1RU tube power amps?? Anything available?

Georgy

Inspired
As the title suggests, is there 1RU tube power amp out there, other than the ENGL E810 which is 2x20w??

Ideally, something that is at least 50w, but preferably 100W?

I'm not an expert on tube power amps, but I would think that heat would be a big problem for a 1RU amp, which would explain why I can't find any. There's the Mesa 2:50 (which is 2RU), the Carvin TS100 (which is 2RU), or the Matrix GT800/GT100 (which is solid-state), and several others. As far as I can tell, you'll have to compromise on something.

Edit: nice find dpavel! Just got to wait for it to come out.

Why 1u? Other than space, what is the benefit? If it is so it can fit in a bigger case, I would invest in a different case. As, going 2u will substantially broaden your options.

Why 1u? Other than space, what is the benefit? If it is so it can fit in a bigger case, I would invest in a different case. As, going 2u will substantially broaden your options.

Fair question.. I currently own a Matrix GT1500FX and a Carvin TS100.. for me, ideally a 1RU tube power amp that would sit right under (or above my Matrix) in my 4RU rack would be super handy.. The Matrix would take care of the FRFR side of things )in conjunction with my Alto FRFR cab), and the Carvin would take care of my normal guitar cab.. That's the short story..

For me, having a less-weighty rack is ideal, I imagine this would be the case for most? That Fryette one looks absolutely ideal, but isn't that one the one that created all these issues for people?! People were leaving those guys some money but never got anything............ or something along those lines... (apologies if I'm wrong on that last comment.....)

The reason why 1U tube power amps are rare is the transformer - you'll need a toroidal one to fit. And toroidal output transformers aren't something widely available, plus some people say that they don't provide the same characteristics, so they change the sound.

That said, there ARE some options - R&R PWR-150 is a 50 watt 1U tube amp, and there are some others, but they won't be from Mesa or other popular manufacturers - they dont make hand made custom parts, I think.

Mesa Boogie had the 20/20 all tube 1RU, Marshall also had the 20/20 MonoBlock all tube 1RU, Engl make the 810 1RU tube power amp.

You can find both pretty regularly on Ebay and Reverb

The main reason most tube power amps are 2RU is the size of the transformers required. IMO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom