1st Bad Gig With The Axe Part II (clip included)

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
First part of this is in this thread.

So had the same issues at church today. Same weird fuzzy/fizzy clipping like tones. Verified no weird eq/compressors/etc was on my channel, tried new cables, tried going unbalanced into a DI into the digital snake. The only thing we didn't get to try is to try it in a different channel on the snake. I recorded a quick clip using the exact same patch i work all my "worship" patches off of, same ones I used last night and today. Using a stock Les Paul Traditional into the DC30 in the Axe into a stereo cab of OH ir's. Do any of you hear any weird digital clipping/fizz/fuzz?? I don't. First pass is the pups split, second is bridge, third is bridge with first stage od (zen drive) and fourth is 2nd stage OD (BB Pre).

I'm also attaching the patch so any of you can try it and see if you have issues, although you'll have to match a cab to it since I use user cabs. If any of you have the new OH I use the LG M-RI25-75 and the LG H-RI-75, stereo ultra res, 80 low cut 10000 hi cut, panned center.

View attachment 26601

Look forward to hearing your replies, and hoping that I'm not crazy, lol.

Last edited:
Sounds fine to me. My AFX is in the trailer, so I couldn't load up your preset to listen but heard nothing bad in the recording. Got to be something outside your unit, it would seem.

Sounds fine to me. My AFX is in the trailer, so I couldn't load up your preset to listen but heard nothing bad in the recording. Got to be something outside your unit, it would seem.

thanks for giving it a listen, glad I'm not going crazy!

Cliff, if you read this, could dirty power cause what I'm describing? I plugged into the bass players conditioner the last few weeks....I never even thought about that being able to cause it.

Snake channel is one possibility if it was present in the loop of both bad instances. Maybe something in the signal you're monitoring otherwise. There are a lot of variables, and it always seems to be something simple... once you know what it is! If it keeps haunting you, I can come your way one evening and load your preset on my Axe Fx and try it on the system at the church. At least eliminate the preset that way. I have a feeling it is outside the black box, though.

It's sounds great to me. What board/digital snake is it? I have an X32, but no snake. I'm trying to think if i would approach troubleshooting differently with a digital snake than I would conventional. I'm guessing the a/d converter lies in the snake box, therefore trying a different channel would make sense. But I would also be curious to route it to a different channel on the board as well. I know you say nothing is on the channel, but I would still try a different one to rule out something being missed. I've done that before. With all of the layers sometimes to sift through, I would forget that I had something inserted in the channel. So I'm guessing it's the same snake channel this time as last time? and whatever was on the channel between now and then didn't experience any problems?

Bring headphones with you next time and check the signal from the headphone out of the Axe-Fx -- if it sounds fine there, it's on the output side of the signal chain.

Bring headphones with you next time and check the signal from the headphone out of the Axe-Fx -- if it sounds fine there, it's on the output side of the signal chain.

true. i use the same outs (XLR) to my CLR, seems like i'd get the issue there as well.

It actually sounds more like a real amp to me more than it ever did. If you go do a search on Youtube for some video clips of the real amp, or even better try get your hands on one for a demo, then you will find it is actually pretty much the same. I had the same experience with the VOX AC30, I thought the Axe Fx had some bad nuances and then I realised after watching a few YT vids and playing through my friend's JMI model that it's exactly like the real amp.

Plus I personally prefer that sort of sound, it seems to be more open and cut through the mix a lot easier too. Having said that, the tone/sound you are looking for is down to personal preference so even though I like your sound it might not be what you have in your mind at all.

It actually sounds more like a real amp to me more than it ever did. If you go do a search on Youtube for some video clips of the real amp, or even better try get your hands on one for a demo, then you will find it is actually pretty much the same. I had the same experience with the VOX AC30, I thought the Axe Fx had some bad nuances and then I realised after watching a few YT vids and playing through my friend's JMI model that it's exactly like the real amp.

Plus I personally prefer that sort of sound, it seems to be more open and cut through the mix a lot easier too. Having said that, the tone/sound you are looking for is down to personal preference so even though I like your sound it might not be what you have in your mind at all.

no, that's definitely the tone i'm looking for...i wish i had a recording from the board at the church so I could demonstrate how different it is. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything when listening to the recording. i love the tone.

thanks! i think so as well, that's why it's been so frustrating the last few weeks having to deal with my great tone not coming through IEM's or FOH!!

no, that's definitely the tone i'm looking for...i wish i had a recording from the board at the church so I could demonstrate how different it is. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything when listening to the recording. i love the tone.

I'd love to hear the church version too! I know exactly how you feel though, my sound is not consistent at my church because some sound guys like to 'tweak' your sound not realising you have already applied all the standard EQ, hi/low passes etc; resulting in such a thin sound. I normally have to beg them not to change anything but that's easier said than done.

Also our PA speakers are pretty good but getting old now, so they don't convey the sound of my guitar as well anymore (personally I think it's because someone fiddled with the crossover somewhere and has not fixed it).

thanks! i think so as well, that's why it's been so frustrating the last few weeks having to deal with my great tone not coming through IEM's or FOH!!

Interestingly, the mix I get through my IEMs is exactly as what I get at home, but in the building it's very different. I think my issue is more speakers/power amp related, and yours must somehow be to do with the mix on the desk. Sorry I'm probably stating the obvious but I'm thinking out loud as I type..... :)

I'd love to hear the church version too! I know exactly how you feel though, my sound is not consistent at my church because some sound guys like to 'tweak' your sound not realising you have already applied all the standard EQ, hi/low passes etc; resulting in such a thin sound. I normally have to beg them not to change anything but that's easier said than done.

Also our PA speakers are pretty good but getting old now, so they don't convey the sound of my guitar as well anymore (personally I think it's because someone fiddled with the crossover somewhere and has not fixed it).

yeah, and the annoying thing is that we tried everything EXCEPT switching to a different channel or input on the digital snake. made sure the channel was flat, no dynamics processing, etc. I'll post something from the stream that i feel like shoes the difference.

Back
Top Bottom