2 Guitars, 1 AxeFX

Rich G.

Experienced
Anyone using 2 Guitars into 1 AxeFX unit? I'm curious as to what amp/cab combinations you're using.

For my application I'd be using it in a modern country band with a Les Paul Traditional/Fender Tele. What would be would be a good combination for those guitars?

Which ever you like best. Only you can answer this ? I have 40+ guitars and use several different amps, some guitars do sound different in different amps but this is way they make guitars different.

I used it on a gig recently... No problem

Just couldn't get the panning to work in time.. Maybe my mistake who knows... Sounded great for a jam band that we are... Not pros....

I use Strats for single coil and PRSs for humbucking tones.
I have different patches setup for the two/several guitars and change them via an AB box used in reverse.
I have some patches for both but they are usually the heavier Marshall style amps.

Actually I have three guitars hooked up to my axe fx...I control them with a small non powered 4 channel mixer mixer. I use all 4 channels because the third guitar is a MIDI guitar and I can run one line from the guitar to my MIDI equipment and another 1/4 inch line for just the guitar sounds.

Been doing it for years....from left to right....Godin ACS SA (my MIDI and classical guitar) PRS Modern Eagle 1 Private Stock and a Fender 57 reissue strat. The axe fx II is my unit I run them into and below that is a axon ax 100 mark II that goes into a Yamaha Motif XS rack I use for all my MIDI guitar sounds. I use an EV 115P powered speaker for my (full range flat response) monitor.

The other guitar is a Taylor 312 CE and I run that into a chorus pedal and then into my fender acoustisonic amp. (I have the acoustic on a completely seperate channel than my electric guitars going to the board...so I take up two channels at the PA board, but it just sounds a lot better with the acoustic guitar having it's own channel and amp.)

Later on at the end of the year, I plan on getting a Line 6 JT Variax guitar so I can really cover all the bases! I would use the MIDI guitar for non-guitar sounds like.... strings, horns,etc. and the variax would cover guitar sounds that I would never use very often, but yet would be there in one guitar if I needed them....such as 12 string acoustic guitar or semi and full hollow body guitars....etc.
000_0688_zps6759fc88.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have 2 guitars and 1 bass hooked up to the Axe at the same time back when we were doing small-venue gigs (and we still had a second guitarist) and wanted to keep the stage equipment as small as possible.
As you have 2 amp blocks and 2 drives available, that works just fine. Both guitarists had a seperate amp and cab model; the bassist used a drive and a Tonematch block as a stand-in cab.

When using RTN, FXL and SND blocks and volume blocks to seperate stereo channels, you can have up to 4 completely seperate (mono) signal paths with individual inputs and outputs in your Axe.

However, I felt it was completely impractical to run everything through a single Axe, as everyone else but me had only 2 external buttons and 1 external pedal available by default (as the MFC only has 4 external button outs). And the CPU limitation was also killing it.

Nowadays I just have my two gigging guitars connected to the Axe permanently and everyone else uses his own gear. It's just way simpler to set up.

It was a neat portable all-in-one band rig, though.

Attachments

• routing.jpg
    routing.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 81
Another way is to keep the Left and Right channels separated, and use each for a different guitar signal.

Using Input Select and Balance (in VOL, AMP or DRIVE) at the start of the grid to separate the input signals.

P.S. Creative grid design, Zwiebelchen (it feels kinda weird typing your forum name....). I'll add that to the wiki.

Last edited:
Another way is to keep the Left and Right channels separated, and use each for a different guitar signal.

Using Input Select and Balance (in VOL, AMP or DRIVE) at the start of the grid to separate the input signals.

Yeah if you only have two guitars, this is the way to go, simply because it gets rid of the FXL block.

Bummer though that the Axe tuner only considers the left channel of Input 1, so you pretty much need an external tuner when doing that.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom