AFIII 1980's STUDIO RACK CLEAN TONE (w/ free patch!)

ProgressiveRocco

Power User
Hey everyone! :)
Here’s my recreation of the classic L.A. studio tone from the 80s, made famous by players like Landau, Thompson and Lukather just to name a few!
This is a completely re-worked patch (I also did one back some years ago for the Axe-Fx II), way better sounding and most importantly FREE for everybody to download and try! Keep in mind it was tweaked using a Fender American Standard strat on the 2nd pickup position (bridge+middle), this is a must have in order to achieve the sounds you hear in the video.

Taking inspiration from the classic Bob Bradshaw rack rigs, the core sound of the patch comes from the CAE 3+ preamp model, and features a plethora of effects modelled after the DBX 160 rack comp, Eventide H3000 harmonizer, Dytronics Tri Stereo Chorus and of course delay and reverb. There’s NO CAB in the patch, I find that’s the only way to achieve that iconic 80s sparkle on the top end, you can of course experiment adding a cab block depending on your taste!

Hope you guys like it! 🤘

PATCH DOWNLOAD:

Attachments

• 80s RACK CLEAN.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,341
Last edited:
Sounds killer as always!

B.T.W.... I believe that the 'Bridge+Middle' position is considered the 2nd position (bridge is #1, neck is #5)
View attachment 78535
It depends who you talk to. When I had my Suhr refinished due to a defect, I had to give them the wiring info they needed when they put the guitar back together & they called (as I do) bridge + middle position 4. To me it makes more sense that the neck PU is position 1 as the 5 way is closest to the neck PU in position 1. Anyway, I don't think there is any real standard.

Hey everyone! :)
Here’s my recreation of the classic L.A. studio tone from the 80s, made famous by players like Landau, Thompson and Lukather just to name a few!
This is a completely re-worked patch (I also did one back some years ago for the Axe-Fx II), way better sounding and most importantly FREE for everybody to download and try! Keep in mind it was tweaked using a Fender American Standard strat on the 2nd pickup position (bridge+middle), this is a must have in order to achieve the sounds you hear in the video.

Taking inspiration from the classic Bob Bradshaw rack rigs, the core sound of the patch comes from the CAE 3+ preamp model, and features a plethora of effects modelled after the DBX 160 rack comp, Eventide H3000 harmonizer, Dytronics Tri Stereo Chorus and of course delay and reverb. There’s NO CAB in the patch, I find that’s the only way to achieve that iconic 80s sparkle on the top end, you can of course experiment adding a cab block depending on your taste!

Hope you guys like it! 🤘

PATCH DOWNLOAD:

How does this sound with humbuckers?

The screenshot that I posted was from Fender. So I assumed that it was the official numbering convention.

Sorry for bringing it up Rocco.. :rolleyes: I need to use P.M.s more often.

Last edited:
Fine, the tip of the switch is pointing towards the neck pickup in position 1 if position 1 is the neck pick up. Happy now???
Honestly it doesn't matter to me, but the logic is no different.

If the bridge pickup is position 1 then the tip of the switch is pointing towards the bridge in position 1 :)

Not trying to argue or say you're incorrect, just commenting on the logic.

Or maybe you're being more literal than I am? I guess I am really meaning "pointing in the direction of the bridge pickup"...

Personally for a long time I thought of the neck pickup as position 1 but none of my guitars had 5-way switches, either.

Back
Top Bottom