2 Guitars 1 Axe-FX II - Updated, in-depth

Hey Guys - probably a really dumb question, but its not clear to me how to connect a 2nd electirc guitar to the rear input. Can I go straight in with the guitar cord or do I need to go thru a DI box? The manual/wiki says the impendence is the same front and rear, but the rear is "line level". I guess I don't fully understand what the real world implications of that are. Any guidance would be appreciated.

@chrisallen8888 - great video! well put together and very informative.

Hello Chris and everyone.

I am using the axe fx II with my mag and archtop piezo. I run them discreetly but at the same time. What is the best way to route the left and right signals at he end of the chain to a stereo delay and stereo reverb? I want the mag side going to the left in & out of the delay and reverb, and piezo side going to the right in and out of the delay and reverb.

Also, is there an advantage to using the input 2 right on the back for the piezo?

Thanks, Jim

Thanks, Jim
I want to run t

Also, is there an advantage to using the input 2 right on the back for the piezo?

I don't use input 2, I use input 1 right. I do this so I don't have to use input 2 or involve the fx loop block. Then I can use copy out1 to out2 and have 6 outputs (or 3 stereo).

As for routing to stereo delays etc, I have never used one so I'd have to do some research.

As for using a DI, I don't and I just plug straight into the rear input for piezo. I've also run my electric into the rear as well with no DI or problems either.

So ... I've gotten this working great the last months.

I'm wanting to introduce some keys ...

Can I do the electric, piezo, and put keyboards in on another input?

I imagine if I can, I would need to run something so incredibly simply for the keyboard to not max out the CPU.

You can add any 2nd input using the same method. Piano, bass, a 2nd electric, whatever. Just design the row accordingly.

Hey man ... really really helpfull ... so, I ve tried it at home, I use front panel for electric guitar 1 and rear right for electric guitar 1 wich is tuned to eb ... I m wondering, what happen if I play both guitars at the same time ? ... I tried it and they sound both into my monitors ... so, do u think I can use this for lessons ? I m using a cheap microcube for lessons and this will be much better to be honest, but I m not sure if its secure to play both guitars at the same time all the time ... :) thx for the help brother

an easy way to run two instruments simultaneously...

set inout 1 to stereo
use input 1 left (front panel)
inout 1 right (back panel)

make a layout with two lines running across the grid
put an amp and cab in each line (so you're using two amps and two cabs)
at the beginning of each line, put a volume block
in one volume block, set inout select to left
in the other volume block set input select to right

you can place any fx you want inbetween the volume block and the amp and any fx you like after the cabs

if you have a stereo monitoring system, you can pan the two instruments left and right - in layout view page right a few times and you'll see a page with the main patch volume slider and four level controls and four pan controls - these are for each row in the grid. pan the two controls for the two rows you're using hard left and right

Chris,

I don't see the patch attached here anymore. Do you have an updated patch you could post?

I'm particularly interested in the clean tone you demonstrated on the video.

i got your pm as well, sorry i've been extremely busy this past week and haven't been near my axe in a while. i'll try to get you the preset soon, but it was really just a Double Verb amp, any cab and the Pitch block set to Detune. the secret though is the coil tap of the JP guitar in the middle position.

Hi, can I run two guitars but both sound at the same time in L+R?

yes, this is how it functions by default. the panning at the beginning of the layout splits the Input. the Output will be both Left and Right, unless you specifically pan rows in the Output block or by other methods.

Thanks Chris! Wasn't sure if you might see the PM.

Appreciate any help! (If you know of a preset on AxeChange similar, that is ok too ... mostly the clean electric sound)

Is it possible to run 2 guitars in stereo in terms of outputs?

I was thinking of using the FX block at the end of guitar 1, to use outputs 2 in stereo, then just use the normal outputs 1 for guitar 1. Is this possible?

Is it possible to run 2 guitars in stereo in terms of outputs?

I was thinking of using the FX block at the end of guitar 1, to use outputs 2 in stereo, then just use the normal outputs 1 for guitar 1. Is this possible?

Yes

Great thanks!

Also, I've been reading something that Hi Res Amps turn off when using 2 amp blocks in one patch. Is this right?

Back
Top Bottom