2 Guitars 1 Axe-FX II - Updated, in-depth

just wanted to see his thought process... it may clue into why the 2k needed 12db boost. i haven't heard the preset yet, just looked in axe-edit.

Martin Acoustic IR...

Chris!!! DUDE!!! You have to check out this Martin HD28 IR I found. That is, unless you have already tried it. Much less EQ needed IMHO.

Attachments

• Martin-HD28.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 42
Chris!!! DUDE!!! You have to check out this Martin HD28 IR I found. That is, unless you have already tried it. Much less EQ needed IMHO.

thanks i'll try it in a bit! i read about an hd28 somewhere but couldn't find it...

Cool deal about the IR. Chris - I've read about using PEQ's to control the bottom and top as well as accentuate/fix certain bands in the middle. I haven't listened to the patch I posted in a studio environment or even though my IEM's yet. I was trying to match my amp's "in the room" tone for that one module. I am sure our FOH guy will have me back down the 2k so he can have more control. But, that was my unscientific twist of the knobs first attempt at creating my own patch from your template.

Best,

-Chris

shoot i did have that martin IR :) but it sounds better through my k10s at a louder volume than it did on my studio monitors... haven't tested my full rig in a while, happen to have a k10 plugged in right now.

the taylor gives me that parlor feel and the martin gives the dread feel. 2 great things to have and to switch between! yay!

I was a/bing my Mod50/PCOS2x12 using a VX module vs a pair of QSC HPR122's and the Axe. The X/Y amp was my attempt to reproduce the dual VX module on the Egnater. Maybe it was the QSC's, maybe the room, etc. But, the only way I could reproduce the Egnater's tone was the crank the 2k slider on the amp's GEQ.
what kind of speakers are in your cab? maybe your cab naturally accentuates the 2k, where as a FRFR like the HPR series does not and i remember the highs were very crisp.

i loaded your preset and most of the amp values seem to be at default; is this correct? also i felt i wanted a bit more drive/gain using my guitar. how clean is this patch supposed to be? i bumped up the bright cap on the advanced page a bit and it started to open up a bit more for me.

bumping that 2k 12dB definitely makes a difference in the tone. maybe that's just how to get that kinda sound?

thread hijack!

omg watching a recent "bad company" concert and DAMN they sound great! the singer is just phenominal! glad to see they still have it.

holy crap, then the same station played the new chickenfoot with kenny aronoff on drums... and now they are playing a dream theater music video?! what the heck!

Last edited:
Talk about ADD!!! Hey, it's your thread man. Derail it all you want. So did you check out that MArtin HD-28 IR yet? I NEED more acoustic IR's, I'm hooked. I think the Fishman's suck. I still haven't tried them all though... Maybe one day.

That IR is very good. I was able to forego the tube preamp, add a little eq, and change the room size a bit. Doesn't need delay or as much reverb. Regarding my amp settings, I see what you mean about the cap parameter. It opens up the response and allows me to back down the drastic 2k bump. I still like the heavy mids for the clean "x" amp channel. Studio space is, well, "under construction" at the moment. So, I checked the preset through a set of studio cans and my iems... Not so bueno... But, it's fun to keep tweaking.

The combo I am comparing it is an Egnater Mod50 Vx module through a Port City OS2x12 with a Governor/Texas Heat speaker combo. I was using a Godin LGXSA to tweak the patches. But, my main guitar is partocaster with HSS Seymour Duncans. I is much more dynamic. So, I think I was trying to make up for the tone that I don't like from the Godin's pickups...

But... I took the plunge and ordered a RCF NX12-SMA. So, hopefully I'll be able to tone down some of the eq even more and eventually sell off the Eggie. As much as I love it, I'm playing in 3 very different bands and really need the ability to have a small footprint, be able to work with IEM's/FOH for as well as carry the room myself with my little 4 piece.

As for the thread, you guys should take it anywhere you'd like! It is very informative. Ever thought of setting up an exp pedal modifier for the mixers and using a footswitch to blend/switch the piezo/mag sound?

Best,

-Chris

I've tried the expression pedal blending, but didn't spend much time with it. I ended up setting up an IA to toggle Cab blocks inversely. A/B between mag and piezo. This way is hands free which is cool at times and not so cool at other times but I can program it however I want depending on the preset. For blending with the expression pedal you need to use specialized curves. Near the middle of the rotation you want them to be near full volume. One curve will look like a hill while the other will look like a 'U'. These are approximations off the top of my head. Actually, no. I'm wrong. They would not look like that. They need to start and end opposite of each other and be near 100% in the middle. If you tweak the start and end percentages of each you can have nice range to work with so the sweet spot isn't hard to get to with your exp pedal. Make sense?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

man, i tried all from your latest video, with an amp i.e. the problem is, that on Ultra you CANT select input for Drive pedals, there is no page 3...and i'll check out everything again tomorow, thanks for your responce mate!

maybe because i can't select the input for drive pedals, i get the same combined sound on both left and right channels?

yeah, if you're doing this with an ultra, do everything as instructed in the video, but in the first column, use two volume blocks. use the "balance" parameter to select whether you want right or left input. you can then put whatever you want in either row.

I hope I didn't miss that this was already addressed, but has anyone had issues using an a/b pedal into the axe II? I tried with my a/b/y. Perhaps it's the y of the a/b/y causing probs, but I noticed the impedance and/or strength of the signal was so diminished that I lost the tone of my patches. I didn't have a noticeable problem on my tube amps. Thoughts? Direction to another thread? Thanks!

I hope I didn't miss that this was already addressed, but has anyone had issues using an a/b pedal into the axe II? I tried with my a/b/y. Perhaps it's the y of the a/b/y causing probs, but I noticed the impedance and/or strength of the signal was so diminished that I lost the tone of my patches. I didn't have a noticeable problem on my tube amps. Thoughts? Direction to another thread? Thanks!

If you go to the edit screen and go over to page 2 I think. The one that says Gate. All the way on the right (I think) you can select the input impedance. It is most likely on auto which should be the best option. I would verify that it is on auto.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Very informative tutorial.. Thanks!

Does anyone know how to set up a single MIX block between the two signal paths so that I can use a pedal controller to pan between the two outputs (with the guitar pickup blend knob in the middle position)?

Hey Chris,

Thank you for this video. I was trying to help someone set up their AXE FX two for Electric and Acoustic not at the same time most of the time. I wasn't able to explain it too well and decided to look to see if anyone else had. When I found this, it was perfect!!! You go through and explain it perfectly!! Thank you. It has helped me as well. I hope to get to Hawaii again soon the Jam with you and the guys at the store. That was fun last time. Thank you for sharing your process with everyone. :
-)

Hey thanks Larry! Yeah I'd love to jam with you again! I actually left that music store and started my own photography, video, music company, just small stuff :) but definitely lemme know if you come this way and I'll play drums!!

Back
Top Bottom