2 amp sound

jlglespaul

Inspired
i don't see alot of presets with one amp and cab on left and a different amp and cab going to the right ?
i am trying to get a big rock sound and surprised i don't see more presets set up like that.

Got any thoughts or preset suggestions ?

thanks

Very few people run two amps simultaneously in practice. Nowadays with a billion IRs out there, you can find the sonic result you seek that way via singular amp.

If you are looking for a more pronounced stereo effect, try using two EQs panned hard left and right and alter them slightly from one another. Maybe pick a few frequencies add a few db to each, then delete the same amount from the other side, yielding a net zero effect mixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am working on a couple - the main one has the 5153 with 4x25 german and the other has friedman hbe with 4x25 broadwick
but i then run them into the same delay . . .

What style of tone you trying to get with that configuration? I am looking for a new modern rock tone....

i don't see alot of presets with one amp and cab on left and a different amp and cab going to the right ?
i am trying to get a big rock sound and surprised i don't see more presets set up like that.

Got any thoughts or preset suggestions ?

thanks

There are a number of threads about this.
Try this for starters, read thru all pages, there are a number of ideas in each.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/75709-30-ms-delay-but-nothing-else.html

cheers

pre V15 there was a petrucci rhythm that used a vol and a delay below it - it gave a big sound - the problem was trying to make a scene that had more delay for a solo - but that is what am going for without delay phasing

i use a few presets with two amps and cabs. it certainly is a big sound. much nicer than using a short delay and wider than just using two different panned cabs. when i switch to lead, i just use one of the amps panned centre.

i use a few presets with two amps and cabs. it certainly is a big sound. much nicer than using a short delay and wider than just using two different panned cabs. when i switch to lead, i just use one of the amps panned centre.

i find that my CPU max's out on me when i try to use two amps and two cabs. anyone else get that?

The problem that I've always had when creating dual amp patches is that it just adds soooo many more variables. I may get two awesome tones, but then when they're mixed together they don't quite jive. Then figuring out what needs to be altered takes a huge amount of tweaking.

My main tone is two amps and cabs panned left and right, and it's perfect to me, haven't tweaked a thing in months. It's a combo of FAS Modern and Spawn Q-rod 2nd with cabs from the OH high Gain Essentials pack. I never ran into the problems with trying to tweak two complementary tones, I just stuck them together and they almost immediately sounded good.

Here's a quick demo (listen in stereo, obviously):

I always felt that kind of setup was overrated/overstated in terms of IRL use (see L6 Vetta/X3 literature selling this feature). I have a few presets that use it to good effect, but I just tend to think in terms of a single base amp tone I guess.

What style of tone you trying to get with that configuration? I am looking for a new modern rock tone....

In which case you probably want to double track. At which point having two amps/cabs in the one patch is just getting in the way. Have the two patches as single amp/cab and do two performances of the same part. Pan hard left and right... sounds massive.

For live you could get a similar sound by running a very short (4-10ms) delay full wet (no dry) on just one side (say right). But it won't sound as good as double tracking.

In which case you probably want to double track. At which point having two amps/cabs in the one patch is just getting in the way. Have the two patches as single amp/cab and do two performances of the same part. Pan hard left and right... sounds massive.
Exactly. Multi-tracking is an awesome, proven, recording technique but multi-amps for live takes some conscious effort and a different approach for what may or may not be a tonal benefit.

Don't get me wrong, as I noted, I have double amp patches and they can sound great, but I'd never consider them the foundation of "my" tone. :)

I always felt that kind of setup was overrated/overstated in terms of IRL use (see L6 Vetta/X3 literature selling this feature). I have a few presets that use it to good effect, but I just tend to think in terms of a single base amp tone I guess.

Back with the Vetta/X3 it was actually a really good technique for combatting some of the negative elements of amp sims. It's not quite a necessity like it was at that point.

A lot of my patches posted to the Exchange use two different amps for a big sound.

It's kind of cool in that the sum of the two amps is greater than the individual amps.

It's a great way to get a sound that is impossible for one amp to make on its own due to different tubes, tone stacks, and tonal characteristics.

For example, combining a clean amp and a dirty or hi-gain amp in different volume ratios gives you a tone you could not get any other way.

My high gain patches almost always include two amps. I don't pan them apart, because it never sounds good to my ears. What I usually end up with is one "dominant" amp, and a second one with the level lowered just enough to make itself heard without overwhelming the character of the first.

I guess its taste. Of course its more saturated but i feel you kinda lose that organic sound. I noticed it disappears with two amps but if you like it then you like it.

Back
Top Bottom