2 MFC's at once....

ssmorga78

Experienced
Has anyone made a monster rig and used 2 MFC's at the same time on their board? I am curious about this because I really want to add more IA switches to control effects and x/y states on my patches. I am not even sure if this can be done......but it sure would be cool if it could be. I know that you can connect multiple MIDI controllers as long as you are using different inputs on the back of the Axe, i.e. MFC connected to Ethernet port, Other MIDI device connected to MIDI port. If it is possible to hook up 2 MFC's in this fashion I suppose my next question would be how would each get power? I am assuming that the phantom power would not be able to power both on your board, thus causing you to have to plug one of the MFC's into power out at your board.

Anyone tried this or happen to be running a setup like this with success?

Yeah, I already have one of those. I am using it and still need more switches for on/off of effects and also x/y states. I know that I could use scenes and program it to say Scene 1 is all X states, Scene 2 is all Y states, etc.... but I will find myself wanting to use X state of an Amp and then wanting to flip flop between X & Y state of an effect sometimes. I would just find it more useful to be able to access all the effects I have programmed in a preset and be able to access all the x/y options of each effect as well. Now, if they could write the code for the MFC to allow press & hold x/y switching like the FX8 and AX8 have then that would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure I would like that lag time it takes to activate the states when using the press & hold function. Also, I'm not sure that option is even available with just a programming option on the MFC. It may be more intensive than just writing code. I am seriously considering adding a KM Softstep that will give me 10 more switches in addition to what I have now and save a little money over purchasing another MFC, but the MFC would give me 17 more switch options.....not sure I need that much though. I was just mainly curious as to if anyone was running or had tried to run that setup and if it worked or was possible.

Well, there are lots of ways to skin this cat. If you are going to use two MFCs then you might have to use one of them (the secondary) to just be IA Switches only. Anything more can cat very complicated. The secondary MFC would have to "follow" the first by receiving the MIDI PCs on the same channel as the Axe-Fx so that it can follow the Preset changes or the two MFCs would be on different Presets. There's lots of opportunity to get hosed up. I suspect it will work, but you'll have to pay attention to how you set that up.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping that someone had tackled this bear before. I was just going to use it for its IA switches only. I wasn't going to try to add additional controllers to it, as the 4 pedals and 4 switches I have are already enough and I would honestly probably ditch the 4 external switches and just use the 2nd MFC.....unless I wanted to still use it and use it for Delay Hold functions, Reverb Hold functions, etc...

In a perfect world, I would just think you set the 2nd MFC to Axe Fx mode, plug it into the Axe and be up and running. I am sure that is not the case as that seems like it would be so simple and work perfectly, lol. I know they would have to be on the same channel, but what exactly would need to be done??? I really have no clue as to the complexities called MIDI control other than making sure the controller is sending on the correct channel, and what CC# to program so that the switch turns on/off the correct effect.

I have not tried 2 mfc 101 controllers but I have used 2 fcb 1010 units and it worked just like using 1. I used it as a second place for control and not for more control. I need to try 1 mfc and 1 fcb though to see if it would work.(maybe this week end) I don't see why it wouldn't. as Bwanagary said though if both mfcs were set to axe fx mode it might get funny.

Yeah, it's been mentioned time and time again and to my knowledge(which is not extensive) Cliff has never responded to any of those post on MFC wishes with things like the hold&toggle like the FX8 and such....would be nice if someone would just say "Hey, it can't be done" if it's not possible.

Mastermind Gt has the possibility to use several IA pages (but it has also the mini LCD displays that change instantly the IA names ). I think that MCF 101 could have two pages of IA. It would be enough a double name label ( for example Drive/Synth) across each switch.

Back
Top Bottom