2 mono cab VS. 1 stereo cab block?

baakchigi

just like the subjects says..

does anyone feel the difference between the two?
even when the mono cabs are in hi res?

just wondering what people are thinking with this

thanks

Hi baakchigi,
if you compare 1 cab low res stereo with 2 cabs mono low res it should be the same, as far as I understand it. But I haven't made a direct comparison. Tried the hi res thing in stereo and stuck with it. It imho definitively makes a difference to use 2 high res cabs. The tone is better defined. Like mp3s with different data transfer rates, 320 kbps is way better than 128 kbps, but not everyone can hear this under all circumstances.
Maybe this is not the best analogy, but maybe it helps to get the head around ... :lol:
Lots of folks with better technical explanation to chime in ... :roll:
Hope this helps anyway. :p
Micha

Thank you for the reply

one of the reason I'm asking is..
I like to have a lot of effect blocks in my one preset for I use the CC mode with my pedalboard..

I was always using the 2 mono hi res cabs until now... but it turns out those two cabs take up
quite a bit of cpu... so I'm thinking about using just 1 stereo cab block..

I'll try to a/b the two I guess

I use a stereo cab block all the time. I find the lo-res to meet my needs, and I don't have any issues with it. In addition, I find the routing much simpler with a stereo cab block than it would be with two mono blocks, especially if you're tring to retain channel separation and not collapse anything to mono unintentionally.

In Reality its a difference. It is a difference if you have one 4x12cabinet which you drive stereo or if xou have two 4x12cabinets which you drive both mono. I think thats regarded in the Axe.

I wondered about something similar last night after powering down.

It's not the same as the original question, but I was wondering if two mono Lo Res blocks use more cumputational power than one STEREO cab block. They would both come out to two 512-sample convolutions, but would the routing involved eat up any more processing power? I might run that experiement tonight to find out, and if it would lead to any discernable difference.

FWIW a single hi-res mono sounds way clearer to me than the lo-res stereo cabs. Enough so that I only use the high-res mono though it takes a little extra work for me to balance 2 cabs stereo. I'd rather drop a couple of effects or run through a single mono cab if I don't have enough CPU headroom. I think that if you need to run a cab for a preset, this is a significant part of the Axe-FX's sound.

Back
Top Bottom