2 guitars, 2 different amp settings, one button to switch between globally?

Ok so, i'm pretty sure the ax8 cannot do this, but maybe, there's a workaround.

Let's say I have 2 guitars, each that sound different, and I've EQ'ed them differently using the same amp block but different settings.

How can I, switch between these two amp settings, while still using scenes?

EG. If i do XY, it works PER scene but as soon as I go through the next scene, it'll go back to scene X (guitar 1), and not stay on the switched Y (guitar 2).

Is there a way I can have this set so all I have to click once, and it'll stay in Y or X settings throughout all the scene changes?

One way might be to set your function switches to change presets up and down then copy your preset for one guitar to the adjacent preset and then dial in the second preset for the second guitar.

I'd go with a second preset myself, but another way might be
scenes 1-4 for guitar/amp 1/x, and
scenes 5-8 for guitar/amp 2/y

If you use an external switch, you can have a filter block in front of the amp that adapts your amp settings from one guitar to the other.
The external switch stays the same, when you change presets and scenes, so you will always have the right settings for the right guitar. Unfortunately, external switches cannot control X/Y state, so you have to do the adaptation in a seperate filter or EQ block.

How many scenes do you have in your preset? If it's four or less, set four of your scenes for guitar X and the other 4 for guitar Y.

Otherwise, just use separate presets. It'll take you way longer to switch guitars than it will take you to switch presets.

If you use an external switch, you can have a filter block in front of the amp that adapts your amp settings from one guitar to the other.
The external switch stays the same, when you change presets and scenes, so you will always have the right settings for the right guitar. Unfortunately, external switches cannot control X/Y state, so you have to do the adaptation in a seperate filter or EQ block.

Actually, you CAN set up an external switch to control XY. Instead of assigning the switch to an External Controller, scroll down the list in SETUP > IO > CTRL and look for AMP XY. The default is CC100 but you can change to any of the 4 pedal ports.

Unfortunately, unlike some other settings when assigned to an external switch, XY still respects scene changes. So even if you are switching Amp XY with an external switch, when you change scenes, the Amp XY will follow with whatever is stored in that particular scene. So your Filter block solution is still better for the OP in this case.

I have a redundant bank of presets for my backup guitar so that if I have to change guitars everything is optimized for it's not-quite-the-same pickups.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom