1st practice with the axe.. few questions guys...

Dudeskin

Inspired
Hi all.
Had my 1st band practice with the axe 2 last night. And I loved it. I can really start to expand my music in the band now I have it.

So, a few questions I could do with help with please.

I get a fair bit of feedback etc when I'm not playing even when I have the strings fully muted.
So I upped the threshold on the gate, but I lose sustain. I have the gate set well for studio though.
Not sure what I need to do to make it clear up without losing dynamics or sustain.

Next,
It might have Been the cab I used ,its not mine at the room, but I lacked definition like it had too much boom and bassey sounds along with the normal sound.
I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it then,but I don't have it at low volumes at home. I just didn't have a tight low end,clarity and definition I want.

Can you help please guys.

Thanks
Joe

Well first thing I'd say would be you weren't using the cab your presets were set up for ... so thats going to affect things quite badly.

The easiest and quickest place to tweak in that case would be the Global EQ for the Output you're sending to the amp and cab rather than diving into the blocks in your preset chains - no point doing that if its only to suit a temporary cab.

You don't get the feedback at home through your own cab? You said you play loud at home - loud as in as loud as you were at the rehearsal? It sort of sounds like your presets might have been set up at lower playing volumes and the pesky FM effect has buggered about with the tone when you're playing at full backline volumes (and again, through a different speaker/cab). You might have too much gain, bass and highs dialled in to compensate for lower volume playing at home?

Best practice is to make sure you bring your complete rig to next rehearsal and dial in or tweak your main presets at the volumes you gig at - start with cleans to get a level and then notch them back a little at preset level and turn up the output because the hi gain tones will need higher levels at preset level to cut through the backline - you prob know all this already as its a thing all types of backline amps need set up like.

Global eq is your best friend for quick fixes to suit rooms, stages etc.

Have you set up your Axe presets so FOH mixer gets Output 1 and backline gets Output 2 (ie no cab block in your path to the backline amp/cab)?

What power amp were you using? Also was it same one you use at home or different?

Posting a preset that gave trouble might let people load it and look for likely problems.

If you're getting feedback with the strings muted, something is microphonic.

As for the boominess, the most likely suspect at the moment is the cab (you're not running with cab sims enabled, are you?). It could also be the room. Try a different cab and see what results you get.

If it turns out not to be the cab, there are lots of things you can try (the amp's bass knob or GEQ, various low-cut options in the amp and cab blocks, additional GEQ or PEQ blocks...).

Back
Top Bottom