2 guitars, 1 axe fx ultra?

futurist2017

I'm trying to use 2 guitars through my axe fx ultra with little experience and not having much luck, can somebody give me a walkthrough? As it is, here's what I have:
Chain 1: [amp][cab][other effects]
Chain 2: [empty][effects loop][amp][other effects]

Both chains then link into a stereo cab on chain 2.

I can't figure out how to pan the individual amps so that they're separated in the stereo cab, any advice would be awesome.

Also here is a quote from the Axe-Fx wiki - Yek's How to's pages at the following link :- Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Here's how to set up a preset for use with two guitars:

1. Method #1: use the FXL block and use Input2 Left for the additional instrument. If FXL is not connected to Input on the grid it enables the signal from Input2 to enter the grid. In the output mixer (or another block in both rows) set one row's balance to L, the other's to R to keep the signals separated. But: using FXL disables Copy Out1 > Out2 and you may need that.
  2. Method #2: use two rows with isolated input routing. First make I/O Input1 is set to Stereo. Connect the 2nd instrument to Input1 Right (rear). Use two separate rows. Start each one with an Amp. On their Advanced pages set Amp1 to use the left input (= front) and Amp2 to use the right input (= rear right). Add cab and post-amp effects (if there are many you need an Ultra). You don't have to use Amp blocks if your tone doesn't require one (piezo). Any block that can pan the input "hard" to left or right suffices, as long as it's in the first column (if it's not, there will be signal bleeding). For example a Mixer or NullFilter in the first column of each row will work too (pan each row). This also makes it possible to add effects before an Amp block: start with a NullFilter to pan the signal, put a Drive or effects after it, followed by Amp etc. Note that this method will the signals at the output and sends it through Output1. Having two rows with amps and instruments may add some hiss to the signal.
More information
Note: if you want accurate pitch tracking and envelope detection, use the front input or rear left input.
The latency of the Axe-Fx is about 1ms. Source
If you use various guitars chances are there will be level and tone differences. You can use Vol, Filter, Mixer or PEQ (or other) blocks to manage levels. You can use an equalizer to take out too much bass or treble in the signal, but more simple is to just use the guitar's tone control. More information

Back
Top Bottom