2 Axe III's via MIDI

mwd

Power User
We use a backing track that also sends MIDI PC's to our two Fractal Axe III's via MacBook Pro. I have always controlled mine via USB and my buddy's via 5 Pin DIN in a MIDI daisy chain of multiple electronic devices. We did a rewire to our mixer/console and now I'm trying to trigger both Axe III's via MIDI USB and am not getting good results. Either his will trigger or mine but not both. I'm using a non-powered USB hub. I found an adapter for it so tomorrow night I will try again with the hub powered and see if it makes a difference.

We are on 2 different MIDI channels is there any reason that anyone could think of why 2 Fractals couldn't trigger PC's off of one laptop via USB if they are on different channels?

The USB hub has switches so my hope was to be able to switch USB access to one Axe or the other off for 1 computer, 1 editor, 2 Fractal operation.

Sending MIDI to two AxeFX III's that are simultaneously connected via USB should work. There's no need to use different midi channels since those will be distinct midi ports. You should see two different devices in both the Audio/MIDI app and your DAW. That said, I don't have 2 AxeFX III's available to try it out myself :).

Last edited:
I don't think that's possible... As far as I know, USB operates between 2 devices.
What made me think it would work is I have 3 USB chains plugged into the laptop working. One is USB Mio to Eventide to VoiceLive to Fractal #2 and the other is USB to Fractal #1. The third is going to a hub which powers two more USB to DMX and USB to X32. All working. The weirdness started when I plugged 2 Fractals via USB.

use dins not usb. USB "can" do weird things. I only have one USB midi link - top my interface. Everything after than is 5 pin din.

Reactions: mwd
Well I tried the powered USB hub it did not help. In reality things just got weirder. With both Axe III's hooked up via MIDI only one set of PC events would work. I wound up running 1 Axe via USB and 1 via 5-Pin DIN. Even stranger is my hub has switches to shut off each USB connection. If I shut the switch off to the mouse it quits working. If I shut the switch off to my Axe that is getting it's PC messages via USB it still changes presets. Twilight Zone right here.

If I shut the switch off to my Axe that is getting it's PC messages via USB it still changes presets.
Out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing? Are you using a DAW? Are you addressing the PC events to two different midi ports on two different tracks within the same session? Do you have both AxeFX's connected directly to the hub?

Have you ever used the Midi Studio under Audio-Midi Setup in Mac OS.
Here you have the possibility to control the midi flow of inputs and outputs.

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing?

We use Showbuddy and a MacBook Pro and play to backing parts we record for a small 3 piece combo. I record bass, sometimes key parts, have a friend play drums and then we play 2 guitars and vocals live. In the past we have used Showbuddy to control 10 or 12 MIDI devices, plus the lights but we have downsized over time.

Previously I controlled my III with USB MIDI and my bandmates with DIN because it was a 25 foot MIDI run. We both had laptops for edits. USB ports are always in shortage. Recently we did a revamp, moved our gear next to each other, and I put a powered, switchable USB hub and my attempt was to control both Axes via USB and have the ability to switch the USB on one or the other off so I could use one laptop to edit a preset on either unit. I have tried one USB into the hub and one directly into the MacBook. I think I've tried both directly into the MacBook but only one will change PC's when both plugged in via USB. I have them on 2 different channels. In a given song Showbuddy operates our lights, multiple X32 messages, micro adjust volumes per song, changes Eventide on vocals and changes presets and scenes on both Fractals and operates a vocal harmonizer. Pretty trouble free for many years but our recent revamp has exposed some quirks.

I have them on 2 different channels.
That's the part that doesn't sound right. That makes it sound like you're only sending midi to one of the two AxeFX's. You should address them as separate devices, not channels. Plug them both into the hub, launch Audio/MIDI setup, open the MIDI window, and see how many AxeFX MIDI devices it shows.

there is another possible issue.

I work for a manufacturer of industrial Coding machines. Barcodes, FRID etc. with some products its seem that PCs (and macs) wont differentiate between 2 units that are the same make and model over USB. We often have to resort to one via USs with a second and sometimes 3rd over serial connections (old style that is - obviously USB is a serial connection).

its a PITA..... doesnt matter what Mac address you use, what ip address, how you address them on the bus itself - it just sees the second device as the first one being moved to a different port - and ignores the first.

That's the part that doesn't sound right. That makes it sound like you're only sending midi to one of the two AxeFX's. You should address them as separate devices, not channels.
I will certainly try your recommendation tonight at rehearsal but I thought that was the point of having 16 MIDI channels plus Omni to control different devices. We've controlled, at various times, dozens of pieces of gear without conflict putting each device on it's own channel over the past decade BUT I've never controlled 2 Axe III's via USB before. Is that why you say it doesn't sound right?

I currently have the X32, My Axe III and DMX lights all being controlled by USB with no conflict by using different channels. The Eventide, 2nd Axe and VoiceLive via 5-Pin DIN using these channel assignments.

1 - X32 Scenes
2 - X32 Snippets
3 - X32 Cue
4 - X32 Cue
5 - X32 Cue
6 - X32 Cue
7 - Open
8 - Open
9 - VoiceLive 2
10 - Eventide
11 - (M) Axe III
12 - Open
13 - (D) Axe III
14 - Open
15 - DMXIS Banks
16 - DMXIS Presets

I think you're confusing ports and channels. midi devices connected via usb are distinct midi ports. Channels are only used when addressing multiple devices (or multitimbral synths) on a single port. That's what makes me think the problem might be the way you're addressing your midi devices. However, the problem paulmapp8306 described could also account for it.

The problem is you'll have a hard time finding somebody on the forum who has 2 AxeFX III's who can confirm it's a usb problem. OTOH, FAS tech support has ready access to AxeFX III's and could easily check this for you.

I think my confusion comes in me thinking that whether a device is connected via DIN or USB that channels are enough to separate the devices. You have made me realize another factor in the USB port problem. My Midi studio on the MacBook installed an instance of the Axe III and the default is Port 1 In/Out with all channels activated (omni). I'm going to dig further and make sure I have two instances of Axe III's in MIDI studio and set different ports, and set the particular channels (in MIDI Studio) to see if routing straightens out. I will know soon enough and post back. Good news is plan B is working.

V-Midi is a Virtual 4 Port Midi Device

1627073117164.png
1627073226966.png1627073285248.png

You see the FX3 Communicate over the Virtual Mdi Device
1627073377012.png

The Midi guidelines say that if the same information goes from one source to 2 destinations, this is only possible via a Midi interface with several inputs and outputs. Or Midi in Device 1 and forward via Midi-Thru.

Now both FX3 can be operated at the same Midi port. Comparable works also with audio under Mac OS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom