can run dual reverb blocks at the highest quality and the FM9 won't even blink so reducing the quality or removing a block won't help. Again, see the last sentence in the third bullet.
  • Whether it’s technical or otherwise, it’s not going to change with continued requests UNLESS Cliff finds a way to make it happen in a way that meets his requirements. He is always looking at ways to improve the system and we need to accept that because he's an extremely benevolent dictator. The request has already been seen MANY times, and repeatedly asking "But WHY!?" and saying "I WANT IT!" won't change it but it could result in the car getting turned around.
  • There is absolutely no way this restriction is tied to differentiating the different units; That makes no sense for a company working with embedded computers where you MUST get the most out of the hardware or you're wasting money. Fractal wants to see all the systems be the best they can be, and nobody wants that more than Cliff because then they'd CRUSH the competition.

Thank you so much Greg for your comprehensive explanation, I think everybody here loves when there's competent people explaining the inner workings of our FAS systems 🖤

I think the 2 pitch blocks request will continue to appear from time to time because for a new FM9 users it can appear strange they can't use an octaver/pitch (meant as virtual capo) + a separate harmonizer.
I also had in the past a couple of less powerful systems that simply did it, considering a "pitch" (capo/octaver) as a different block type from any "harmonizer".

In my experience the main use of 2 pitch blocks is to put:
  • a Capo/Octaver before any distortion
  • an Harmonizer after any eventual distortion, for a better sound treatment
I suppose everybody can accept a longer latency in FM9 if present only with these 2 blocks active,
and most people (not all indeed, we both know...) may accept in FM9 that there's only one pitch detection point, as a good compromise,
e.g. kept somewhere before distortion.

NOTE:
For people having both AF3 and FM9, this can also solve one of the more "annoying" AX3/FM9 presets' compatibility issues:
when I move AF3 presets to FM9 I'm forced to split and double them (everyone with 1 of the 2 pitch blocks that must be anyway and forcibly named "Pitch1" :rolleyes:, not named "Pitch2"..) then spread PC mapping pointing accordingly.
This presets doubling also adds more gap switching cases with FM9.

Last edited:
Well we could always buy one these of course. If it wasn't so expensive I probably would have had it by now. The other thing I don 't like is the fact that you need to hook up yet another extra switch for the hold and blend function. They also have a new volume swell thing which you can use along. That together with the wireless option (which is another 60 bucks) means you have to carry and hook up 4 extra things. But sounds really good I think and more 'musical' than a Whammy pedal or block:

"So this could be put to bed…"? 🤣

CPU usage and latency in the Pitch block page in the Wiki explains why it's not easily done and I recommend reading it, but in short, pitch detection adds latency.

A virtual carpo would definitely be very latency sensitive and require the full power but as I view it for pretty much all harmonies and chorus effects a higher latency wouldn't be such a big deal so maybe there could be a compromise of having the 2nd pitch block being operated with higher latency ?

A virtual carpo would definitely be very latency sensitive and require the full power but as I view it for pretty much all harmonies and chorus effects a higher latency wouldn't be such a big deal so maybe there could be a compromise of having the 2nd pitch block being operated with higher latency ?
The Wiki Pitch block, CPU usage and latency section with Cliff talking about the issues explains it all: It's all about physics and time, not so much about CPU power. Additional latency will happen.

The Wiki Pitch block, CPU usage and latency section with Cliff talking about the issues explains it all: It's all about physics and time, not so much about CPU power. Additional latency will happen.

Ok, let's leave out CPU power. Still, latency will be added only to FX signal of the pitch block. This matters in case of a virtual capo where you run the FX level at 100% but not necessarily to a pitch block used for harmonies or chorus like effects. That's why I'd say the latency added by a 2nd pitch block doesn't need to be of any concern and shouldn't prevent the additional block from being considered, and btw : the same problem applies to the AxeFX3 because that's physics and isn't tied to CPU power, right ?

Ok, let's leave out CPU power. Still, latency will be added only to FX signal of the pitch block. This matters in case of a virtual capo where you run the FX level at 100% but not necessarily to a pitch block used for harmonies or chorus like effects. That's why I'd say the latency added by a 2nd pitch block doesn't need to be of any concern and shouldn't prevent the additional block from being considered, and btw : the same problem applies to the AxeFX3 because that's physics and isn't tied to CPU power, right ?
The FX3 is a different architecture with processors that run circles around the FM units' processors. It only supports two pitch blocks which tells me something about the task.

The rest would be for Fractal to say. I think it's a balancing act that they're aware of. It could also be getting into proprietary information about their implementation that nobody else needs to know. I'm not inclined to second-guess or try to drive from the backseat because I think Fractal's done and will continue to do an excellent job.

Back
Top Bottom