1st stab at mixing and recording

hey dude... I only believe in constructive critique....
so.... here goes...

at this point, the issues are less about the recording / mixing, and more about the timing and phrasing of the playing

the bulk of the timing issues feel like they're coming from the bass..
the bass and drums combined [the rhythm section] is what forms the foundation upon which you do your thing...
if this foundation is not that solid, then you are making life difficult for yourself...
and likewise this will manifest itself in timing / phrasing instability in the subsequent layers you record...

suggestion:
in the interests of greater stability, try laying down a simpler bass line..
especially simpler with respect to timing and phrasing..
this will offer a more solid platform for you to play guitar over..

like anything, the more you do of it the better it gets...
so keep working at it, but maybe take a smaller bite of the cake at first...
with time and experience, you'll develop and be able to start throwing down more demanding lines...
place your emphasis on doing something well, rather than doing something difficult..
over time, the level of difficulty will increase and I doubt you'll even notice because it's a natural progression...

lil' tip:
you must keep this recording.. and all other recordings... and throw a date on them..
improving your playing is like 'getting taller' when you grow up.. you just don't notice...
make a little note to yourself that every January and every July you'll take a little time to scope out some of your old recordings..
when you hear your early attempts never think "oh my god.. was that really me??" because no-one... like absolutely no-one is born playing..
comparing those early recordings to later ones you should hear a very gradual but steady progress..
so at the end of this you should have a lil' smile and be thinking "actually yeah... I'm moving forwards... and it feels great.."

conclusion:
as a first attempt I'd say you're doing pretty good...
stick at it and enjoy the journey..
success is never measured by where you end up.. but by the joy you got getting there...
stick at it... and love doing it..

Thanks clarky, I really appreciate your comments :) Yeah, I'm new to bass, so I try to play it like a guitar, so I wholeheartedly agree with your comment. I sequenced a drum loop and played a guitar track that I did not use and then played the bass line and then the guitar again. For just whipping this out of my a$$, I'm pretty happy and had a lot of fun doing it. This wouldn't be a song I would write but just farting around, I feel I'm ready to start to seriously think about what I want to do. The axe has made that a possibility. It is so easy to get a good tone so you can just play. Thanks again for the critique and have a great evening! Mike

Back
Top Bottom