2 Guitars Plugged in at the same time

I use a second input (input 4) on the grid for a second guitar and do this for guitar lessons where a student comes to my studio

We both play at the same time without issue. I use the output level on the input block to level the students guitar to the same as mine, which can change depending on the guitar they have, pickup output etc.

Iā€™m away for a couple of days but happy to post a picture when Iā€™m back if that helps.

I use a second input (input 4) on the grid for a second guitar and do this for guitar lessons where a student comes to my studio

We both play at the same time without issue. I use the output level on the input block to level the students guitar to the same as mine, which can change depending on the guitar they have, pickup output etc.

Iā€™m away for a couple of days but happy to post a picture when Iā€™m back if that helps.
Right, but is that a per preset setting or can it be applied globally. I really do not want to have to do that everytime I change to a different preset, like I have to add a WAH block for every preset I want to use my WAH pedal on. Here I just want to have 2 guitars live at the same time. Pick up one, put the other down, like a normal amp might be setup. But yes, please post a photo. It might help. There's got to be a way.

Last edited:
One feature I miss from the Axe-Fx II is the ability to have independent front and rear inputs for Input 1. Just pick up your second guitar, roll up the volume, and you're good to go.
On the other hand - and thatā€˜s the way I use it - you have the advantage to be able to setup all your connections on the back Inputs of the AXE-Fx and still have the front Input as an emergency, spare, additional or similar Input.

Reactions: Rex
On the other hand - and thatā€˜s the way I use it - you habe to advantage to be able to setup all your connections on the back Inputs of the AXE-Fx and still have the front Input as an emergency, spare or additional or similar Input.
Unless someone comes up with a more graceful way to do this, I will probably get this box which has two inputs (for two guitars) and one output (going to the AXE FX III so I can keep both guitars connected and with one button switching them. Amazon product ASIN B000FKIPE8. Oh, the link didn't post. Maybe I violated a rule, sorry but its a Radial BigShot i/o True Bypass Instrument Selector

On the other hand - and thatā€˜s the way I use it - you have the advantage to be able to setup all your connections on the back Inputs of the AXE-Fx and still have the front Input as an emergency, spare, additional or similar Input.
Yes, that works. But you have to edit each preset to make it work. The Axe II method was global and quick. And you still had the emergency front input option.

Unless someone comes up with a more graceful way to do this, I will probably get this box which has two inputs (for two guitars) and one output (going to the AXE FX III so I can keep both guitars connected and with one button switching them. Amazon product ASIN B000FKIPE8. Oh, the link didn't post. Maybe I violated a rule, sorry but its a Radial BigShot i/o True Bypass Instrument Selector
There are a lot of cheaper options I think. Like this one. 85357F71-720B-43F1-8B2A-95DF936CFEEB.jpeg

Maybe I donā€™t really understand but ?

If you just want to change guitar between 2 songs just push the tuner in mute mode and plug your jack in the other guitar ?!

If you want to play with both your feet and hands with 2 guitars at the same time : input 1 and 2 / output 1 and 2 with the preset done for this

Why using an a/b box ?

Ah, apologies, I actually misunderstood what youā€™re trying to do - I thought you meant two guitars that could be played simultaneously.

Having said that, I actually do what it is youā€™re trying to achieve, but I do it using a wireless receiver and two transmitters. I use this to switch between guitars when gigging - separate transmitter on each guitar strap and the receiver going into input 1.

Sorry!

Does it have 2 inputs? Some of these devices have two outputs, which is not what I want. 2 guitars going into 2 inputs to 1 output (the AXE). Thanks for the info.
It has two inputs and one output. Or one input and two outputs. Depends on what you plug into it. ;)

I use a Big Shot and always keep one in my bag. Man, I can't tell you how many times that thing has come in handy.

Does it have 2 inputs? Some of these devices have two outputs, which is not what I want. 2 guitars going into 2 inputs to 1 output (the AXE). Thanks for the info.
Yes. It can be used both way. 2 IN to 1 OUT or 1 IN to 2 OUT. And can be routed alternatively (A/B) or simultaneously (Y).

There are a lot of pedals like that. Just search ā€œABY Pedalā€ or just ā€œA/B Pedalā€ if you donā€™t need to play the 2 INs at the same time.

A lot of them are passive, so you wonā€™t need power supply or just power to have the led ON/OFF.

Last edited:
A/B function is available only py using multiple inputs on the grid. That comes from Axe philosophy - there is no fixed signal path but empty grid where you can put blocks and connect them as you wish - inputs and outputs are also blocks.

I was playing some time ago with that and created a preset where I could connect 5 guitars (inputs 1, 2 and 3) and select the guitar with multiplexer block and control switch choosing left or right channel from in 2 and 3. I preffer endless routing possibilities of axe instead of hardwired A/B switch (I do not think it is possible by software - anyway software solution would decrease routing possibilities) .

The easiest way for you is to connect both guitars to in2 and change input block on all presets. Then just turn vol pot down on one and turn vol pot up on second and it will work. The issue could be input level difference on both instruments, but that can be sorted different way.

I have quite complicated solution at the end of my patches which organizes my outputs (FOH, AMP and IEM) and inputs (IEM mix, USB audio) with volume blocks and filters to mix and change routing on the fly. I had to spent 2 hours to put that into all presets I am using, but at the end of the day I have it and do not need any additional piece of gearā€¦

You'll need both an In 1 and an In 2 block on the grid for it to work, like this:

View attachment 96533
At this point, I would like to remember an obviously often overlooked feature of the Input blocks.

IMHO, the most convenient way to connect 2 guitars is to put 2 Input blocks in serial.

An example:

Input block 1 is not bypassed.
Consequently only (!) Input 1 is fed to and to be heard in the signal chain. Input 2 is silent.

1645365181329.png

Input block 1 is bypassed.
Consequently only Input 2 is fed to and to be heard in the signal chain. Input 1 is silent.

1645365551703.png

The advantage:
You need only one switch 1:1 assigned to one Input block. That keeps the presets straight, tidy, maintenance- and error-free.

The Method works best - IMO - with a Control Switch (= CS) assigned to the Bypass of - in this example - Input 1.
A CS set to its feature "Last" keeps its state even when changing scenes or presets.

The method works with more than 2 Input blocks, too.

For more than 2 Input blocks the use of a Multiplexer or Mixer block may be a good solution, either, depending on your intention.

Last edited:
I had in the past solution with switched inputs - it happened to me few times that I changed the bass but forgot to press foot switch and I had a moment of concern why there is no sound from my bass...

Solution with input blocks in parallel does not require any switch at all - it is just turn the volume pot on guitar up or down.

The advantage - even with connection of 7 guitars you do not need any switch to control it.
The disadvantage - noise if you forget to put volume down on other instrument.

Anyway, there could be a CS assigned to input blocks or MUX to switch the signal, so it work exactly as Iangohr solution. It could be also done with MIX block.

Anyway I end up with Shure wireless with 3 body packs paired, that is my way to switch basses. I have trained reflex to switch body pack off when I put away the instrument and switch on when I take it.

Still happened one or two times that there was no sound, but I knew than I forgot to return volume pedal position.

Back
Top Bottom